Blu-ray player for HDMI Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jarrod2750, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarrod2750

jarrod2750 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What player would you recommend for audio only over hdmi besides an oppo? I primarily need it so I can listen to my copies of multichannel files from my NAS. I have a Marantz av8805 which HEOS only supports two channel and a Cambridge 851N which also only supports two channel

siebrand likes this.
  2. siebrand

siebrand music lover

4xoddic likes this.
  3. jarrod2750

Would you consider that a better option than the Sony ubp ex 1100?

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I can play my multichannel files from my NAS to my AV8805 via JRiver, Roon, etc,. as well as via an Oppo.

gd0 likes this.
  5. jarrod2750

Thanks Kal. In your setup is the oppo the renderer for Jriver?

6. Kal Rubinson

Optionally. I also run direct from Jriver/server/streamer to the 8805 by HDMI.

7. jarrod2750

Gotcha. Sounds like it might be time to start using a pc directly connected to my 8805 for either JRiver or Roon to take advantage of a hdmi connection for multichannel playback while I continue to use my existing NAS.

8. Kal Rubinson

Yup. Just be cautioned that multichannel is not on the menu for many/most proprietary players. Easier for a PC with a decent player (I prefer JRiver) but that high-resolution, multichannel, up/down-sampling, bass management and DSP can eat up CPUs. Choose wisely.

9. jarrod2750

I ended up resurrecting an old pc that I forgot I had and upgrading it with a Solid state drive. Now just a matter of deciding to use either Jriver, Audirvana or Roon. Last time I looked at Roon years ago, lifetime was $500. I can’t believe it is now $700! Geez...

10. jarrod2750

I’ve done some testing with JRiver, Audirvana and Roon. To be honest and without fiddling with any of the audio settings, I can’t tell a difference in sound between the three of them running on my PC through HDMi to my Marantz 8805.

Audirvana plays everything except 192khz files because of an issue with Heos which the Audirvana team has to address at some point. I have issues with Roon where it is causing my Ethernet adapter to disable somehow and the log is being reviewed (the price tag is another issue), but Jriver plays anything I will throw out it without issue.

My setup will be a headless pc, and I don’t really have a need for media library and streaming integration since I mainly use amazon hd for streaming. I do think the Roon interface is top notch and elegant, but not sure if the value proposition is there, would have to get my tech issues resolved and I can’t really tell any difference in sound between the three....

11. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

I thought you migrated to exaSound.

12. Kal Rubinson

Different system.

13. jarrod2750

Kal - I appreciate you recommending JRiver. Based on my experiences with it I don’t think it gets the love it deserves, when you take it for the value it delivers.

14. Kal Rubinson

Agreed. OTOH, I am in the process of replacing it as a DAC in that system, too. Details yet unresolved.

15. jarrod2750

Are you looking to move away from JRiver? If so, I will be curious to see what you go with next.

I tested Roon too, but I am having some technical issues that remain unresolved . It’s not really worth it to me to keep to throw more money at it when I am only looking for bit perfect playback and in that scenario JRiver sounds the same, as well as Audirvana. And, JRiver works for me as-is.

16. Kal Rubinson

Nope. I play with Roon but I am sticking with JRiver. Jriver never surprises or disappoints me and, when I find something that bothers me, it always seems fixable. It just works.

17. Vinay

Vinay Member

OP, what device did you end up getting? I am looking at possible solutions to stream SACD Disk or ISO/Files from NAS thru HDMI connected to Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar. Yet to confirm if the soundbar can handle Multi Channel DSD.

18. Kal Rubinson

Nothing yet but I have a spare Okto Dac8 that I am trying to integrate. There will be no HDMI involved.

19. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I would not recommend the Sony… like at all. I was a huge Sony fan boy, I’m still a Sony dealer.. I have been through two Sony x800’s and two Sony 700. The replacements That stopped working and constantly locked up, buffering.. threw them in the trash and went Panasonic 820 and 420 and not only does everything look better but absolutely flawless with zero issues. I know your talking just Audio, but I’ll never buy another Sony player again in my life. Love their TV’s and Projectors still, but no client will ever be sold a Sony player again. They don’t care either. Zero customer service help.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I appreciate your honesty about Sony players. I had bad experiences with Sony players years ago and vowed to never but another. Bought a mint used Sony 5400ES a few years back. Great player but had a nagging feeling that it could crap out at any moment. Sold it and stuck with my Oppo 205.

I would suggest the OP look at a used Oppo 103 or 105. I have both and they've been rock solid. Although for the OP going the PC route with JRiver (I have no experience with either) is the best way to go. I'm a computer nitwit so it's all Greek to me :help:.

21. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

same here- brand new x800 couldn't play a disc without locking up. panny 820 plays all the same discs no problem at all.

Funky54 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.