Black Crowes- Lost Crowes coming on colored vinyl June 7th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

And yet the people complaining the most seem to be ones who couldn't get copies... curious thing, that.

Christopher B, Jack and JasonA like this.
  2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Having listened once all the way through it definitely sounds better than the CDs do. No sonic marvel, but Tall especially benefits from less compression - the CD of that album was/is a tough listen.

The records themselves are perfectly pressed with one having extremely minor dishing that I counteracted with a felt washer and clamp.

Vinyl_Blues, Jam757 and violetvinyl like this.
  3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Well, we have learn one more thing thanks to this thread: GZ Vinyl is now able to press perfect records. Good that they choose this particular edition to achieve that, because otherwise QC is just plain awful.

A real milestone in Steve Hoffman forums. A GZ Vinyl pressed triple LP with wrong labels, wrong title, wrong song titles, etc. which is highly regarded by ALL owners. A breakthrough.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Is it me, or is it weird that on Band Rich is panned left in the mix and Marc to the rigth? Was just listening on headphones and it felt, well, weird. It’s on the cd, too. I mean, on stage it’s the other way around, from a spectators pov. Just did a quick a/b check and funnily enough I couldn’t practically hear any difference between the record and the cd. Didn’t even have to adjust volume. Bass sounded a little more in the midrange on the lp and a little more clean on the cd. But that was just a minute of switching in Another Roadside Tragedy, just to check if the guitars were panned the same way.

mick_sh likes this.
  5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Getting really boring. Please stop repeating this ad nauseum. Give us your thoughts on the sound quality.

Jack, Dreaddazzman and JasonA like this.
  6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yes, master.

wiseblood likes this.
  7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Spinning....considerably better than the CD and has actually exceeded expectations. This sounds pretty damn nice!

Vinyl_Blues and JasonA like this.
  8. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Spent a few minutes this morning comparing the LP to the 2006 CD release. Listened to the same parts of releases at 16-bit/44kHz on headphones. When dumbed down to redbook, my needledrop sounded very similar to the CD, with some subtle but noticeable differences. During the quiet sections, there was almost no difference. During louder passages, the needledrop sounds slightly more open and less congested. A little better instrument separation. The attack is punchier on the needledrop, whereas the CD sounds more tame and a little muddier, particularly during loud parts when all that dynamic compression kicks in. Looking at the spectrum for the needledrop recorded at 24-bit/96 kHz, the high frequencies go all the way to the top of the spectrum, so this was definitely sourced from something better than CD quality.

Below are some screen grabs comparing Wyoming And Me. The needledrop file was converted to 16/44 and normalized to -.1dB just to make it as comparable to the CD as possible. CD is on top, needledrop of vinyl is on bottom:
    CD:
    [​IMG]
    LP:
    [​IMG]
    CD:
    [​IMG]
    LP:
    [​IMG]

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Excellent stuff.

Did you compare any of the tracks from Tall, as that album always sounded worse to me than Band?

JasonA likes this.
  10. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yeah, my comments are based on several songs I sampled from both albums. I only did the screen grabs for the one track though.

Graham likes this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Your findings basically confirm my impressions - that it's quite a bit better than the CDs but no landslide.

Rockin' Robby and Jam757 like this.
  12. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Agreed. It's not night and day, but there is a difference.

Rockin' Robby and Jam757 like this.
  13. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

My buddy and I got ****ed outta this one ordering from SRC! Too bad some folks had such trouble with simple math! Prices are ridiculous now. Will have to wait for another press.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I see the graphics and what not posted above but these drums sound much more real and open to me than the CD version. I’m going to say quite a bit better and not really a small difference, but hey, my expectations were not super high to begin with. I do hope they reissue a good number of these so more people can enjoy it. I’d say this is a must purchase for Crowes fans.

Vinyl_Blues and JasonA like this.
  15. Have they confirmed youre not getting it? When did you place your order? They seem to be stringing me along with some wishy-washy repsonses to my inquiries.

16. Rockin' Robby

Yep. "Unfortunately we did not get enough copies so this is going to be cancelled. I am very sorry!!"
    I ordered on May 3.

17. Hmmm. I contacted them twice directly since June 11 and they failed to tell me that. They keep saying they won't know if I'm getting my preordered copy until their stock comes in.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  18. Rockin' Robby

Thanks for the tip.

19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Just finished this up, great release! I did have to run records one and two through the vinyl flat as they had massive (shockingly mis-shaped) warpage. Somewhat holding my breath for a few days and hoping for no sonic issues but dead quiet all the way through once flattened. Yes!

JasonA likes this.
  20. webdoggy

webdoggy Well-Known Member

Both Zia and Red Yeti have cancelled on me. Acoustic Sounds still lists my order as backordered and are still taking preorders. Not a great sign.

21. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Is there a chance they already reissued Before The Frost? I was in 2nd and Charles today and they had three copies of Before The Frost sitting on the shelf. One of their store stickers on the back (with the title, price, etc. ) had a date of 06 13 19 printed on it. The UPC is different than the blue/white vinyl version that was released in March. The new upc is 0 20286022854 7. I didn't see a new listing on discogs so I really have no idea what this version is.

22. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Not that I’m aware of, but anything’s possible. Could it have been an unofficial version?

23. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Gave my copy a clean today and then listened to it. It does sound better than the cd, really crankable. Never listened to the cd much, so it was like hearing it for the first time. Especially the tall sessions sound really good.
    I bought it more for completist sake, but I’m actually really glad I got this now. :righton:

JasonA likes this.
  24. LeeGriffin

I don’t think so but as you said, anything is possible. It very well could be an unofficial version for all I know. If it is, it’s very very well done. Looks and feels exactly like the official copy I bought in March. Also had the same style bar code sticker with made in Czech Republic in the same font style and size. I may go pick up a copy today after work just to check it out.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  25. LeeGriffin

Sorry for going off topic, but I went ahead and purchased a copy of Before the Flood that I saw in the store. I have only seen it at Books-A-Million and 2nd & Charles (who are one in the same company) but there is no sticker indicating that is an exclusive. The runout/matrix numbers match the blue & white limited version that was released earlier in March. The first record is a translucent emerald green and the second record is a translucent royal blue. I attempted to add this release to Discogs but I have no idea if I did so correctly because it isn't linked with the "all versions of this release" main page. Here is a link if you want to see some photos: The Black Crowes - Before The Frost...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.