Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The original US release of SBS wasn't a gatefold like the UK release, so the Rhino reissue LP was an accurate representation.

jsayers and dkmonroe like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

To purchase.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The 2016s or 2009s?

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

You are correct.

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Quick aside--I have the '86 SBS CD. Anything currently available that tops it, redbook or hybrid?

8. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

All three records are in and they sound fantastic. Mind you, I am coming off the Rhino Black Box cd set as my go to. As it was said in this thread, it is very low-fi. Unless you have the original pressings of these albums, you can't be too disappointed with these 2016s. I don't and I'm not. Very happy with these purchases.

Sandinista and sonofjim like this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I like the Japan SACD best for digital, but it's not hybrid. I also liked the 2009 CD a lot, but it's been a long time since I compared it with the '86 and can't remember what I concluded. The 2009 has swapped channels, though. I re-burned it with proper channels for the comparison.

SBS, imo, is the best sounding of the '86 Castles. Still holds up quite well and if you're happy with it, I'd just stick with that.

blacksabbathrainbow and pdenny like this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just checked the "Black Sabbath" outtake from the bonus disc and it's the opposite of what I found with "Paranoid". The 2009 is louder than the 2016. I'll be checking a track from MoR in the near future.

vpvi26 likes this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just checked MoR bonus disc and the 2009 is louder than the 2016. Weird. Why would they decide to just jack up Paranoid's bonus disc on the 2016s?

So, it looks like Paranoid is a split decision. The album mastering is a clear upgrade over the 2009, but the bonus mastering is a downgrade with the gain jacked up and a lot of limiting introduced.

MoR album. I personally very much prefer the 2009. But it's a matter of personal taste. If you like the album to sound sludgy, get the 2009. If you want it to sound brighter and not as thick, get the 2016. The 2009 is closer to what is heard on the original vinyl.

MoR bonus. The 2009 is compressed and just doesn't sound as good to me as the 2016.

BS album. I definitely prefer the 2009, but the 2016 is very close. It's a bit brighter and a little recessed in the mids. It would be a fine mastering to have, though, especially since you get a far better "Wicked World" here than with the 2009.

BS bonus. The 2009 is jacked up with a decent amount of limiting compared to the 2016. I like the sound of the 2016.

12. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

What is the difference between Black Box and Complete Albums Box 1970-1978 from 2014?

Adam Bosman likes this.
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The complete box is the 2009 mastering.... the black box is crap!

Tone_Boss likes this.
  14. Jontario

Jontario Member

Have you had a chance to compare the entire BS album 2016 CD to your HDtracks? I think you posted earlier in the thread that the song Wicked World from the 2016CD wasn't the same as the HDtracks version. Was it just this one song or is the entire album slightly different on 2016 CD?

Which version of the entire BS album (not including bonus material) do you prefer, Hdtracks or 2016 CD?

Thanks for doing all this analysis, I find it very interesting.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Correct, 2016 WW is different from the HDtracks. I don't know if I'll ever be able to conclude if that's because of being from a different transfer/tape or because of some very different mastering moves. It might be that the same tape was transferred again on different equipment which caused some major channel bleed up to around 5k. Don't know when, but I'll probably be looking into this further as I'm curious what the deal is here.

I haven't yet compared any of the other BS album tracks, but I did compare one MoR track HDtracks vs 2016. It was the same except for a very minor difference, maybe just a slight gain adjustment. I'll check the BS album, probably tonight, and post the results.

You're welcome, I'm glad some are finding it useful.

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You are talking about the download only Complete Albums 1970-1978, right? There is also a box of physical CDs with a similar title that uses the Black Box masterings.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

That box that came out a couple of years ago doesn't use the Black Box masterings. I think maybe it was HDtracks.

Whatever it was it was too bright for me.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It doesn't use the HD Tracks masterings AFAIK.

19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Talk about being a c***tease. Ha. Stuff happens.

20. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I have the physical CD's in the Complete Albums 1970-1978.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

So what's the verdict on these 2016 CDS? Are they a compressed bright brickwall mess or they an improvement from the 2009s?

22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Oh I like the "Black Box" - mastered nice and loud !!! Really gives these albums a "punch" and the sound is very uniform across the board.

Vinyl Fan 1973, dlank and Curveboy like this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I never compared. But it sounded overly bright just like the HD Tracks versions to me. I've stopped bothering with comparisons if I have two versions that don't sound good and just move on. That budget Complete Albums 1970-1978 box from a couple of years ago and the HD Tracks fit that description for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.