"Billions" New TV Drama on Showtime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Loved the finale. Very difficult position for Bobby with the Russian .
    Was not surprised by Chuck’s predicament. MaFee kinda surprised me.

Juan Matus and seacliffe301 like this.
  2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I liked the scene with Taylor and Wendy. It's about time someone called out Wendy on her straight-up BS.

It's weird, Chuck and Axe, who are very intelligent manipulators, always seem to be so in awe of Wendy, but she's proved herself to be just as defensive, little, and manipulative as the rest of them this season.

ralphb, Humbuster and seacliffe301 like this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I thought Connerty would've helped Rhoades to get back in his good graces. Now it seems obvious that it was the right move for all them to sell out Chuck and to back the AG instead.

And now in retrospective, Taylor was undercut by Axe almost every step of the way. And stealing that deal from her boyfriend was the final straw.

Juan Matus and seacliffe301 like this.
  4. dmiller458

Wendy's not working in a hospital helping people with real problems. She works for a hedge fund.

She married a trust funder and she's into S&M. Her altruism only goes so far.

Shawn likes this.
  5. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

The look on Wendy's face while this was going down was priceless.

BEAThoven likes this.
  6. dmiller458

Next season is now set up for their comebacks.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the thought of axe and chuck working together, with wendy orchestrating, is very very intriguing. looking forward to next season.

seacliffe301 likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Terrific finale to a terrific season! Admittedly, I'm a fan but this was great TV! I did something I can't recall EVER doing, watched the episode twice in one evening! Not only did I watch it twice, I enjoyed the final scene so much I re-wound and watched it again! Such a beautifully nuanced scene. Starting from the opening scene, as soon as I heard the opening notes of Count Basie and Frank Live At The Sands (an all time favorite!) I KNEW it was gonna be a fun ride. And the story was simply delicious! Double-crosses, triple-crosses, wow! The reveal that Taylor actually played Wendy made her even more brilliant, and more ruthless, than I originally thought. Amazing how Taylor went from being a character I felt sympathy for to being THE bad guy of the series. And yet, I still felt bad for her when the boyfriend shuts her down. Brilliant writing, brilliant acting! And seeing Chuck, Wendy, and Axe leaning in, conspiring and smiling together actually put a smile on my face while thinking "Taylor's SO screwed!". Cherry on top was ending the episode with the perfectly fitting selection of Sinatra and the Velvet Underground's music! I actually could go on but...Bravo!!!;)

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I don't know about Taylor being screwed. They obviously had a plan from day one and executed it brilliantly. Somebody that ruthless can never be discounted because they will always find an angle to work, which is why Taylor and Axe are such worthy adversaries. Next season should be quite the ride. Great show.

AndrewS likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I really enjoyed Taylor tearing Wendy apart to her very core, to a point that she was visibly shaken. Someone so young could see all of the cards she was holding and perceptive enough to know that Wendy is no saint herself.

11. I'm curious if Axe will play an active part in Chuck's plot to take down the AG. Will be a very interesting season 4.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Taylor's absolutely a formidable adversary BUT....she apparently was clueless how close to death she was/is. While she's a genius at business, she's still clueless about the fact that she's poking a junk yard dog in the face! Axe actually showed, by nixing the hit, and when he spoke to her, that he actually had feelings for Taylor (a rarity!) and beyond the feeling of betrayal, he's hurt by her actions. That said, his revenge will be a thing of beauty!;)

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Same, thought that was the MVP moment of this season. Just a savage verbal beat down, letting Wendy know she got smarted at her own game (Psychology) all while offering her a job at the same time.

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Depends on how well she knows Grigor and Axe, it's possible she played both to her advantage. I guess we'll find out next season. Axe is in checkmate mode right now, he wants to crush Taylor but doing so would cause financial harm to Grigor so that's a no go for now. What we don't know about Axe is whether he ever ordered an in-house "hit" on someone, it seems out of character, he'll crush you financially given the chance but murder?

15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

Well the show turned out much better than I thought it would back in 2016 when I posted this! Great writing and acting has made it one of my favorites.

MartyTem likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Upon second viewing Axe's security expert provided the answer which is no.

17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Because this is, of course, TV, you cannot introduce a character such as Grigor and then not exploit the drama and the suspense to the fullest... How could there not be a plot line in next year's season in which Grigor is directly threatening Bobby's life or a "chilling sequence" of how Bobby avoids the murder plot Grigor has set in motion?

18. dmiller458

"I was trying to decide if I would. I would." :love:

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

That would be like introducing a suicide pill in the first episode and then chucking it in a hole in the last. A plot element or character can be introduced just to agitate the viewers imagination. The writers will gather and look at everything and everybody and decide what works now to create season 4. It was certainly everything one would want from a season finale. Confrontation, devastation and a fresh start. I'm already ready and I would do whatever Wendy Rhodes told me to do.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They

ralphb and AndrewS like this.
  21. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Who ? Axe and Waggs ?

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Taylor's pronoun is they

ralphb and Alternative4 like this.
  23. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Ahh I guess I should have put ;) after my question... I was only kidding

I highly doubt that Axe, Waggs etc would be calling Taylor 'they' when 'they' weren't within earshot though........

agentalbert likes this.
  24. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Axe has done so, at least on a few occasions.

25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I have to admit that I'm a bit miffed that Taylor is now Axe's adversary as they are one of my favourtie characters, and one that I'm very fond of so don't want to see being destroyed and humiliated