Black Friday Record Store Day 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

The first RSD I get to sit out - my wallet thanks me. My wife will happy as well. Now I can sit on the couch and wait for the Iowa/Nebraska game to start on that Friday.
    I hope those that go enjoy themselves. It's still a great idea.

2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I'm not one for standing on line for hours on end just to pick up an album, but if I can get one at a decent price after the fact, I'm interested in Mellencamp's Scarecrow.

whaiyun likes this.
  3. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

The Hendrix Burning Desire looks innaresting...

4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Good point!

5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

nothing I need to go stand in line for thats for sure.....

6. Kevin DuVal

Kevin DuVal New Member

It was a CD only release back in April and was only available at Cracker Barrel.

Tjazz likes this.
  7. Kevin DuVal

Kevin DuVal New Member

It's a shame they couldn't include a few more Christmas releases like last year.

JoeRockhead and superstar19 like this.
  8. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, the only thing I sort of want is Spoon's TV Set. I'm sure I'll be able to get it online though.

Wonder what happened to the Love and Mercy soundtrack.

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm sorry. I just can't.

There is nothing analog about this album. Not only was it recorded digitally, the music was created digitally. It's all synclavier.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad it will be available. (My avatar comes from the CD insert, after all.) I just can't do this one on vinyl.

Imaginary Diseases or Trance-Fusion would have been better selections.

10. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I actually quite like the list this year. The one must have is The Cardigans. The Link Wray, Buzzcocks , Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis,Big Star, Gang of Four, are also of interest.

11. Not a lot of inspiring stuff there, but some of what is good promises to be expensive. I'm up for the Charlie Parker and Sonics box sets, the Amphetamine Reptile 2LP soundtrack, and maybe the Schooly-D 12".

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Only a couple items of interest. Odd list this year. Nothing really super cool.

13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

All I'll be looking for is the Les Paul/Mary Ford Christmas Cheer 10"

Lord Rocker likes this.
  14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I agree those are all interesting. I'm assuming the prices will put me off though. I can't see standing in line for any of it.

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

another list of recycled stuff that is at least twice expensive than it should be...

$16.50 for Kinks 7"s???
    $19.50 for a Get Up Kids 10"???

#keepem

I'm going to support REI's stance and get outside on Black Friday instead.

#optoutside

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...riday-for-first-time-in-its-history/74627872/

Outdoor gear and sporting goods retailer REI is canceling Black Friday this year. No promotions, no hourly sales, no doorbusters, no waiting in line.

In an unprecedented move for the modern-day holiday shopping season, REI's 143 stores will be closed the day after Thanksgiving. The co-op business plans to launch a campaign Tuesday encouraging people to forgo shopping to spend time outside instead. With the hashtag #OptOutside, REI will ask people to share what they're doing on Black Friday on social media.

REI is taking direct aim at the frenzied consumerism that dominates the holidays with a message to do the exact opposite of what Black Friday demands.

"Any retailer that hears this will be startled by the idea," says REI President and CEO Jerry Stritzke, who admits he was apprehensive about closing at first. "As a co-op ... we define success a little differently. It's much broader than just money. How effectively do we get people outside?"

Dusan, ShawnX, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm in for tenacious d and b-52s live albums. but i'm picking them up online the day after.

17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

RSD goers will be outside...waiting in line.

gr8trak and fitzrik like this.
  18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Don't think anyone shops at REI for music.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The only thing that annoys me more than rampant consumerism is the trend of stores that can't compete on Thanksgiving and Black Friday launching viral ad campaigns claiming they are closing for some grand statement about holidays and family. No one is lining up to go to REI for Black Friday.

http://time.com/money/4088989/black-friday-thanksgiving-rei/

troggy and JoeRockhead like this.
  20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Because those soundtracks have been selling well so now instead of 5 cool ones they are going to flood the market with 20 that no one wants.

fitzrik and krlpuretone like this.
  21. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Bowie, Buzzcocks, The Jesus & Mary Chain (perfect as it was their only release not on the vinyl box), the Lush best of, new Sun O))), and maybe the live B-52s and the NIN box. I wish my list was shorter...

22. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Maybe not in Florida, but here in New England and the Northwest, REI has a huge imprint and would be quite crowded on what is traditionally the kickoff to both the shopping season and winter vacation/skiing season.

The fact that they are paying employees and not filling web orders puts it a little beyond a marketing gimmick.

23. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Ben Harper and Outkast are high on my list.

24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I happened to be out and about on Black Friday a few years ago where there is a REI store, and I was surprised how many people were in there (being that I am a lazy slug and not an outdoorsy adventurous type of guy)!

25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

However, in your negative rant for no reason you failed to mention they will be paying all their employees for that day even though they are closed. That is worth praising them for!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.