Black Crowes to issue 2 cd Deluxe Edition of Shake Your Money Maker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I wish they'd release the "Foamfoot" concert cleaned up. But that could be hard obtaining the rights to do all that. I know, not Black Crowes per se, still... such a fun show to listen to.

2. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

haha.. I couldn't think of a polite way to respond to that post. That was perfect.

It's like putting on Zep III... Immigrant Song, Friends, Celebration Day... Since I've Been Loving You? SKIP! Need a rocker! ahhh... Out On The Tiles

I'm just playing with you.. but they are most definitely skippable tracks to me.

3. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I came in with Southern Harmony (smartly buying the expensive Import-only vinyl in 1992 since it was not released on vinyl in the US then); it remains my fave, besides it is their best Lp.

Bought Amorica when it came out with the pubes cover. Great album also, but not on the power of Southern Harmony. 2nd best then.

I'd rank their debut, SYMM as 3rd best. with the caveats robcar mentioned above.

3 Snakes I bought in the 7 inch box upon release. Between the weaker songs, smack-dabbling and the hard to handle format, they lost me. For a LONG time.

I'd probably rate Before the Frost and Warpaint higher than 3 Snakes.

Obviously YMMV and does!

Viva La Difference.!

Skydog7, DML71, rainingdogs and 2 others like this.
  4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, getting
    I think those songs fit perfectly and give the album a more rounded, dynamic feel. The song I do skip though is the Bob Marley cover at the end. Wish they would've ended with one of their own songs.

inglorious and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. Robamorican

but you get those fantastic Marc Ford backing vocals lol

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Only thing I routinely skip is "Remedy".

7. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

I'm hoping they one day release properly mixed versions of "Exit", "Spider In The Sugar Bowl Blues", and especially "The Fear Years" which I consider one of the best (and heaviest) songs TBC ever created. I'd also love for them to release Sweet Pickle Salad and of course Foamfoot but as Marc Ford is on Foamfoot and Rich-Rob is not I'm not holding my breath on that one.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Before the frost... until the freeze.

This was so much better than I was expecting at the time. Love it.

Hep Alien, laf848, WHMusical and 10 others like this.
  9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Agreed x10 The psychedelic influenced stuff sounded forced at times, and the jam stuff was most often a meandering wash of nothingness. They flew the Stones/Faces/Humble Pie flag far more naturally.

10. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

You can't purchase neither the album nor any individual track except Charming Mess. You have to wait for the 21th february.
    That's what it is here in France at least.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  11. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree but it was wild to learn that they basically got into that stuff about 5 minutes before the tape rolled (exaggeration but you get what I mean). They owe George Drakoulias a LOT.

12. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

SPS and Foamfoot are very much Chris' babies...so I reckon that you're spot on. Rich won't touch them. For me,SPS is an incredible EP.
    The Crowes were untouchable in that era...just great music everywhere from the brothers

13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

They did finally release the "Back Door Santa" song they recorded in 2005 (with Marc Ford, natch!) this last Christmas - only took them 15 years!

Back Door Santa

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. agentalbert

is that the only way it was released, so Sound Cloud? No download single anywhere?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

You can buy it on amazon.
    It's on youtube as well.

I just wish that iteration of BC in 2005 (with Gorman, Ford and Harsch) would've spent more time in a studio and put out a proper album.

16. agentalbert

Yeah, me too. That they got Marc Ford back but then then flamed out (or he did, rather) before they took time to record a new album is really frustrating. I liked the new songs they were doing live in 2005 and wished there were proper studio recordings. I didn't know there were ANY studio recordings from 2005 with Ford until hearing this one today. That its a Christmas cover tune kind blows, but its something.

Hep Alien, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

It was released as a free download on the official website back in 2005.

Back Door Santa by Clarence Carter

Hep Alien and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I definitely wouldn't call you a loser for having your own opinion, but I feel that "Thorn in My Pride" is part of that 1-2-3 punch of the start of the album. That song rocks, because it builds into intensity.

19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

There are a bunch out there in studio/demo versions from the 2005-07 period, the best of which is probably It Takes One To Know One.

20. Robamorican

I was lucky enough to hear a bunch of recordings around this time of them in the studio. I wasn't allowed to keep a copy, just listen. There was some great stuff they recorded with the: CR, RR, MF, SG, SP, EH lineup in this time.

One thing I remember telling a friend on my way home that night.. I called and said " I SWEAR one of them was a damn disco song"

Now, I cannot for sure say it was "I ain't Hidin", but they definitely recorded a disco song with MFF.

21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, an early version of I Ain't Hidin' was recorded in February 2006 at the same time as a bunch of songs were demoed and many sketches of songs too.

22. Robamorican

thank you.. you're the first confirmation of this.. and that the weed didn't mess with my mind that night.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

"B and B with a little weed"

24. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yes.

25. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

No. I assume John Golden did the plating, GZ will cut the vinyl...and the 1998 Zervos DAT remaster is the source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.