Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

If I could only pick 2 without thinking too hard...
    Kenny Dorham / Una Mas
    Art Blakey / Indestructible

I also really dig Scofield / Hand Jive but I wouldn’t deem it “essential”.

2. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

Awesome, thank you! I already bought Indestructible and love it.

3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

You nailed it on these 3. @Crabcakez May I also recommend thinking about Alligator Bogaloo, Intro Johnny Griffin, Jutta Hipp and Inventions and Dimensions. Enjoy your search!

4. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendations, added to want list!

5. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I know plenty of you have encountered problems with Amazon when it comes to their packaging/shipping practices. I am not talking about damaged records or non-fill or off-center pressings but about the jacket condition when it arrives at your doorstep. I shared before that I have not personally had this problem...until now. I returned my first copy of Inventions and Dimensions because of a damaged cover. Returned it for a replacement and got the 2nd copy a few days later. However, the replacement was pretty much the same but to a lesser degree. So, I am returning this one as well and will no longer ask for a replacement but a refund.

I have shared this photo once before.
    [​IMG]

I have vinyls of all 7 Herbie Hancock Blue Notes: two are 80s DMM issues; four are 70s blue label with either black or white BN logo; and my Inventions and Dimensions copy is a white Liberty Records issue. In addition, I have the 6-CD box set "The Complete Blue Note Sixties Sessions". Also have the Music Matters 33 rpm of "Empyrean Isles" and "Maiden Voyage". Lastly, I have a Japanese King issue of "The Prisoner" from the late 70s released as part of the Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150 (GXK series). I would now rather chase the other Hancock titles from this series than buy any more recent reissues.

Oops I forgot, I do have the Cisco issue of "Takin' Off".

I did not purchase the BN80 of "Takin' Off" and will now pass up on "Inventions and Dimensions". I am happy with what I have and they should be more than enough...or are they??? :whistle:

mktracy likes this.
  6. Crazysteve

As long as you’re happy man. When you have them all and they’re good, there’s plenty more out there that you don’t have I assume. Get something else. When I don’t have a title, these reissues are solid and affordable for me. Keep chasing the magic you don’t have. It’s not a buying contest. By just the looks of the Hancock’s you have, you must have a sweet collection.

7. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

It's the start of my first week off in 2.5 years and couldn't think of a better way to kick it off than a couple of sodas and some Jutta Hipp.

rxcory, Marko K, KOWHeigel and 9 others like this.
  8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I picked up Herbie Hancock – Inventions & Dimensions and Jutta Hipp – Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims. I passed on Joe Henderson since I have the MM45 version of that title. I also went backwards, release-date-wise and picked up Lonnie Smith – Think! I skipped all the titles from that date. Are the other two any good?

The Herbie Hancock and Jutta Hipp titles are two of the very best of the series so far. Perfect, flat and noiseless pressings! The new inner sleeves are a welcomed change. I'm going to use them instead of swapping for Mo-Fi. I did notice they are not perfectly cut and run a little small for the vinyl. A big step forward on the whole!

dman23, shawnwes, Dmann201 and 2 others like this.
  9. Crazysteve

I finally picked up In n Out. The record this time, not the burgers. It sounds amazing and the music is phenomenal. This one will be played a lot.
    [​IMG]

10. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

So happy they changed the inners!! The old paper sleeves were useless.

dman23, rxcory, Marko K and 1 other person like this.
  11. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

Yes! I just opened my copy of Jutta Hipp that arrived this week and was pleasantly surprised to see that they have now included a lined, better quality inner sleeve. Nice to see someone is listening to the feedback.

dman23 likes this.
  12. Crazysteve

With Grant Green’s Born to be Blue landing on my TT this weekend, and Alive! already preordered for a while, I figured I’d get into a Grant Green mode and stream Alive. I had no doubt that I’d dig the music, hence the preorder, but (unlike many of you I’m sure) I did not know Idris Muhammad was the drummer for this session. His drumming just rocks and my excitement level for this release went right through the roof.

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Oh Alive is a great album. Two heavy classic Funk workouts and two beautiful mellow trance like tracks. There is another albums worth of performances from the gig that only saw the light of day on the CD reissue. Maiden Voyage being the standout, although these extra tracks are probably included in the stream.

Dmann201 and Crazysteve like this.
  14. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

A bit late to the Herbie party but it was delivered today and wow, a perfect start to my Friday night.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    dman23, magnet, shawnwes and 4 others like this.
  15. Crazysteve

This album is killer. I enjoyed it myself once again to during a music marathon. It’s simply amazing. Enjoy!

aoxomoxoa and Rekkerds like this.
  16. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

17. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

We've had confirmation a few times now that the Tone Poet series is doing well and will be continuing for several more years... Have we had any similar confirmation about the BN80 series? I assume that the line is doing fairly well if they care enough to listen to feedback and switch out inners...

18. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I think it’s reasonable to assume that the BN80 series is limited, lust like the BN75 series. The whole point of each was to celebrate an anniversary, and since the BN80 were announced clear in to next year, my guess is that will be that.

19. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I think so too. But the question is...do we have to wait another 5 years, like for BN's 85th Anniversary, to see another round of these great reissues? It's anybody's guess at this point. Good thing that the Tone Poet series will be continuing in 2020 and beyond.

20. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

That Target buy 2 get 1 Sale is back on, not sure how many days it runs for but the good thing is one of the pre-orders available is the Grant Green Sunday morning LP. They also have the next 3 Blue Notes up for pre-order at a better price than Amazon especially Dr Lonnie Smith Club Mozambique

PATB, MisterBritt, AnalogJ and 4 others like this.
  21. H.I.McDonough

H.I.McDonough Forum Resident

Dude this is a PRO TIP

22. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Good lookin' out!

23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

On the shelf for 25 years before being released as a double LP in '95. Ronnie Cuber on bari sax and George Benson on guitar make this a must-buy LP. So I just pre-ordered via that Target sale!

Regarding Joe Dukes on drums, I'm not familiar with this playing but he's all over Jack McDuff's albums, and he's from Memphis so you know he can groove. Really looking forward to this one!

[​IMG]

24. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

A whopping ~$40 cheaper than Amazon for me. Great deal!

25. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Joe Dukes is so great! I am delighted he's been added to the lineup of the BN80 series. Here's a video where you can see him playing with Brother Jack McDuff. George Benson is on this date, too.

From the "it's a small world" zone, another drummer who is featured on three of the BN80 and Tone Poet series, Idris Muhammad, his brother played with Jack McDuff as well. His brother "Weedy" was legendary, one of the greatest of all New Orleans drummers, but he never recorded. There's another guy like that named Ike Day from Chicago. Weedy Morris and Ike Day might be two of the greatest drummers of all time and they never got a chance to record or make records so most guys have never even heard of them. What we're getting on records is one thing -- and it's great! -- but there was another zone back in the day, with a lot of great musicians who nobody really knows about because they weren't captured on tape.

Now back to Joe Dukes. He composed a classic tune called Soulful Drums on Prestige Records.

A FLG Maurepas upload - Joe Dukes - Soulful Drums - Jazz

And from the "it's a small world" zone, here is Idris Muhammad, Weedy Morris' younger brother, performing Soulful Drums, also on Prestige, for his record, "Black Rhythm Revolution." That's a great record!

Idris Muhammed - Soulful Drums

And here is Steve Smith throwing down on it. Steve is probably better known outside the jazz world from a rock band he was in called the Journey. (We worked together on a book called "The Roots of Rock Drumming." I was a contributing editor and he was something like an associate editor. I actually never met him in person, but he spearheaded the project toward the end, as I recall.)

Joe Dukes' Soulful Drums ~ Steve Smith

Anyway, Soulful Drums is a classic. My favorite version is Idris Muhammad. Maybe one day we'll get something like the BN80 and Tone Poet series from Prestige. I have several of the AP Prestige reissues, but I'm talking about the mid- to late-sixties, early seventies stuff. You know, the good stuff! Guys like Joe Dukes, Idris Muhammad, Bernard Purdie!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    spindly, Dean R, Hank and 5 others like this.