Bill Monroe would be 100 today if he were still alive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

Happy birthday to the Father of Bluegrass if he were still alive on this Earth today. His music and his influence will live on forever though.

3. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Seconded!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thirded! :D

Even if there isn't such a word! :laugh:

5. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

There have been a lot of country greats with innovative sounds, but Bill Monroe is the only one that can lay claim to creating a new genre of music.

6. BradOlson

Exactly. Bill IS one of a kind.

7. jackaroe

jackaroe Active Member

Guess I should spin some Bill Monroe tonight - on that point, what's some good sounding Bill Monroe. The Music of Bill Monroe set from a few years ago is pretty good. Any others?

8. BradOlson

That is a perfect start, jackaroe. Fortunately, just about all of his CDs are well mastered.

9. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Lookin' Back.

H. Birthday, Bill Monroe.

10. Here's something interesting:

http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/acd77.html

Check out the list of players:

11. jackaroe

jackaroe Active Member

That's very good to know - thanks. You want the best transfer possible with those old recordings. Absolutely brilliant music.

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Bear Family has you covered there, things like the Monroe Brothers recordings could be found in a range of masterings from Bear Family, down to RCA/BMG and who knows what else, I haven't heard any others, I think JSP has a box on them.

And so it goes. The MCA CD's seem to sound pretty good, Bear Family, Smithsonian Folkways, after that, a crapshoot?

The CD I mentioned in an earlier post, on the Silver Eagle label is the single best sounding Bill Monroe recording I've yet heard. It's a live performance from 1984.

13. I've got two of the Bear Family sets (so far), and they are truly outstanding.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I got to meet Bill Monroe in 1976 at KLAC Radio when I engineered there weekdays after school. He was a real legend. I was actually scared of him considering he invented an entire style of music, heh. He looked at long-haired me like I was a bug he wanted to squish but he got really friendly when I started asking him some very good questions about his deep catalog. He knew I was a fan..

Meeting guys like Bill Monroe, Roy Acuff and Johnny Cash, etc. made the $3.25 an hour I was getting at KLAC seem like a fortune.

Mr. H likes this.
  15. BradOlson

That sounds like a great time you had with the Father of Bluegrass. BTW, even though he has been gone for several years from this Earth (he died on Sept. 9, 1996, just a few days shy of his 85th birthday) this is still important news.

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

i saw him a couple of times and also had the pleasure of meeting him. he did a show at the lone star roadhouse in new york. we knew the staff so we pretty much had the run of the place. we watched the show sitting on the edge of the stage. towards the end of the set he called out for requests and mine was uncle pen to which he replied 'that's a good one!' and they went right into it. during the song a woman came clogging up the middle of the floor in front of the stage. while the band kept playing bill jumped right in with her. and this was only a few years before he passed away so he was no kid. after the show he went to every table and thanked each person for coming to see him. he was one of the only people i've met in the business that i called mister. he deserved that respect.

17. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

One of the best concerts I ever went to was a Bill Monroe show in the late 80s when he was pushing 80. He played for a couple of hours, took requests, and delivered a very enjoyable evening.

18. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

It's been one of my musical regrets that I never got to see a Bill Monroe concert.:cry:

19. BradOlson

I've never had a chance to see a Bill Monroe concert either.

20. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I 'discovered' him for myself, probably around 1993-4, right when he was near the end of his life, otherwise I might have. He toured and played many, many shows, in all kind of venues.

21. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I had the distinct privilege of meeting him and interviewing him in 1989, when I worked at a local television station. He was a real gentleman. I remain in awe of his talent, I have all the Bear Family boxes...

22. BradOlson

Me too.

23. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

I saw him with my family when I was maybe 12 or 13, around 1990. I remember when he asked for requests my father was ready and shouted out "Roanoke!" and they kicked right into it. Monroe must have been pushing 80 but he could still run that tune down pretty good...

24. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Very cool. With all the wringing of hands around here about the state of rock and pop and all that’s trendy, it’s cool to see bluegrass bands and fans having so much fun with music and the ancient river that runs through it.

25. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Can't You Hear Me Calling is a good, if somewhat breezy biography of Monroe. I was surprised to learn of his financial troubles late in life, he was nearly broke.

Here's a review for something called the Bill Monroe Reader. I ain't read it.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/bill-monroe-reader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.