Black Sabbath History; Question Answer Thread; New Fans Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Aug 23, 2019.

1. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

I agree with that. The idea just crossed my mind when I thought about mixing the Quadmix down to stereo, thus creating an alternative mix of the album.
    I can't imagine Tony being very fond of ANYBODY messing around with his productions anyway.:wantsome:

Paulette and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  2. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok. This is gonna be my bad.
    Pretty off topic in my own thread,
    but I've been thinking about the Sabbath album by album thread by @GodShifter
    Why was it closed to further replies?
    I've seen threads much older than that which are still open.
    Whenever I go there I get seriously ticked that I can't respond.

Anyone know why?

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. Paulette

Thanks Tim.

That little rumour made me angry for the boys.
    Glad you cleared it up.

4. Paulette

In re: to @blacksabbathrainbow
    I concur.
    Information and media content too much of the time.

Anthrax and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  5. Paulette

Car commercial?

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

LOL, different Hollywood. Hollywood Sportatorium is in Florida.
    Hollywood Sportatorium - Wikipedia

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s just the way things worked back then. These days you can keep a thread open for thousand plus posts. The new software has allowed for threads to stay open longer now. If you really want to have the threads reopened, ask a GORT. I’m sure they’ll accommodate you.

BDC, blacksabbathrainbow and Paulette like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Technically, I guess it's a truck commercial.

9. Paulette

Thanks Daahhling....

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Paulette

Question #21

I've been thinking a lot about the song Sabbra Cadabra.
    It's one of my faves.
    This question has to be prefaced with my usual, I have an untrained ear and I'm unsure if I fully comprehend what I am hearing a lot if the time.
    But is this song kind of unusual in contrast to much of their catalog with Ozz?
    Maybe "Solitude" is too.
    The energy feels so different, and they're almost kind of romantic.

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The masked voices we hear during the last part of the songs are supposedly saying not very romantic things :laugh:
    I don't feel a different approach, but aesthetically it's more linked to classic rock n' roll. Great piano work by Rick Wakeman.

blacksabbathrainbow and Paulette like this.
  12. Paulette

Oohhh, hee hee. Gotta listen to the lyrics more thoughtfully :)

13. I agree, I find it very different too.

Piano, exactly - it was indeed quite new for Sabbath to compose a rock song with piano, wasn't it? For me, that's a very important part of why this song sounds so different (to me, anyway).

Paulette likes this.
  14. Paulette

Holy moly.
    I sure didn't think I could like this song anymore than I did.
    Listening again after the comments has opened my eyes.

Like, duh, it's a piano but I never really realized it. This song is amazing.

I'm so lyrics oriented I don't fully pick the music apart.

Anyway, groovy...

Gonna have another listen to Solitude.

15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

My opinion..
    Great track from my favorite Sabbath album! Yes is veers from the course, as a lot of material from Vol 4 through NSD do.
    Many think with TE and NSD, they veered to far. For me that period (Vol 4-NSD)is the most interesting of the band, though I would say the latter two albums of the period are somewhat lesser than everything that came before. Lesser maybe, but I still like TE and NSD quite well. TE was a favorite of mine for a long time, till I over played it.

Now having said that the 1st 3 albums are absolutely great as well, just a little less in dimension with the meat and potato Vocal/Bass/Guitar/Drums for the most part.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  16. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Love Tony's flutes on Solitude, my fave parts of the that great song. And I feel Ozzy there like changing his sound enough to the point of almost sounding like a different singer, I think it's due to a change of technique, volume and style of his, like some small inflections he uses that are distinct to his style. I guess very few times Ozzy changed his singing like that, Planet Caravan comes to mind too right now...

BDC, Paulette and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  17. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Vol. 4 has always been one of my very favourite Sabbath albums.
    Btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Vol.4 was the first of the Sabbath albums not to be made under the gun of the budgetary considerations.

Paulette likes this.
  18. Paulette

I, too, really like TE.
    I think the way Ozz sounds is already like he is going to sound solo in some songs.

BDC likes this.
  19. el supernautico

I know this isn't my thread, but I want to ask a question nonetheless: Sabbath entered the studio for "Paranoid" in June 1970, but the album was released only in September.
    As Ozzy often mentions the short amounts of time recording their early albums, I wondered why it took them 3 months.
    Not that I think it took them too long, but I would like to know why it took that long - I mean, that's more or less average for bands in the ol' days, but nowhere as quick as Ozzy wants to make us think.
    Too much gigging? Or was it delayed on purpose to make more money out of the debut?

Paulette likes this.
  20. Good question. It definitely wasn't the recording itself that took so long. According to Wikipedia, recording the Paranoid album too place from 16 through 21 June 1970; Martin Popoff's notes in the appendix to his book "Black Sabbath FAQ" seem to suggest it was only 16 and 17 June. Whatever information is correct, the recordings were finished in June. Why it took until September to release the album, I don't know.

Paulette likes this.
  21. Paulette

Question #22
    @el supernautico said

I know this isn't my thread, but I want to ask a question nonetheless: Sabbath entered the studio for "Paranoid" in June 1970, but the album was released only in September.
    As Ozzy often mentions the short amounts of time recording their early albums, I wondered why it took them 3 months.
    Not that I think it took them too long, but I would like to know why it took that long - I mean, that's more or less average for bands in the ol' days, but nowhere as quick as Ozzy wants to make us think.
    Too much gigging? Or was it delayed on purpose to make more money out of the debut?

22. Devin

Devin Time's Up

I've read that Vertigo Records and Universal Music Group pressured Sabbath to not use War Pigs as the album title (as the band originally wanted) fearing backlash from supporters of the Vietnam War. It's possible that this event stalled release of the album for a while. Can anyone here verify this?

Paulette likes this.
  23. el supernautico

I can't verify, but I really don't think so. While it's true the record label didn't want to call the album "War Pigs", this can't be the reason for the delay. It's urban legend that Paranoid (the song) was written as a filler because there wasn't enough material (or the label wanted something commercial, dunno), and because of it's popularity, the album was named after it - but that decision was made earlier and is most likely not the reason for the delayed release.

Paulette and Devin like this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Source?

25. el supernautico

OMG, I was victim of my bad English, I'm so sorry!...:hide::hide:

Of course it's NOT an urban legend, but the truth. What I wanted to say is "it's something well-known to most" that Paranoid (the song) was written as a filler.
    And to clearify (there's also a thread going on about this), I define "filler" not as a mediocre song on an otherwise great album, but as songs recorded because of a demand from the producer/record label fearing having not enough quantity on a future album.