“Blue-eyed Soul” : Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Athey, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Eric Athey

Eric Athey Humble Threadster Thread Starter

I have my own ideas of how “blue-eyed soul” music is defined and which artists and songs fall under the umbrella - but am often surprised to hear others characterize certain artists as BES singers who I think of as pure pop or rock n roll. Invite any of you to post favorite artists and songs within this sub-genre and to comment on the boundaries if it. Who’s in, who’s out and why. Bonus points for obscure + quality. I’ll kick off the song entries with the classic below and we’ll see if this idea has legs. Have to admit, this is the first time I’ve actually seen Roy Head on video. The dude can dance!

2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I like John Fred & His Playboy Band.

A. Scrounger and Eric Athey like this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Some of my more loved (white) singers fit into the soul / blues sphere

Darrel Nulisch
    Billy Price
    Tad Robinson
    Sven Zetterberg

Another great who covers many bases including soul is

Delbert McClinton

And a couple of young & up an comers who fit into the southern soul style

Marcus King
    Josh Teskey (Teskey Brothers)

So no need to be stuck in the 60's

4. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

5. Trace

Trace Senior Member

The Righteous Brothers are a fine example of blue eyed soul to me.

6. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

A few British females come to mind:

Lisa Stansfield
    Amy Winehouse
    Duffy
    Dusty Springfield

7. Exonian

Exonian Forum Resident

The guv'nor, Bobby Caldwell

Nostaljack, Sean, rkt88 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Mitch Ryder sounded more like a soul singer than an actual soul singer.

Steve Marriott obviously.

Early Steve Winwood.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  9. Well, Dusty would be of the correct era and orientation, the others, fine singers where the pop rubric outweighs the soul title as soul no longer existed.

10. StickyFingers85

StickyFingers85 They Think He's a Righteous Dude

The Magnificent Men

efraley and zphage like this.
  11. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

Love that Wham! saxophone player.

12. Bnk

Bnk Forum Resident

This one was written by Holland Dozier Holland on Motown and the singer was definitely the 'blue eyed' R Dean Taylor.
    There's A Ghost On My House. Dunno why they gave it to him, and not,say The Temptations but you can hear him bring a bit of his country, rockabilly background to it. It was a British Northern Soul Classic, a real dancefloor filler. (a 1974 UK hit but released USA 1967)

Blue eyed soul? In the 60s...Production and musicians African American...the singer white? 'Dusty In Memphis' qualifies.

iggyd likes this.
  13. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Boz Scaggs- first one I thought of. Paul Carrack of Ace, Squeeze, and Mike & the Mechanics (and solo) fame - the second one I thought of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Simply Red (Mitch Hucknall) was third.

14. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Can't we all just get along

15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree with many earlier comments e.g. Paul Carrack, Boz Scaggs, and Hall and Oates.
    I would add Mick Hucknall of Simply Red, especially on the early albums.
    I could also make a case for early Rod Stewart - he did some great soul covers on his classic solo albums, and his Python Lee Jackson “In a Broken Dream” single.
    But when I think of blue eyed soul, I tend more to songs like Misty Blue by Dorothy Moore.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The Rascals

iggyd, CliffL, smarone313 and 4 others like this.
  17. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I am too young for the 60s but the UK pub rock and college circuit scenes featured many artists that would fit that description. Taking their cue from Van and Dusty, Jess Roden (with and without his band), Frankie Miller, Cado Belle would be three. Kokomo for four. Ace were not really Soul as-such though How Long has a kind of mid period Isleys vibe to it. Already established and from a slightly earlier intake you can add Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer to that. And Average White Band of course. FBI, Gonzalez, Moon and Olympic Runners all fit the bill musically but had multi cultural line ups. Though for me it is not just about the racial make up of a band line up. That kind of sound in the UK brought in elements from other genres and an unusual degree of rock dynamics in the live arena instead of what I would call a more "cabaret" sound with performance values that were more Vegas / showbiz oriented. When Danny Baker talks about AWB being the best band he has ever seen I completely get that. Jess Roden Band were also capable of tearing it up. The likes of Graham Parker toughened that sound into an edgier, more Stones-ified thing but the Stones of the mid 60s and 73-76 not 69-72.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  18. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Peter Wolf
    Cory Wells

Rockford & Roll and souldeep69 like this.
  19. Exonian

Exonian Forum Resident

Average White Band - among so much else best ever rendition of Leon Ware and Pam Sawyer's If I Ever Lose This Heaven from Cut the Cake

20. Exonian

Exonian Forum Resident

The great Bobby Caldwell with What You Won't Do For Love. It has a cult reputation in the UK - it's from the debut album of the same name.

Sampled and covered by many, but never bettered.

21. Exonian

Exonian Forum Resident

And the other great track that brought him to the attention of the UK : Down For The Third Time again from his incredible first album. For those not aware, this stuff is legendary.

22. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Eddie Hinton was first name in my mind

Dan Penn (who also wrote many true soul classics) especially his “Do Right Man” album

23. TelePhonic

TelePhonic Forum Resident

Hearing these two guys do it, stripped down to the bare essentials is about as good as it gets. This whole album is a treat.

24. Bnk

Bnk Forum Resident

The Four Seasons were more obviously soul in their 70s incarnation, but maybe because of their doo-wop background always struck me as blue eyed soul boys in the 60s. Such a great, consistent band whatever. 'Ragdoll', 1964.

25. zither

zither Forum Resident

This track springs to mind..