Bill Evans Trio - "Explorations" from 1961 Riverside Records - XRCD or SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by misterbozz, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

That's it...the "one." :edthumbs:

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Rpd, see my posts above.

All XRCDs used the K2 technology.

3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

The XRCD sounds wonderful! Very large sounding with excellent detail (but not bright).....tonight I saw a used copy of Explorations SACD.....should I have gotten it?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No.

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

thanks Steve! I saved $7.99 then :)

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. You were not referring to the recent SHM-SACD, I would think. That one sounds wonderful (and I am quite critical of most of the SHM-SACD's).

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The SHM-SACD is the best, like the most Jazz SACD reissues by Universal Japan.

8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, it's excellent.

On the cardboard sleeve, it's printed: DSD remastering engineer: Masaru Takagi (SIP)/S.R.S
    What's that (SIP) S.R.S, do you know?

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The SHM-SACD is excellent, though I do not have the 1997 XRCD that folks here have been touting. After the SHM-SACD, I like the Japanese VDJ CD and then the Analogue Productions SACD.

10. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

11. Derek

Derek New Member

I have the 2002 Riverside 20bitK2 of Explorations. Sound pretty good to me. Anybody else compare this with the SACD or other versions?

12. Steve Hoffman

A reminder, if you don't have it, you need the XRCD K2 EXPLORATIONS/Bill Evans Trio.

It's the best of all of them and I have all of them right here. Been spending a few hours with this classic album. The XRCD mastered by Alan Yoshida at A&M Mastering is THE BEST version. The most tuneful, dynamic, accurate, lifelike version of this album.

Thank God Bill Evans hated the piano at Reeves Sound Studio. The change to Bell Sound insured that there would be NO distortion overload on the piano. The engineer was Bill Stoddard.

Grab the XRCD. Can't be more than a few bucks now!

Mine looks like this: Bill evans.jpg

ETSEQ and theron d like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

BTW, Scott's bass on the XRCD version is to die for. That's Alan's touch..

theron d likes this.
  14. Steve, have you heard the SHM-SACD from a couple of years ago? It has received the highest praises from many forum members,and I also think it is one of the best SHM-SACD.

Now I am curious about that XRCD, but I am sure it is not cheap and probably $30+ or so.

15. Steve Hoffman

YES.

16. Steve Hoffman

It's 30 bucks? Still?

17. O.k., good to know.

Now we know that you like the old XRCD best, but how would you rate the SHM-SACD among the other versions? Do you think it is decent or don't you like it very much for whatever reason?

18. Well, it is out of print and an audiophile pressing. And Bill Evans is a relatively popular Jazz artist.

On Amazon.com, used copies are available from $45. With a little search it can be maybe found for around $30 or so, but I doubt it can be found much cheaper.

19. By the way, wasn't this album a candidate for a DCC release at one point, but it wasn't followed through because some audiophile critic wouldn't give it a high rating because it wasn't wide stereo or something like that. I don't recall the full story, and maybe that was another album by Bill Evans, and I am mixing things up.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, Steve mastered Explorations for DCC, but it was never released. It's still listed in his discography on this board, though: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/DCC/3865

21. I am a little confused about the XRCD, since there seem to be two different XRCD's, and earlier one and a later one. Is this correct? Do they share the same mastering?

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

It depends on what you focus on, if you prefer this or that.

I have not heared this XRCD. (I have some other jazz XRCDs)
    But in general speaking, the piano sound is a very complex thing to get it sound right. SACD revals a more full bodied and harmonic complex sound of the instrument, more the way you here it live, Imo.

This "in your room presence" is the most important thing for me, so I guess the SHM-SACD would be my choise.
    But you knew that.... :)

SteelyTom likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

The piano was too far right for his tastes.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

25. How silly is that?

How can an audiophile release be rated by something the original engineer decided to do mix-wise.

Oh well, at least we have good sounding versions of this album available now. I love this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.