Bitches Brew in Multichannel*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I picked this up a few months ago.....thought it sounded great. Well worth getting.

fredblue likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Well, I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and ordered this. I don't listen to surround mixes. My setup to watch, listen to 5.1 movie Blu-rays will work. I can't think of a better album though to try this on though. The reviews and packaging sold me.

Mr. Explorer, PBo, Kristofa and 2 others like this.
  3. JHT

JHT Well-Known Member

I understand the historical significance of this album and how it affected music, but I just don't get it. I saw a performance by them on a miles dvd I can't recall the title of and that was fairly good. I guess I appreciated the improv that went into the live show better than the album! The album just didn't seem to go anywhere.

Ah, well, I'm glad someone gets to enjoy it!

4. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Bought mine too.

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I love this album (but am no expert on it or Miles) so also bought this beautifully done sacd 7 inch replica sleeve version from Japan. I think there are 2 stereo mixes of this album released officially - is that correct? Which cds have which mix?

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A story.
    The "1 to 3 months" timeframe shown at amazon dot c'eh, especially after they first showed an original on-time date-of-release, started to worry me. Also, amazon's one-hundred plus dollar price tag, plus HST, seemed a bit steep.

Because of the success in this retail exercise, I decided to cancel my order at amazon about a week before the supposed delivery date and ordered the SACD Bitches Brew from CD Japan, opting for the EMS shipping option.
    I had approximated a cost comparison of both prices and I knew it was going to be close.

I've waited until receiving my most recent VISA bill to compare what I paid v. what I would have paid with the original order.

Bottom line: Savings was about $24 CDN and it was cleared by CBSA (our Customs) without me having to pay HST, which in Canada is thirteen percent.

Moral
    Shop around. Make "The Interwebs"™ your friend and use it to your advantage.

In answer to the obvious question... no, I haven't played it yet.

Q: Not having bought the original vinyl, was the album cover as elaborate as this SACD?

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Most have the stereo remix.

Original mix is on the HD Tracks download, the Complete Collection box set, 50DP 1st Jpn pressing, 1st Jpn Mastersound CD and the new multichannel/stereo SACD.

The best sounding stereo remix is on the original single layer Jpn SACD IMO. Most masterings of the stereo remix are too digitally compressed.

Mr. Explorer, Flaming Torch and Shawn like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mobile Fiedelity Lab SACD is also the original stereo mix, not the remix. Of the four SACD versions I have (including this new one) I like the Mobile Fidelity the best, by a hair. (I prefer the original mix, the original Japanese SACD tlake mentions is very good for the remix).

Mr. Explorer and Flaming Torch like this.
  9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I'm fairly certain that the album cover is exactly as it was on the original vinyl but obviously now reduced in size. For a look at Mati Klarwein's other art check the website. You may be surprised to see some of your other favorite album covers there. Mati Klarwein

Mr. Explorer and Shawn like this.
  10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yeah, notice that the back side of the obi even nearly replicates the 1972 Japanese original obi, and they took care to print the Quadraphonic SQ markings in the upper left corner of the cover. The inserts advertising Quad equipment and advising on room placement must have been original, too. Apparently they only left out a yellow/green/black Quad SQ sticker that was on the outer wrap, shown in a photo of the 1972 release at Discogs. If you take a look at the 1974 Japan Quad listing there, they have several more photos of the package, which look the same as the new replica.

Mr. Explorer, PBo and fredblue like this.
  11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Interesting that the MOFI SACD of Bitches Brew has a no discount allowed. It must be better than the rest!

12. Flaming Torch

Thanks tlake6659 - very helpful.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Thanks Lonson. I bought the recent MFSL sacd and vinyl of BB. I am sorting out my BB cd and vinyl collection (the HD Tracks is easy to keep as it does not take up any room!) but I want to make sure I have both the original mix and the remix. I do not have a 5.1 set up but my Oppo 103 will sort of convert the 5.1 mix into stereo for playback via my analogue amp. Right from the early days (my first vinyl copy in the mid 70s thanks to reading the great Lester Bangs) I always thought this was great "sounding" recording. When was the remix first done?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Another remix version to avoid is the Blu-Spec CD2 due to compression. I agree that the single layer Japanese SACD is the best remix version I've heard.

15. Flaming Torch

Thank you.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I believe it was first released in '99.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The remix was done for the "Complete" Bitches Brew Sessions set, which came out in 1998, and then they used it for the Legacy reissue of the album, with "Feio" as a bonus track, in 1999. But then the single-layer SACD came out in 2002.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Thanks for the correction. I forgot about the metal spine box, and just grabbed the SL SACD. Oops!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

How is this quad sacd, supose to be listen to? In four chanels, meaning four speakers?

Was this quad sacd remastered using dsd128 or dsd256?

21. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Don't know how I missed out on this thread until now. Without going back pages to find out, would someone please just direct me to the best deal/best vendor to order this from?

22. rynopinn

rynopinn Forum Resident

giantleech, Shawn and HDOM like this.
  23. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

giantleech do you have wow hd homape in your contry?

24. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

25. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Yes, it is 4.0, so ideally, you would want to listen via 4 full-range speakers. But I would argue that there's no "wrong" way to listen, as long as you have at least 4 speakers.
    256fs, I believe, as the associated literature references 11.2MHz sampling.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.