Bizarre Deaths of Musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mike sullivan, Nov 25, 2021.

1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Tragic, but not particularly bizarre. Drowning is a rather common occurrence.

2. OxygenThief

OxygenThief Forum Resident

Another one which was both bizarre and tragic was that of German electronic musician Wolfgang Reichmann. Earlier on he'd played in the Spirits of Sound, which also contained Michael Rother and Wolfgang Flur (although I don't know if all three were in the band at the same time).

He recorded one solo album "Wunderbar", but never lived to see it come out, as he was stabbed to death in a random attack in a Dusseldorf bar three weeks before the release date.

Icethorn likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Senior Member

On the Isle of Lucy.

Sean, ARK, Don Amos and 2 others like this.
  4. OxygenThief

OxygenThief Forum Resident

Another bizarre aspect of Nico's death is that her remains are buried in the Grunewald Forest surrounded by, of all things, a cycle track (ironic given how she died). Only found out that when I went on holiday to Berlin and rented a bike so I could go cycling there myself.

5. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Speaking of suicides, Brad Delp's death by Hibachi is a trifle bizarre.

6. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

not certain this is the right version!

7. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

lee morgan, it's tragic but the way the girl got the gun is bizarre!
    and what about chet baker: so many different version!

Steve G and RVA_101 like this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Elvis, right?

Icethorn and arthurprecarious like this.
  9. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Reggae artist & dub poet Mikey Smith was murdered in 1983 by political opponents associated with the right-wing Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) after he had heckled the Jamaican Minister of Culture at a political rally. The murder method? He was stoned to death... with real stones.

Beamish13 and Icethorn like this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. peymei4ever

peymei4ever Forum Resident

That's what I've heard for 40+ years! What is your version?

12. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

The disappearance and presumed death of Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards. Haunting story.

Richey Edwards - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Amnion, RVA_101, jumpinjulian and 4 others like this.
  13. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Charmayne Maxwell from the ‘90s R&B group Brownstone fell while drinking a glass of wine. The glass shattered on the ground and punctured her neck when she fell, causing her to bleed to death.

Beamish13 and ARK like this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Boom Operator likes this.
  15. VH3FAN

VH3FAN Forum Resident

Michael Jackson dying of cardiac arrest from overdosing on Propofol.

16. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

Questions also remain regarding the moments leading up to and characters involved in Johnny Thunders' death in New Orleans.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  17. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Cactus lead singer Rusty Day and his eleven years old son were machine gunned to death in his home in Orlando during a drug deal gone wrong in 1982.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Jonny W likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I guess I just found it bizarre that a government would feel so threatened by a musician that they felt the need to torture and execute him and then display the mutilated body for all to see. Not the kind of the thing that happens every day in the U.S.

painted8 and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  19. djangology

djangology djangologist

The guitarist Eddie Lang, sometimes credited as the inaugural member of the 27 club, died from complications from a routine operation to have his tonsils removed. He was Bing Crosby's guitarist and only had the op because Bing asked him to so that Eddie could have speaking roles in his films. Bing never got over his guilt about Eddie's death, but years later he wanted to pair up with another jazz guitarist and had his people reach out to the great Django Reinhardt. Within days of Django getting the call, he dropped dead from a brain haemorrhage. The moral of the story - don't be Bing's guitarist.

20. NasuTek

NasuTek Doktor Kettu

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  21. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

I have heard so many stories about Bobby Bloom's death. They have changed over the years. The first I heard was that he was accidentally caught in a crossfire.
    I have heard that his death was an accident and that it was a suicide.
    But the latest comes from Wikipedia, quoting from an interview with his close friend and collaborator Jeff Barry:
    "In a 1995 interview, Jeff Barry states that Bobby Bloom was shot by another guy in a fight over a girl. He states that Bloom burst into a room after kicking down a door and was then shot. The case was never followed up."
    Any which way, his death was indeed bizarre and sadly tragic.

22. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

If only he'd been a rock history buff like us, he surely would have known about Johnny Ace and learned from that tragic mistake.

It wasn't Memorial Day, it was mid-July. There is also a theory that he had a heart attack at the wheel, but apparently the autopsy showed the only damage to his heart was the result of the car accident.

What is perhaps ironic: his driver's license was suspended at the time.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Wait

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I don't know if Marc Bolan has been mentioned. Bolan never learned to drive, fearing a premature death. He died a passenger in a car driven by his girlfriend.

anduandi, RVA_101 and Icethorn like this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I know I’m being the irony pedant here, but the fact that his license was suspended makes it the opposite of irony. Situational irony is when something happens that is the opposite of what you’d normally expect to have happen. If someone caused a car accident when they were driving home from having just been given the “safest driver of the year “ award, that would be ironic. A person who has multiple license suspensions for speeding, improper passing, and failure to signal being in a car accident is definitely not ironic.