BLACK SABBATH - Technical Ecstasy box coming October 2021.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Yes, there is something wrong with the original stereo mix: it doesn't sound very good. What I am wondering is: why bring in Steven Wilson to create a MONO mix for It's Alright???

He's done all Sabbath album remasters since 2009, so...

The Syracuse Dec 12, 1976 recording is a mislabeled copy of the Pittsburgh Dec 8, 1976 recording. The set list of disc 4 of this box set is identical to the Pittsburgh set list, they just changed the order of the tracks. Unlike the Asbury Park 1975 show, Pittsburgh 1976 has never circulated in lossless quality. All existing copies including the alleged "pre-FM master reel" are in fact sourced from the "Syracuse" MP3 files on Wolfgang's Vault. This Pittsburgh aka Syracuse 1976 recording has always been incomplete, it runs 56:30 min (as opposed to the complete audience recording which runs 84 min).

I bet this is Pittsburgh, and I bet it is lossy-sourced. "Live World Tour 1976-77"? Yeah, right. Remember the "Live North American Tour ’75" recording that turned out to be just Asbury Park 1975 in lossy quality?

Disc 2 looks surprisingly good to me, except of course It's Alright in mono is a big bummer. Really frustrating. And most of the tracks on disc 3, "alternative mix"? WTF?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

I'd be curious to hear the SW remix but wouldn't spring the fortune it will require to hear it if it's unavailable elsewhere.

Purple and Doctor Flang like this.
  3. Nice! You know there's an audience recording circulating from this show, don't you?

izgoblin and BDC like this.
  4. Count me in for this. I’m happy to see SW is involved with some of these mixes, especially for this album.

Joti Cover, thgord and tinnox like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

These will be a complete disaster - brickwalled to the max - an easy pass.

Doggiedogma and ODShowtime like this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

You must not overdo it. I never heard any Sabbath remaster brickwalled to the maximum.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sweet Leaf.

8. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Once again I am in on this, can not wait !

9. Anthrax

Yes, odd AND disappointing for those of us who love the song.

Seeing as how it doesn't appear to be included on the other disc of alternates at all either makes me think the tape(s) for that song are missing.

10. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Spring, that is awhile from now, since they have been releasing these rather fast as of late.

OzzyIsDio and CBackley like this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A February release is also possible, who knows? Four more... SBS, BS, MOR, NSD.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Yep, and don't forget the Tony Martin era box set with 2 bonus tracks, due in 2045. ;)

13. KristianS

KristianS Forum Resident

I think they have made the content of the ones they want to release and are just spreading them out in the future.

tinnox likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Sharon emailed me.

Dissidence likes this.
  15. Anthrax

I like it when you get so passionate.

Dissidence likes this.
  16. Anthrax

The sticker on the box picture mentions "alternative versions mixed by Steven Wilson", so it might be something similar to what appeared on the Vol. 4 box.

slipkid and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have no clue, when Andy Pearce will do the Tony Martin era. I only know, he finished his job of the Ozzy years with a short period time to guarantee the signature mastering sound on every release. ;)

18. Anthrax

As low an opinion as some of us may have of the Sabbath boxes, one thing we can't say about them is that they've been brickwalled to the max. There's plenty to criticise in them as they are, no need to fabricate.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm hoping it means alternate takes of the finished songs, and not early takes of works in progress. Although it is very interesting to hear the process the band took in the studio, I feel weird listening to the incomplete versions with different lyrics from Vol 4 (which I listen to a lot because of the sound).

Heavy Metal Snow White and gpalz like this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

You're optimistic.

21. Anthrax

They've been releasing one every four months.

tinnox and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I honestly don't have any issues with the original mix. I think it sounds just fine.

Putting on my positive hat, I love this album, I love the sound and performances, and I look forward to hearing different versions.

Putting on my negative hat.............. Having three mixes of the album is very strange. Original Mix, Steve Wilson mix - sounds great. But a third? Why? What's different about it? We'll have to wait and see. Based on the Volume 4 perhaps they're demo's and the like? I hope they're works in progress, anyway.

Then we have the live album. Ten tracks, and only three from the album. Meh. But apparently it's an excellent show, so I guess that counts for something.

Honestly, this set is typical of what we've been getting. Love the album, the Super Deluxe seems underfed. The current price on Amazon UK for the CD is £99.99, so we'll see what that comes down to.

supernaut likes this.
  23. Regarding the live show, see my notes above:
    BLACK SABBATH - Technical Ecstasy box coming October 2021.

If I am correct and this is the Pittsburgh aka Syracuse show (and I am pretty sure I am), then the recording is OK but incomplete and clearly worse-sounding than Asbury Park 1975, and it is very likely MP3-sourced again. Plus, like the Asbury Park recording it has been available for many years.

24. Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

This is Axl Rose's favourite Sabbath album.

Is it anyone else's?

supernaut and OzzyIsDio like this.