"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. I'm enjoying the season but am let down by the 'big' ending will center on Wendy losing/keeping her MD license. I just don't care, and even if she lost it, it's not like her job would be at risk.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Looks like I was wrong, looks like Bobby and Wendy will be getting together eventually.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Thought it was smart how a lesser story line, Wendy's medical license, became the catalyst that crystallized her relationships with the 2 main men in her life. What a finale, Giamatti & Lewis were given plenty of room to strut their stuff and they delivered in spades! And now the stage is set for the final showdown. Great stuff!

4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Wow.

This series finale... this show is still incredibly watchable, but it has lost any of its compelling features it might have had. The writing is now a mixture of "soap opera" and "pulp action." The complete tone and execution of this show saw a dramatic change this season.

For me, any show that starts relying on the "big reveal" being part of "OK, audience, here's what you didn't see!" set up is grasping...

That whole, "I knew that you knew that he knew that you would..." process chain is highly entertaining, but so reality-killing. These characters are now caricatures.

So, in the end, we're back to square one... with the field wide open... great for unending story lines, but it might be pushing the patience and interest of the viewer.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

For me, this is exactly why the show became unwatchable. Watched the first few episodes this year and just got bored of it. And I had really liked previous seasons.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I didn't mind it so much in the final episode. I thought the final episode was pretty good actually. Where I thought it really was started to go off the rails in terms of tone was the previous episode, particularly the part where giamatti's character is talking to the 3-4 business guys as if there his lieutenants, and they're all doing the yessir yessir sort of thing. That was just stupid.

The fight scene and the lead up to it a few episodes ago was also kind of dumb.

The 'I'll do a favor for you and you do a favor for me' stuff that dominated the first episode of the season was also a little bit silly but I'll forgive that.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I found this season to be the best written and most entertaining. I thought they left some nice intrigue for next season. Of course by the time they air next season, I will have forgotten most of it.

ralphb likes this.
  8. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I enjoyed the season overall.

Rebecca was the highlight. Axe but with a heart.

I liked how Connerty got played, but would have liked his character to remain the good guy and aiding in setting up Jock.

I know they had to do it for next year's story, but I don't think it was true to Taylor's character to rejoin Axe Capital.

9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

She had no choice. Facing financial ruin

seacliffe301 likes this.
  10. dmiller458

And prison time.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Another excellent season!

Love this show!

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the ending?

lewis and siff ride off together into the sunset in a lamborghini as giamatti and his dad are being indoctrinated into a federal prison.

taylor is running ax-capitol with wags.

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not really.

That was a set up, and would definitely have not held up to even nominal scrutiny.

14. dmiller458

But Taylor couldn't take that chance. "They" wouldn't be the first hedge funder to get railroaded on BS charges.

15. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

she was so looking to bone him when she went to crash overnight at his place.

forthlin likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

She’ll lose her medical license for real if she does.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh, it will happen, it will be axe's final stabbing thrust.

i can actually see the entire series ending with giamatti going to jail along side his father as lewis and siff are furiously making love in giamatti's sex chamber.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, when she showed up at his place, it threw him for a loop. For the 1st time in the series, he looked confused and unsure. This from a guy who discarded his wife and girlfriend like used toilet paper! Although the series is hinting at this direction, it almost seems too easy and predictable, and I hope it doesn't happen. Her value to him far surpasses sexuality or any of the other mundane aspects of romance. It would SO go against his best interests, it would be hard to believe he'd allow it to happen!

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not knowing how to deal with someone he truly cares for? when emotions are in play and it's not just another transaction that he needs to "win".

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The fun starts up again on Sunday, time to re-watch the last few episodes from last season.

Shawn and marmalade166 like this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Dunno if I'm going to make it through this season... I'm sure it'll have its fun and interesting parts, but it all seems so forced and "soap opera"-ish now.... This guy Mike Prince introduced as the new "heavy" with whom Axe will have a long battle... Taylor as the superhuman, robot brain -- what will they do next? Oh no, it's a "triple cross" -- that fact that Chuck had to say something like that out loud...

The final ep of last season left such a bad taste in my mouth with all its cliche writing, and now the first ep of this season reminds me so much of network TV "style-over-substance" plot driven lines, it just doesn't engage me like it once did. This show seems like it figured out its most dedicated viewers were "bro's," and it's catering to that.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think there comes a time when every TV show starts to cross into becoming a parody of itself, EP 1 of this season might be that moment. I'm hoping it gets better because I wasn't too impressed with the opener.

BEAThoven likes this.