Blonde (2022) - new film about Marilyn Monroe

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by raphph, Sep 24, 2022.

1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Does this move paint Marilyn as a victim?

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the film does make one wonder just how much of it was 'exaggerated' for artistic purpose.......

and ana de armas is everything everyone has said about her and more. probably the role of her lifetime.

agentalbert and RSteven like this.
  3. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Only watched 15 minutes of it and thought it was really bad with everything extremely underlined. And I love Dominik's Jesse James. In fact, it felt more Snyder than Dominik.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Blonde (novel) - Wikipedia
    Blonde is a bestselling 2000 biographical fiction novel by Joyce Carol Oates that presents a fictionalized take on the life of American actress Marilyn Monroe.

I have no doubt Joyce Carol Oates piled all the crap on Monroe she could. I lived in Princeton for many years and everyone who had her as a teacher said she's weird, jealous woman. I met her once at a poetry reading. Small scrawny thing in glasses who does seems quite creepy. I don't doubt making a sex bomb into a helpless punching bag pleased her in some strange way.

malcolm reynolds likes this.
  5. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

She’s explored all sorts of themes in her fiction, and female agency is one of the major ones. She does so, like any writer worth their name, from all sides, and unflinchingly. She’s highly engaging and imho perceptive on Twitter, and well aware of all the baggage that comes with gothic as a literary genre (as opposed to teens who look at the floor). If that makes her ‘creepy’ then bring on the creepiness.

Scopitone, Billy Infinity and raphph like this.
  6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Ok, I’ll bite. What does that have to do with anything?

7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It seems your outrage at demeaning Marilyn has led you to do the same to someone else.

8. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

The problem - one of the problems - is that this movie both is AND isn't about Marilyn Monroe.

So some see it as an exploitative effort which, if criticized for taking liberties, can simply remind people of the above.

A bit too clever for my taste, especially on top of the horror.

9. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yeah - big problems with that flick too.

I don't know that you could ever make an honest film about Gandhi and not get an X rating, and I understand the challenges Attenborough faced, but that an epic film made 20 years AFTER Lawrence would be LESS honest about its subject than Lean's flick is problematic.

10. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Another problematic flick, and truly horrible to watch - though worthwhile - but I don't think the objections to this movie about MM (or IS it about MM??) are based in adoration slagged.

11. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Some REALLY good comments.

One of the many objections to the movie is the failure to address agency, and I concur that she would NOT be pleased.

12. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Again, is the movie about Marilyn Monroe?

Or a random blond woman who was treated horribly?

The actual person, and her many complexities - including her strengths, joys, self-destructive tendencies, complexities and agency - would interest me greatly in cinematic form.

This film strikes me as joyless, abject exploitation, albeit in an artsy package.

VU Master likes this.
  13. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

A serious cinematic effort to explore that particular relationship would have my ass in a seat & popcorn in my hands ASAP! :)

But it should be noted that Miller openly admitted to violent physical altercations with Monroe.

14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

The physical resemblance is striking, as is the vibe, at least of Movie Marilyn.

RSteven likes this.
  15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

THAT is a movie I would LOVE to see!

Ultimately it might be said he betrayed her, but extenuation pertains.

16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

She’s a literary miracle

17. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I watched the first twenty minutes, then skipped to the JFK bit, then skipped to the last scene. In that respect, I thought it was very good, but I really can't judge.

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. Watched 'Blonde' this morning & all I have to say is this: that is one of the most beautifully terrifying horror movies I have ever seen. And that Ana de Armas deserves a vacation...

raphph, woody, muzzer and 2 others like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the only good thing about this movie was the eye candy...

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and an Oscar!

Old Rusty likes this.
  21. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

This film was the best evocation of America's commodification of human beings... a Modern Horror Story. We are not in possession of our lives, and people project on to us pictures we don't like to see or even imagine. Norma jean never stood a chance in Big Daddy's Home 1950s ...

raphph and Old Rusty like this.
  22. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Wow ... this is a tough thread! I watched Blonde last week, and I thought it was riveting. I understand it's not supposed to be taken literally, but I thought it really showed the unravelling quite well. Ana de Armas was superb. Beautifully filmed. Entertaining!

raphph, Callahan and Old Rusty like this.
  23. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I haven't watched this, but I've read online from several different people that this film is basically Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me. Apparently even the score, done by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, sounds a lot like Angelo Badalamenti. Can anyone comment on this?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  24. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I saw it today and I hated it.

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've got the CD soundtrack of the original Blonde (2001) performed by Pat Williams. One of the few black discs I own!;) Good record.