"Black Friday" Record Store Day List (2011)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

RSD November '10

Attached Files:

2. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

The only thing I'm interested in out of the exclusives listed is the Iron and Wine 12" and I'm lukewarm on that since I'm almost positive I'll be buying the LP when it comes out. But I'll still be heading to the independent record store here on Friday, as everyone should, because they're a local business that deserves support. Got a big pile of vinyl special orders waiting for me there.

3. nightflight75

nightflight75 Forum Resident

Got the Black Keys double 12" + live 10" vinyl today. But I can't open it since my GF will be giving it to me as a Christmas present.

No luck on the Black Crowes 10" picture disc that I also wanted.

I was curious about the price of the Sharon Jones / Dap Kings 7" vinyl box but it wasn't there either.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have an opportunity to buy The Doors mono, but don't have enough info on this pressing. Is it from a digital source ?

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

6. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The Pantera title is a single vinyl LP of the demos that appeared on the 3rd disc of the Cowboys From Hell triple disc cd set from earlier this year.

7. So Canadian stores are in on this action too? I figured that we were SOL as Black Friday has always been more of an American thing.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Black Crowes, Dylan, George Harrison and TEN GREEN APPLES for me.

9. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

telepicker97 likes this.
  10. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

11. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Not sure about Compact Music but CD Warehouse was all over this. I had a big store credit and I was at the Clyde location at 9. I was third in line behind a really nice couple. They scurried in and grabbed the Harrison box and the only U2 12". The guy was really nice and looked at my face as I went white when I saw he grabbed it and there weren't any others. He then offered it to me, but it looked like he was at least a fan, then the woman turned around and I noticed it was his daughter and she was a big U2 fan. I just couldn't take it even though it was the only reason I was there.

BUT! I was told one day earlier that they expected 2-3 copies of the U2 one, so a store clerk who was listening to us and saw the nice gesture from the other guy, offered to call the St. Laurent location and have me buy the U2 over the phone if they had it.

They did have it, but at this point is was about 9:35 and the manager of hte other store said only in-person purchases were permitted. I completely understood and for the second time in 10 minutes, was really let down (U2 are my favourite group).

BUT WAIT again! The St. Laurent store only opens at 10! So I lit up and just before I made a dash for the door, the gentleman offered one last time if I wanted the 12". I again thanked him, wished him a Merry Christmas and said he deserved it, he was first in and his daughter loves the band.

Off I go, not exactly speeding but not exactly not speeding ;) I hit the Queensway and make it to the other location.

Locked! Ten minutes to spare. No line up either. Could this be too good to be true? A UPS truck pulls up with a stack of records and the driver laughs and says he thought the line-ups were only in the US. I mentioned I had only been there for about 5 minutes, he remarked that folks had been camped overnight at some locations down south.

They opened the door and let the driver in, then smiled at me and said I had to wait another 5, just before closing the clerk asked what I was there for, and I said: "U2!" He smiled and responded: "I knew it would go fast" Then I told him I was the one at the other shop 30 minutes earlier. He smiled again and said it was mine for sure.

Five minutes pass and all of a sudden there is a line up behind me, a dozen or so people, but the clerk had it in hand as I was walking into the store. So I got my U2 record and I grabbed the only other copy of the Harrison set Ottawa had. That ate up nearly my entire store credit. I rounded that off with the Sinatra record which was not at the first location. So checking over the list in the original post of this thread, I managed to get all that I wanted. I hate these Record Store Day limited editions. It makes for some excitement in the search but it also meets with a fair bit of heartache too. As soon as I had the copy of the U2 in my hand, a fellow behind me asked if that was the only one and I said I think so... it was, they ended up only getting 2 so their third store was without and the employees weren't permitted to buy either. How crappy is that?

12. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Anyone care to comment on the sound quality of The Doors - S/T?

Thanks!

13. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I'd assume that it's exactly the same as the one that came in the box set.

14. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

The Rhino link above says not available until 11/30/10, but that could mean available at Rhino.

Wooden Nickel records here in Ft. Wayne didn't have any Doors albums when I got there around 10:30. I picked up the Dylan red 45, Tom Petty 45 and Springsteen 45. I also wanted the Sinatra Christmas album, but I don't' think they got that one. The clerk didn't remember any. Now I'll just have to look for one.

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I got the Harrison ATMP Ltd Box last weekend. Picked up Dylan and Petty 45s. Let the Springsteen sit and let another guy have the one U2 12 inch. The only other items they got in were 1 Smashing Pumpkins box and about 6 Metallica LPs. Was bummed the Hendrix didn't come in. This was quite a letdown from last April.

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Picked up the
    ATMP set
    Hendrix Xmas 10"
    Dylan Times they are a changing 45
    Tom Petty Damn the Torpedos

But the best things I found were in the used bins

A near mint copy of Egg's The Polite Force on Deram!!!!, John Cale's Slow Dazzle UK Island and a mint Van Der Graff UK compilation

17. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

I picked up from Sunrise Records,

2 copies of U2, Wide Awake in Europe LP
    Frank Sinatra, A Jolly Chritmas LP
    Slayer, World Painted Blood, 7" limited edition Red vinyl
    MGMT, Congratualtions, Limited 7" edition
    Parlophone 45 rpm mixed collection limited edition
    Jimi Hendrix, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 10" EP

As for the 5000 copies for the U2 lp. I have number 4010 and 5002! So, maybe it is 10,000 copies, who knows! I have read that it was 5000 but that cannot be.

18. Thanks for the dramatic play-by-play! Alas I wasn't able to make it to Compact or Vertigo, but will swing by the former around 5 to see if there's anything interesting left over. Fortunately there were many fewer discs of interest for me during Black Friday than for Record Store Day, so no gnashing of teeth if there's nothing good left over!

I suppose I should swing by The Record Shaap too, I haven't been there yet and they might have something...

19. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

Today I picked up:
    George Harrison - ATMP #003638
    Tom Petty - Nowhere 45 #3480
    The Doors (mono)
    Metallica Live At Grimeys CD
    Metallica Live At Grimeys Vinyl

20. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Stopped by one of my local haunts after work today and found that they didn't even participate despite having a big event for RSD earlier this year. I'm curious about that Roky DVD but I can't say I blame them - I know they're still sitting on RSD exclusives from last time (I even saw the RSD Black Keys and Sonic Youth records in the discount bin).

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Think its funny that the Dylan 45 uses "stereo" labels.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I picked up the last copy of Metallica "Live at Grimey's" at my local store, by the time I got there their 10 copies of U2 were long gone, some people were lined up at 6:30 this morning, store opened at 10:00 just to get their hands on it...

23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

This is a bust thus far...too many people don't know/don't care about having it today...

continued to note that some of the people that come in never come back.

Or just make a beeline for the limited stuff and leave without even looking around the store.

That's not really the point; I'd rather reward my all year-long customers rather than someone who is gone in 30 seconds.

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yeah, my local shop (2 stores in small chain) had a ton of the items and no one in the store.

Can you send stuff back? If not then they'll be stuck with a lot of Dylan, Petty and Springsteen 45s.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

that's what the owners of my shop were saying - grab the U2's and gone...never to be seen again - check ebay for listings from Toronto, it's probably those people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.