Blu-ray 3D - not dead yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevywevy, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Saying that I did a recent check in a department store ( different town) and they had stock. Not the same shop floor presentation display like 2013.They had a LG 65” OLED 4K for 500.00, boxed. If 3D is ended ( no resurrection)that’s what I’ll probably get in a couple of years, though 75”.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That's a great deal. I got the 55" model and it's "sale price" a couple of years ago was $1,800.

If I'm not mistaken, LG stopped putting 3D in subsequent models of its TVs so I assume that 65" model for $500 is the one from a couple of years ago.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

No don’t think this one did 3-D. Just 2D.
    Don’t know what I’m going to do with my hundred Blu Ray 3D steelbooks, guess keep them. As a way of a one finger salute the industry is not going to get what I usually spend on a tv, as a way to punish them for stop making 3D TVs.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    ted321 likes this.
  4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Got it. I just misread your post. Still a great deal for an OLED set, even without 3D.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Yep! Wait for a 75“ !!! Checked the viewing distance on display of a 75“ ..and from 8/10 feet away looked good. I have a 55“ looks really small now.

6. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

When I saw the first 3D TV's at Fryes I thought, "Isn't that cute. Just like quad back in the early 70's. :)

mj_patrick likes this.
  7. alexpop

Quad LP : Dark Side Of The Moon. Yes please!!!
    :D

8. Vinyl is final

I'm a big fan of 3D and have been producing 3D film slides (now digital) since the late 70's, but I discovered a problem with it a long time ago. It give people headaches, and I think I know why:

It's about focus and parallax. When you are focused on something 5 feet away, the parallax angle is also set to five feet. Your brain gets used to that. But with a 3D TV, 8 feet from your head, if an item makes you think its a foot from your head, the parallax angle is at one foot, but your focus is at 8 feet. You can do that a bit, but for a long period you start getting dizzy, or headaches, etc.

It actually becomes a completely different viewing experience in a lot of social ways. If a 3D TV is on, it needs to look like 3D by the naked eye to anyone an the room. The only exception is "home theaters", where everyone is specifically focused on the event on the screen. That's not really all that common these days.

9. Vinyl is final

It's really cool, but this stuff has to be accepted by the masses to work. ;)

10. alexpop

3D? Creature From The Black Lagoon is amazing in 3D ( and it’s in b&w kiddies).

ted321 likes this.
  11. alexpop

Not insane.
    Fine with niche.

12. Vinyl is final

I think you mean red and green. :D

13. Vinyl is final

Hey, I used to be all about Niche. I had a Laserdisk player, for crying out loud. :D

14. alexpop

Still a lot of DVDs about. Just saying.:D

15. Vinyl is final

I have roughly a hundred. :)

I have no laserdisks any more. Dumped 'em all 20 years ago.

16. alexpop

Sold out ???
    Yeah ..they fly out. Early purchasers usually clean out the few steelbooks in stock. Got to go early for those.

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I still love 3D but I upgraded my main TV to 4k which doesn't have 3d, of course. I put my old 3D tv in my bedroom just to watch 3D. I wonder how many other people have an 80" TV in their bedroom? :p

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

Wearing 3D glasses no less. :)

Raylinds likes this.
  19. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

At this point, if you want to do 3D, projectors are the way to go.

GlamorProfession likes this.
  20. alexpop

Not making 3D TV, but what about 3D blu ray player..for projectors. What’s the best high end 3D player still available?

21. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Depending on how you define "best", the best currently available 3D Blu-ray player could be the Panasonic UB9000 or the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500. The Panasonic player (which I own) is only available in the U.S. from Value Electronics (see here--note that I have no affiliation with Value Electronics). The UB9000 is expected to open up for wider distribution in a few months. The Pioneer player may be a bit more widely available in the U.S. but it is also something that Value Electronics sells (see here). You can find data sheets for each on the pages I've linked. Both players work with UHD 4k as well as with 3-D.

The Panasonic UB9000 excels in 4k display, with the Panasonic's current state of the art HDR10 tone mapping designed to selectably fit the video dynamic range characteristics of the user's flat screen TV or projector. The Panasonic player has two HDMI outs, 7.1 (RCA) analog audio outs, as well as stereo RCA and balanced analog audio outs. The Panasonic provides Dolby Vision and HDR10+ playback, though some users report the Dolby Vision playback is a bit too bright compared to Oppo 4k Dolby Vision playback. (My 55 inch Sony XBR55X930D, which is 3D and 4k HDR10 capable, does not provide Dolby Vision.) The UB9000 cannot play SACD or DVD-A disks, though it is capable of playing DSD. Note that Dolby Labs is said to provide the Dolby Vision capability for the UB9000 as a "black box", with no user adjustments available (and I've read that was also true for the Oppo 4k players--which makes the stated Panasonic/Oppo difference in Dolby Vision display brightness somewhat confusing).

The Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 provides HDR10 and Dolby Vision playback, but does not provide HDR10+ capability. I've seen no statements concerning the quality of the Pioneer's Dolby Vision playback, but then I have not gone in search of any such statements for the Pioneer, because Dolby Vision is not really relevant to me. (I presume the Pioneer's Dolby vision is also provided by Dolby Labs as a "black box" capability.) The Pioneer has stereo analog RCA outs, but no balanced analog outs and no multi-channel analog audio outs. The Pioneer can play SACDs and it can also play DVD-A disks.

As a personal comment, the Panasonic UB9000 has terrific video (and sound) capabilities, and fits my needs perfectly. (I also have a multi-region Oppo 103 which meshes nicely with the UB9000 and, for me, the Oppo completes the needs I have for video playback...and of course provides SACD and DVD-A playback with analog outs.)

Though the Panasonic's HDR10 tone mapping is a very worthwhile feature, I'd expect the Pioneer Elite's slightly more conventional video capabilities to be excellent.

As a further personal comment, I have well over 100 3-D Blu-ray discs, with more being discovered/purchased all the time, and 3-D playback is very important to me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    alexpop and Ghostworld like this.
  22. alexpop

I’m not interested in recorders. But the Panasonic UB9000 looks interesting. I have a Panasonic BDT500, but the 3D image is a little dark, also it’s starting to play up, freeze.. and that’s with dvds( player 5 years old). It’s reassuring though there is other models.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  23. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Nice theory, but incorrect. I remember reading some comments from Phil "Captain 3D" McNally, who is a Stereoscopic Supervisor in Hollywood, and he related that the convergence is adjusted from home tv screens from what went out in the DCP for theaters. Even with the adjustment done for 3D Blu Ray, there are adjustments the user can apply at the player and TV level. There are some badly photographed and/or converted 3D films where the convergence from shot to shot is not consistent and plays havoc with the viewers vision, usually in theaters. Cutting quickly from one convergence to the other hurts your brain! Depth of field is also critical for 3D work, and many directors ignore this because they don't like the restrictions of having to keep the background mostly in focus. Human eyes are capable of shifting convergence and focus at will, that can't be done when you're sitting watching a film when these parameters have been chosen for you.

Derek

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Just got three new 3-D blu-rays in the mail today. Jivaro, Sangaree and Those Redheads From Seattle. 50s flicks and I haven’t seen Jivaro before. The other two, while decent, aren’t 100% my bag baby, but they were at a discount and I like to support the 3-D Film Archive’s work when I can. I am excited about their forthcoming 3-D nudie cuties set and the 80s schlock that is PARASITE. My kinda 3-D. :D

Derek Gee likes this.
  25. alexpop

Guess the studios don’t want you to watch a 3D movie on the little screen(tv), when they can make you spend mega bucks on a theatre showing, not only the ticket is expensive, but also there’s eaterie cost $$$ as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.