"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, i believe (or want to believe) that last night was meant to set up the season.

i still believe lewis and siff will end up together when the series is over (possibly have been having casual sex this whole time)

giamatti's dad will screw up something

giamatti will get hoodwinked a million more times

giamatti and the girl that wants to be him will have sex

taylor will....who the **** knows what she will do? she is the wild card.

and you just know, after a few ups and downs, that lewis will destroy his new adversary.....he is worth 10 Billion now, they only told us about 100 times.

2. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Starting off with a vomiting scene and the main characters acting like idiots turned me off right off the bat. Vomiting scenes are the most idiotic idea going in Hollywood these days. (I guess it was better than the opening scene of season 1 though.) And after that I didn't like the odd directing style. I only got 15 minutes in and quit. Maybe it gets better after that. I'm not gonna renew my Showtime subscription for this.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Only 8 episodes were completed of the new season before the industry shutdown mid-March due to the corona virus, I expect we'll be left hanging this season.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Once again, as in SO many shows, the writing/story was lackluster. Through the years, we've seen it time and time again; shows that start off like gangbusters lose their creative flow as time goes by. That said, Lewis will ALWAYS be Lewis, Giamatti will ALWAYS be Giamatti, and they're surrounded by thoroughbreds. It's always a treat to watch these guys work! Surprisingly, based on her work here and elsewhere, Asia Kate Dillon, who I once considered a fresh and certainly, different, type of actor, has suddenly become a one-trick pony. She needs to be careful or she might be joining Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) in the 'where are they now?' club!

5. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I still like the show enough to finish it out but it is getting a wee bit tired. Cartoonish. The pretentiousness. But does have some appeal.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

damian lewis, paul giamatti and maggie siff make this show worth watching, and getting samantha morton to play a bit part still amazes me, she is a very very highly rated actress and has done some wonderful work.

Shawn likes this.
  7. While I've enjoyed the first two episodes this season it does seem a bit same-old same-old. But how far can you go with the jobs these guys have? It's always going to be legal wranglings, stocks and business deals. I'm in for the season, if nothing else to enjoy the fine acting skills.

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm a fan but I think this last episode may have been the worst of the entire series! So....an hour of all the principles 'digging deep' within themselves seeking spiritual harmony. Done with as much subtlety as a jackhammer. Really, really bad. At this point it feels like Bobby Axlerod has nothing to lose, if this is true, what's the point of the show?

9. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

He could lose his investor's money. He could lose his business. He could lose his own money. And he could lose his freedom.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

EP #2 wasn't much better, I'm very mixed on this season.

11. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Trying my best to hang on, but...

Espisode 3 with Axe's "Gordon Gekko" speech to all the children at the school... that was an "eye roll" moment for me.

Shawn likes this.
  12. My 'eye roll' moment was at the extremely elaborate contraption Axe's son made. How wasn't this enormous system discovered on campus? Didn't anyone notice him bringing pallets of wequipment to some university building? OK, he might have had the $ to buy the equipment but not to build and hide it. Also there's no way it would have taken the entire town's electric grid out!

13. DigMyGroove

It’s gotten a bit ridiculous lately, but let’s all remember:

IT’S JUST A TV SHOW!!!

...and still manages to be entertaining. I think of it as a guilty pleasure at this point. And it definitely wins the Most Testosterone on TV award.

In addition, this is Showtime, their programming is in general rather arch and broadly painted. The new Penny Dreadful: City is Angels exhibits the same “flaws”. But it’s still enjoyable and fun. Showtime is NOT HBO.

forthlin, Brenald79 and dmiller458 like this.
  14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

That's a valid point and all that, but you're on a forum that is completely based on the premise that everything will BE analyzed to nth degree.

I could write what you wrote on every thread posted on this board:

IT'S JUST AN LP!
    IT'S JUST A CD!
    IT'S JUST A MOVIE!
    IT'S JUST A TURNTABLE!
    IT'S JUST ANOTHER BEATLES' THREAD!

dmiller458 likes this.
  15. DigMyGroove

ABSOLUTELY!!!
    But I think it doesn't hurt to point that out once in a while. :laugh:

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Ax in a Rainbow t-shirt :righton:

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Right, but it's worth pointing out some absolute ridiculous writing that we haven't seen in the first few seasons.

And if it's 'just a TV show' why do we bother having this discussion thread?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I didn't have as much of a problem with the idea of what he was doing as I did with the contraption he constructed. That looked like something out of a teen-oriented movie from the 80s--what a super-duper computer might look like. In fact, not recognizing the kid, I thought: Are we going to draw back and see this is a movie from the 80s that the actors are watching in the show? Super hokey.

I'm also having an issue with Maggie Siff's character this season. Previously, she was the on-staff psychiatrist and ego booster. Suddenly, she's running strategy when Axe is not there?

It's amusing that Giamatti's character is modeling his code after Dexter--another Showtime show. I guess that's better than modeling himself after David Duchovny's character in Californication.

As for the overriding arc this year: I guess the fact that Axe was willing to destroy the headmaster--who they took great pains to note, repeatedly, was a man beyond reproach doing good--to suit his own ends (in front of his son) probably replays on a bigger stage later in the season, probably with respect to the guy play playing his do-good billionaire nemesis.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Shawn likes this.
  19. DigMyGroove

We just can't help ourselves, and some of us probably have way too much time on our hands. :agree:

forthlin likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Don’t forget that on this forum people typically rate shows 0.5 out of 10 lower for each successive season than the average score on IMDB lol.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  21. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

i agree with many here.. the show , while it hasn't totally 'jumped the shark', has gotten a little close to a shark-like substance.... which I guess is another way of saying its not quite as amazing as it started out to be a few seasons ago. that being said, its a fun ride, tho yeah, kind of semi-diminishing returns.

one little thing I always liked about the show, as I'm a long time NYC resident, is the way they filmed in really interesting NYC restaurants sometimes, -- one of my favorite places in the east village, Veselka, was featured in at least one or two episodes.... a great 'old time' steakhouse, Keans was used in another episode (paul g telling his much hated (and vegetarian) assistant (whats his name, Connerty or something) ''you'll have the mutton"). Now, sadly, i hope some of those restaurants are not a thing of the past, for good, given the pandemic and everything going on- its almost an elegy for a lost era...

Deuce66, Shawn and misteranderson like this.
  22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

They really hollowed out Taylor's character, didn't they? Asia Kate Dillon doesn't even blink. Taylor's little more than a robot, which is a shame.

And that speech at the end of last night's episode - the kids should have pelted Damian Lewis with rotten fruit.

Shawn and mike s in nyc like this.
  23. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

They're really making the viewers (or at least me) really hate these characters. Everyone is so slick and phony and d...…(not sure if I can say that word on a family website). I liked the show a lot in the beginning, I did see flaws but thought it was held together just enough. Some of the more likeable supporting characters haven't been appearing as much (Mafee) although Ben Kim had a role in last episode. The one nerdy guy they've been focusing on lately not so crazy about although some other nerds were OK.

That speech and the whole thread was annoying.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, looks like maggie siff has found her new toy, eh?

although after dinner with ax was a little compelling too..........

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There's at least a 1/2 dz. truly heavyweight actors in the Billions ensemble. Not a single one is doing even close to their best work. The show play's well with it's equally mind-numbing Sunday Night co-star; Penny Dreadful!