Bill Putnam, recording engineer of Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ask me anything about the recording of I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU. It's still in my brain from when I was working on remastering it back in the late 1980s with Ray Charles.

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, I just happen to have my copy of "Uh Huh" with me at the office. I cued up track 13, disc 1, and "Wow", that's a great song and it sounds, lush. Bill Putnam was good. While I have no specific questions about "I Can't Stop Loving You", you could just tell us what you remember :)

"sing the song children"

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

"I Can't Stop Loving You" is my favorite Ray Charles recording. Just glorious.

4. Steve Hoffman

Sounds like a big room, doesn't it? Nope, that's the SMALLER room at United, studio B. Bill was the master of echo and since he invented it for recording, he does it well.

Notice how he spreads the strings out? The high strings on the left, the lower strings on the right, Ray's piano on the left with the guitar and bass, drums and chorus on the right, Ray in the middle with all kinds of yummy bleed. Done live to two-track and single track. Ray did all of those songs for the album in one day at United.

Funny, I used to HATE the sound of I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU, all murk, no goosh but as my stereo got better the song's tonality got better until now I couldn't imagine it any other way..

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed, the better my system got, the better these recordings sounded. Especially the mono mix on the slow ballads. On lesser gear, the slow ballads sounded murky. As the system got better the mono mix slow ballads took on life, the Stereo mix gained depth and brilliance without excess. And the superb uptempo material sounded better also. And the same applies to all of my Ray Charles ABC/Paramount material.

6. Steve Hoffman

Well, basically one could say that this applies to every recording I own but especially the Milton T. Putnam stuff!

7. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Bill Putnam was a real audio recording pioneer. For those not familiar with Bill, I've had this article bookmarked on my computer for years and thought I'd add it to this archived thread for those who may be interested.

ex_mixer likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Milton was definitely a knowledgable, capable, creative, forward-thinking engineer who deserves many plaudits for many accomplishments, and some of his recordings are amazing. I just wish he was better at resisting the urge to tinker and tweak sometimes. He could be too daring for his own good, and/or the good of the final product.

That said, he did do stunningly awesome things, like the recording with Patti Page singing FOUR vocal parts on a recording, all done pre-tape, via a combination of transcription disc and wire recording. Very few engineers could have pulled that off! Here's a truly awful transfer that somebody posted on YouTube, but in real life the sound is quite nice, and the song and performance themselves are gorgeous:

EDIT: This recording was originally billed as "The Patti Page Quartet" on vinyl!

9. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for that. Peter Suthiem was my old boss at Pacifica (KPFK).

10. Steve Hoffman

United Studio B, 1962. This was the room that I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU was recorded in, control room designed by owner/engineer Milton T. "Bill" Putnam. United B.jpg

11. MLutthans

Here one by "The Jane Turzy Trio" -- that's Jane singing three vocal parts (thanks to Putnam), with Putnam's famous echo effects (not reverb so much, more of a delay/Elvis thing this time), in a song WRITTEN BY PUTNAM (cool -- royalties!) right after his echo thing "hit" and he was in full promotion mode.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. MLutthans

Did studio B ever get a 175b limiter, like studio A had? Compare your photo to these:
    UnitedA.jpg

13. Steve Hoffman

I know they had a stereo pair (you can hear them working nicely on I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU). I have a feeling they are in a rack somewhere..

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That article is GREAT! Many thanks for sharing it with us.

McLover likes this.
  15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Funny you should mention that. I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU sounds awesome on my stereo in my office, but sounds like crud on my car stereo. Just confirms what I have always suspected. My car stereo needs help.

16. MLutthans

(Pointlessly closed thread reopened.)

Ever Google BILL PUTNAM UNITED and see what comes up?
    Screen shot 2018-06-19 at 4.49.40 PM.png
    Ol' Bill, Sr., sure looks a lot like his kid!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.