Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules - 2021 Deluxe Edit.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Similar to some of the Pearl Jam tunes that wound up on their debut having began as throw away Mother Love Bone tracks..

PJ also repeated the same process with Temple of the Dog ie “Footsteps”

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Dio joining Sabbath was announced in June, so Siegler's estimation for his coming on board sounds a bit too early.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. I am not sure... It makes sense that they would first try out playing together and make sure it works before announcing it to the public, don't you think?

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Of course. But 3 months?

5. They came from rather different places - Rainbow and Sabbath didn't exactly play the same style of music -, and Tony, Geezer and Bill hadn't worked with any singer other than Ozzy (and very shortly Dave Walker) for 10 years. I can imagine it took them 3 months to get to know each other and musically experiment together until they were fairly sure it would work. However, of course the timeline is mostly based on oral accounts given decades after the fact, so it is totally possible it's not entirely accurate.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

They did not take them 3 months IMO. Auditions are usually short.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

All accounts we've had say that they knew they were gonna work together the very first day they jammed. It was that quick. Instant chemistry.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

2 Dio reissues out this week - Holy Diver Live & Evil Or Divine: Live In New York City - ongoing of the media book editions (here's hoping they go back and release them for the first 6 albums also)

There have been some vinyl reissues of late also.

Curveboy and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  9. Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My bad. Then I can only speculate that Siegler's statement "Ronnie Dio didn’t come on board until around March 1979" doesn't mean he already did join around March, but that he definitely didn't join before that time.

10. I just checked. In his book "Black Sabbath FAQ, Martin Popoff writes: "In May, Ozzy leaves Black Sabbath (or is pushed), this time for real." (p. 39) If that is true and Ozzy left in May, it is very clear that Ronnie joined in May or June. However, I am not sure what Popoff's source is.

Curveboy and Anthrax like this.
  11. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Got an email from Amazon about Mob Rules.

New estimated delivery date:
    Tuesday, March 9, 2021 - Thursday, April 1, 2021

12. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I got that e-mail yesterday and my very first thought was, “You don’t have any more confidence in USPS than I do these days, do ya?

I do wonder what the real reason for that long of a delivery window is, though.

Kind of expecting to see a similar e-mail for HaH pretty soon.

The Hud likes this.
  13. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I hope it isn't a UFO Strangers In The Night box set type thing where only so many were produced and given to each store.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  14. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

Is there any preorder links for this, I'll be buying it at my record shop, but just in case they run out or something, though I always pre order from them, they both being released the same day right?

15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The DEs of H&H and MR have just been given the "Apple Digital Masters" badge on the U.S. iTunes Store, which is a pretty good sign that the entire sets might become available as a high-resolution download in U.S. stores (because ADM downloads are created from high-resolution files).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  16. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

I've listened to that entire Hartford '80 show. They ruined it by putting keyboards way up in the mix as though the person mixing it thought he was working on Deep Purple.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  17. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

Just listened to The Mob Rules from Portland '82 on Youtube. Not bad at all! I'm one of those 'the guitar can never be loud enough in the mix' type guys so there's a slight gripe there, but this is way more than I expected after hearing a lot of negativity earlier in the thread.

Doggiedogma and jeffreybh like this.
  18. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I'm probably in the minority here, but judging by the live previews, I prefer the Live Evil mix. The Dio-vocals up front mix works better with Dio's solo material, in my opinion.

Would I like to hear Ozzy grunting half passed out from under the table, like the Blizzard of Ozz writing sessions have been described? Could be interesting.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. OzzyIsDio

I have the Portland show already, but I'm still getting both in CD and LP.

fretter likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Audition is one thing...woodshedding and jamming to bond, get the kinks out, run though new musical is another.

21. OzzyIsDio

I'm glad they went with Ronnie instead of Dave, in my opinion, Dave wasn't a good fit for Sabbath.

22. OzzyIsDio

I agree with the Dio's vocals work better upfront with his material rather than Ozzy's comment, I do like a couple of Dio's renditions of Ozzy's songs, but no one sings the Ozzy songs like Ozzy, not even Gillan, though he does the best on singing the Ozzy songs than all the other Sabbath singers.

streetlegal likes this.
  23. OzzyIsDio

I'm happy to say I went to my record shop yesterday and placed my order for both Deluxe edition in CD and LP formats.

I support record shops, they seem to all be fading away, everything is online now, sad, I like to physically walk around and look, it's a different feel than just looking records up online, I only buy online when my record shop guy can't get me what I need.

24. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!