Billboard Mainstream Rock No. 1 Songs Thread: 1981

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob P S, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought I'd start a year-by-year discussion thread of all the No. 1 mainstream rock songs beginning with the first chart on March 21, 1981. I'll try to post at least one new track a day and see if this takes off.

fsutall likes this.
  2. Rob P S

First track is Eric Clapton's "I Can't Stand It" from Another Ticket, two weeks at No. 1 (March 21-28, 1981):

3. Rob P S

The Who - "You Better You Bet" from Face Dances, five weeks (April 4-May 2, 1981):

4. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

This should be good!

Rob P S likes this.
  5. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Not really been someone who warmed to Clapton but always liked I Can't Stand It.

You Better You Bet is great, probably my fave of the post-Moon era along with Eminence Front.

6. Rob P S

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - "The Waiting" from Hard Promises, 6 weeks (May 9-June 13):

7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

These songs hit just as I was beginning to follow Top 40 radio. "I Can't Stand It" and "You Better, You Bet" served as my introductions to Eric Clapton and The Who respectively. "The Waiting" is one of my favorite Tom Petty songs.

8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

"The Waiting" ALWAYS reminds me of this:

9. Rob P S

Joe Walsh, "A Life of Illusion" from There Goes the Neighborhood, 1 week (June 20):

10. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I had this song on a 45. As a classic rock single over the years, you almost never hear it. I still think it's great.

JDeanB, BluesOvertookMe and The MEZ like this.
  11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I remember seeing the video for this song on MTV. I remember that more than hearing it on the radio at the time. One of my fav. Who songs.

Steve Litos, The MEZ and Planbee like this.
  12. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I hope a thread like this can get those in the 60's and 70's into the 80's and 90's and maybe even beyond. How is this going to be structured? 3 songs a day seems like a good idea as opposed to only one a day which will take a very long time. The OP usually gives their own take on each song. You will be doing that right?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  13. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

I remember hearing the Clapton song on the radio a lot at that time and 12 year old me just couldn't gel with it. I remember my brother and I mocking it in the car. (I loved "Rock And Roll Heart" a couple years later though!)The Who song I liked, enough to fork out for the Face Dances Lp that very year. I would probably consider "The Waiting" my favorite Petty single next to the underrated "Change Of Heart", but unlike one of my dearest music friends, I was never really a TP fan. cool thread.

Oh, the Joe Walsh single was good, I remember liking that one, unfortunately didn't hear it that much. I loved listening to the radio in 81-83, before I could really start affording records. AC/DC, "Ah Leah" by Donnie Iris & Point Blank's "Nicole" were my favorite things constantly playing on Michigan's Q-106 round then.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  14. Rob P S

Moody Blues - "The Voice" from Long Distance Voyager, four weeks (June 27-July 18):

I like this one a lot.

15. Rob P S

I'll probably do more than one song a day as long as there's interest.

16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Life Of Illusion : Walsh has stated that the song is built on a backing track that was recorded in 1973 during the Smoker You Drink sessions. The vocals and horns were only added during the sessions for There Goes The Neighborhood.

The Voice : This , along with "Gemini Dream", was the song that introduced me to the Moody Blues. I love how they managed to seamlessly insert a dirty guitar solo in the middle of such an atmospheric pop song.

17. Rob P S

Foreigner - "Urgent" from 4, four weeks (July 25-Aug. 15):

18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Even though this was my introduction to Foreigner, I prefer the earlier hits such as "Hot Blooded" and "Feels Like The First Time". That being said "Urgent" is a sold track and Junior Walker's sax solo (which was pieced to together from different takes) helps to make this track some thing special.

Witchy Woman, skisdlimit and Rob P S like this.
  19. Rob P S

Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin for You" from Fire of Unknown Origin, 2 weeks (Aug. 22-29):

20. Rob P S

Rolling Stones - "Start Me Up" from Tattoo You, 13 weeks (Sept. 5- Nov. 28):

Most weeks at No. 1 until Stone Temple Pilots' "Interstate Love Song" in 1994 (15 weeks)

21. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Burnin' For You : This only got a little top 40 airplay in my area but I do remember seeing the video frequently on a video show that ran on our local cable access channel at the time.

Start Me Up : I had heard of the Rolling Stones before but this was the song that made me a fan. It's a simple song but that opening riff reels you in.

Bevok and Steve Litos like this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Ahhhhh 1981...such warm memories. This is when the world was right, life was good, a human renaissance. The apex of society. Since 1984 it’s all been downhill...rapidly.

23. Rob P S

Foreigner - "Waiting for a Girl Like You" from 4, 1 week (Dec. 5):

24. Rob P S

The Police - "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" from Ghost in the Machine, 2 weeks (Dec. 12-19):

25. Rob P S

Last No. 1 of the year:
    Quarterflash - "Harden My Heart" from Quarterflash, 3 weeks (Dec. 26-Jan. 9):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.