Billy Strings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

2. sami

sami Mono still rules

This is just phenomenal. Not sure I've seen a better first set from them.

adamos likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Cool, but Jan. 18 was a better show. The Wharf Rat alone was worth the price of admission.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

This will make up a little for missing Billy Strings in July, I guess. Jason Isbell tour is postponed a year, with Lucinda Williams opening instead.
    [​IMG]

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If it's just a stream without an audience, why move to different venues?

sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Only guessing but there could be a few reasons. First, it should make for a more interesting broadcast and have a different feel for each night. Let’s face it, after 9 nights of seeing the same band in the same space, it gets a little bit stale. It could also be a marketing gimmick to keep People interested. It should also keep the band interested. The set up, tear down, sound check and preforming in spaces that sound different should Be more familiar to the band and engaging. Kind of like tricking themselves into feeling like they are on tour and not in a rehearsal space. I would also imagine they are not playing in these spaces free of charge. Spreading the money around town to venues that haven’t made a dime in three months and likely won’t for the rest of this year helps keep the lights on at places they need to remain in business for the band to Be able to make a living.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    adamos, nancybrooke, sami and 4 others like this.
  9. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

I’m not pals with him or anything but I’ve had the opportunity to see him doing some campsite picking with Greensky members a fair number of times at festivals and the thing that sticks out most was a time I was the first one back to the group campsite and it was Billy, this 10-11 year old kid and the kids mom and Billy spent at least 20 minutes basically giving this kid a guitar lesson. This kid was pretty accomplished for their age and was psyched to be getting one on one time with Billy. It was a really kind and genuine exchange and I consider myself lucky to have been able to see it happen.

10. budwhite

Thanks professor!

No really, that was a good answer to my question.

superstar19 and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s a fairly brilliant idea, I’m a bit surprised he is the first nationally touring act to come up with this. I saw another band was playing a drive in movie venue but other than that it’s been guys playing from home.

Sturgill did play to an empty Ryman last Friday and Jason Isbell played to an empty Brooklyn Bowl for his album release but those were both free. It will be interesting to see how profitable this can be. I would think 1,000 to 3,000 is the very most that will pay for a concert and I doubt that happens 9 times.

So the gross take for any given night would be about 15k? I’d think a flat fee for the space, the broadcaster gets a %, production is a flat fee and the rest is split between the band. I’d guess there are some agents and managers that get a slice and then....taxes. This can’t be much money in the pocket of the performers. I Would think there could be some way to have some limited and socially distant tickets for each venue. Sell every other row to one person as if it were a privet box. At this point I’d be willing to spend $1,000 and drive five hours to see a show.

12. budwhite

The band gotta play, not collecting rust.

Why not make a little bit of money and give the fans something to, instead of just playing/rehearsing to themselfs?
    It's a good thing but not optimal of course.

I hope they have a few friends in the hall or roadies watching/listening. Just to get a little reaction.

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Which streaming venue will you use? There has to be something more reliable than nugs - wish relix was doing the streams. And I wonder if they will do some sort of 9-show package deal.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Since it’s a pay service I don’t think there will
    Be an option. It’s odd that there are three pay streaming services that are listed sponsors. Perhaps they will rotate or they will be sharing the work? I’ve never had a problem with nugs when it’s for pay, it’s the free stuff that gets glitchy. Nugs runs the live phish.com, same username and password for both sites. They get a lot of people for that and do 4K. If you are willing to pay. They can easily manage a few BMFS shows.

budwhite and sami like this.
  15. sami

sami Mono still rules

I think they might be rotating, because Fans lists only 7/16 and 17 on its site, but who knows. I have more of an equipment issue regarding nugs - I can cast the pre-recorded stuff but not the live shows.

Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s two guys talking in the phone for an hour and fifteen minutes and it’s just as exiting as it sounds. Feels like Billy’s therapy session much more than it has anything to do with Tim O’Brian, some interesting stories about his father and how he got back into playing bluegrass after being in a heavy metal band. Lots of talk about crying.

superstar19 and sami like this.
  17. budwhite

Pass. I don't do crappy phone podcasts.
    And the subject doesn't sound like much fun either

sami likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s fair, it’s certainly not music but it’s not like you are going to see these guys on a talk show, read a biography or ever hear them talk at any length of time. It’s a series and there are several, I listened to a few while driving, I thought it was very interesting to hear these guys interact as people and Share what they have been doing while stuck at home for the first time in their lives. Sam Bush was good, Jerry Douglass was very interesting talking about instruments, production and writing but that one with Tim was pretty raw with personal family stuff from Billy. Stories about Doc Watson was also fairly interesting. Terrible production, absolutely no organization and as close as you will ever get to having a personal conversation with legends of this music.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Kyhl and sami like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Tim 2 and sami like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Billy playing with Marcus King.

23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Nice... All of those shows look interesting. I wouldn't have pictured Brent Hinds playing with Marcus King, but that is really cool.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Brooklyn Bowl Nashville soundcheck up on YouTube :)

Dennis0675, superstar19 and sami like this.
  25. sami

sami Mono still rules

Damn, I miss seeing them live. This is really nice but can't replace shows with a crazed, tripping balls crowd.