Black Sabbath Vol. 4 Super Deluxe with Steven Wilson mixes coming 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Nov 11, 2020.

1. I've been told by someone who had talked to someone in the band that the Cal Jam tapes they (probably Iommi) have has a humming or buzzing sound they couldn't get rid of, which allegedly was why they didn't release it. And I guess there's a chance they don't have multitracks, but who knows...
    Somehow I don't believe they will release the entire London 1978 show. A possible addition would be the Pittsburgh 1978 soundboard recording.
    For a Super-Duper Deluxe Technical Ecstasy, they should include:
    - Fresno 1976 video
    - Pittsburgh 1976 audio
    - their planned but cancelled 1977 live album
    Of course, that will never happen...:shake:

2. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Yes, I know what you mean - and years ago when all we were used to were the regular studio/live albums I think I’d have been thrilled at the thought of demos and outtakes officially released, but having heard them from so many acts I’ve nearly always been underwhelmed, and when I saw that a deluxe Master Of Reality from a number of years ago basically just had the studio tracks with the vocals erased out I just thought it was a cash-grab and nothing more.

Curveboy likes this.
  3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

We just dont know.
    I looked around for some technical credits for Live At Last, but found nothing other than the 4 previous re-masterings
    (Ray Staff in '96, Pierce/Wortham in 2010 and digital in 2012, and vinyl remaster by Greg Moore in 2012)

The old manager, Patrick Meehan, originally released it in 1980, under the NEMS label.
    The only potential link to this Richard Digby-Smith from back then is that Sabbath recorded MOR at Island Studios Feb-April 1971.

I could be wrong, but how likely is it that the Sabbath organization would pay for a new remix on live material it claimed wasnt up to snuff in 1973?
    But its amazing, imo, that we actually do now have a name crediting who mixed this live material, which may indeed make it a new mix.
    Hopefully the technical notes on this new release will provide some of that information.

Reaching out to Digby-Smith might be worth the effort here.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I generally agree with your opinion on outtakes. But I really like some of instrumental versions on the deluxe Black Sabbath self-titled and Paranoid.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Is this confirmed to be $130 here in the US??

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Regarding the hum, there’s technology available to remove that.

supernaut, Plan9 and ODShowtime like this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, I got that Castle mini-LP replica collection many years ago and I was very happy with it but I'm glad I moved back to the LPs. Still, it was much fun while I had it.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

"Weevil Woman" was worth it to me on the MoR Deluxe. What a killer alternate arrangement of "Evil Woman."

But in general, I fully agree about outtakes. For example, the "Lord Of This World" outtake with slide guitar was interesting once or twice, but you can hear why they abandoned it. I did enjoy some of the early Paranoid demos, however. Hearing Ozzy scat sing on "Planet Caravan" is very interesting to me because it helps explain how he comes up with melodies. But as interesting as it can be, that stuff just does not get repeated plays.

Having said this, I don't know... alternate takes of Wheels Of Confusion? Count me in. Sure, maybe I won't spin it again after I file the box away but that song is a heavy rock symphony and I can't help but be curious to hear anything that reveals how it came together or what it was like trying to pull it off.

9. I am sure Tony is aware of that. I am not saying it makes a lot of sense, I just told you what I've been told. And I have a feeling Tony usually just doesn't like to release old live recordings, whatever the reasons.

I agree that most outtakes/alternative takes/instrumental versions do not invite frequent listening. However, I think you may be misremembering the part about the MOR bonus tracks. There's 9 tracks altogether on the bonus disc, most or all of them are alt. takes, only 2 of them are instrumentals, and 1 is a previously unreleased song:
    2-1 Weevil Woman '71 2:57
    2-2 Sweet Leaf (Studio Outtake Featuring Alternative Lyrics) 5:02
    2-3 After Forever (Studio Outtake - Instrumental) 5:17
    2-4 Children Of The Grave (Studio Outtake Featuring Alternative Lyrics) 4:34
    2-5 Children Of The Grave (Studio Outtake - Instrumental) 5:58
    2-6 Orchid (Studio Outtake - With Tony Count-In) 1:35
    2-7 Lord Of This World (Studio Outtake Featuring Piano & Slide Guitar) 5:36
    2-8 Solitude (Studio Outtake - Intro With Alternative Guitar Tuning) 3:42
    2-9 Into The Void "Spanish Sid" (Studio Outtake - Alternative Version)

IMO this was rather interesting bonus material. Nice to hear Solitude without the vocal effect, for example. Significantly better than the Paranoid bonus disc.

10. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

:doh: :tiphat:

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Call me crazy but I actually listen to the 3 deluxe bonus CDs a lot. Well worth having in the collection.

12. This.

13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Really hoping the live disc is different versions than "Live at Last" but no doubt I will get it anyway.

ODShowtime and hi_watt like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The available studio bonus material has been pretty good up to now. It seems they're getting more expansive with this future re-release. It's the trend of most archival releases nowadays.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. Jochen

Jochen Forum Resident

Not only is Vol 4 the best Sabbath album, it's one of the best albums of all time. Super Deluxe Edition....come to Daddy.

Weirwolfe, Jam757, supernaut and 19 others like this.
  16. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

:edthumbs:

OE3 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, IMO, that MoR bonus disc is the best one.

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

You might be thinking of Paranoid. I feel exactly how you described about that bonus disc.

19. I'm in for this and a special edition of Sabotage. I'm especially down for a vinyl version of the Hammersmith Odeon show from 1978.

20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I believe thats called marriage....:tiphat:

21. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I always thought the mix was fine but it was just a weak album. But listening to it recently I was struck by how washed out Bill’s drums sound, how tiny Geezer’s bass is compared to earlier stuff and Ozzy’s voice sounds really shrill. Way more than on earlier Sabbath. I think with a good remix the album could be way improved.

pexie, hi_watt and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  22. MetalPatchesVinyl

MetalPatchesVinyl Forum Resident

So I need to buy another version now? I love this album, so I guess I'm in.
    [​IMG]

23. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I’m not talking about downtuning, the song is known to have out of tune guitar. I think it’s the g string that’s a bit flat. Don’t mind it much personally, but then again it could be interesting to hear a different version.

pexie and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

ABC supposedly wiped all the multitrack tapes after they were mixed for broadcast.

Unlikely, as the Asbury Park tape is part of Wolfgang's these days.

Oh yes!

pool_of_tears and hi_watt like this.
  25. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Amen to that.