Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Are they still crediting I Can’t Stand It as a Lonnie original- it's actually the James Brown hit.

rxcory and scotti like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes they are (credited on back cover) and you are so right. On the 1971 "Hot Pants" album...excellent call out and thanks so much! Makes me want to crank up "Live At The Apollo"!

Dean R likes this.
  3. MealsOnWheelsATX

MealsOnWheelsATX Active Member

I've been waiting for
    I couldn't wait anymore for the AP repress...I got The Complete Masters...even after multipe times through the VPI 16.5...the first disc has so many pops in the low volume sections, it hard to listen too...It's gotta go back, I hate to say it.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m sorry to hear that. The Coltrane album was pressed at United, the worst of all pressing plants.

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Has AP specifically said they are repressing A Love Supreme? I think it's been out of stock for years.

6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It's listed as Back Ordered, and usually I don't put any faith in that designation. However, AP recently repressed their Norah Jones, Charles Mingus, and Gil Evans titles after they were unavailable for years, so never say never?

GentleSenator and spacecoyote like this.
  7. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

On the topic of AP backorders. The recent repressings of Out of the Cool (Impulse) and the Norah Jones set (Blue Note) gave me some hope for other titles from those labels, and then the out-of-the-blue reappearance of Green Street (Blue Note) had me really excited for what else could suddenly come back from the abyss.

Then I noticed that the AP45 Blue Train went from "Backordered" (a state it's been in for years) to now read SOLD OUT... and this doesn't seem to have affected any of the other BN45s: John Coltrane-Blue Train-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

In my active imagination this means somebody else has gobbled up the license and will put out a new stereo Blue Train release... and I will buy it because surely I need a fifth or sixth "definitive" copy of that one...

But it also might just mean AP is probing for whatever licenses they can renew for repressings, and while Blue Note shut the door on Blue Train the door remains open elsewhere.

Re: A Love Supreme, if that AP45 ever gets repressed I'll pick it up too, but in the meantime the 1980 MCA pressing is a well-regarded vintage alternative. It's very wide stereo (which I actually like, others might not) but well-regarded around here and can be found cheaply.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Noonie likes this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

AP's license was for a limited number of copies. It means they pressed all they were allowed to do. It has no bearing on someone else now having one. MMJ had a license to press the mono at the same time AP was still selling stereo copies of the 45.

9. Gabe Walters

Typically the labels will do a nonexclusive license to press a certain number of copies (or for a certain number of years) on a given format--45 or 33. The "nonexclusive" there refers to the label's ability to market the title itself, notwithstanding the licensee's license. But typically, one boutique reissue label getting the rights to a title on a particular format will make that format unavailable to other boutique reissue labels. So, while AP had the 45 license, Music Matters couldn't release the title on 45--but they could get the license to do it on 33. I'm pretty sure this is why Music Matters switched to the 33 format and immediately did titles that AP had done on 45--they wanted a crack at those titles but couldn't get the rights on 45.

timzigs likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Right, but these aren't open ended either. They are limited to a particular number of copies for resale. 2500 or 3500 in the case of AP and MMJ.

11. Gabe Walters

Of course.

12. YEX 750-1

I have those MM and AP versions - I was just mentioning Blue Train as a unique data point because it specifically changed from being backordered for years to now saying "Sold Out." Many other BN 45s (Moanin', etc) are still listed as backordered - and I assume in most of those cases, they've pressed all the copies they are allowed to.

I had asked Acoustic Sounds about Blue Train last year and their response was "We don't currently have the rights to press Blue Train... It wouldn't be listed on our website if we knew for sure we weren't going to press more." Seems like now they know for sure it's not coming back- and I'm simply wondering what changed.

And then my imagination took many jumps from there to the place of dreaming up a new audiophile Blue Train release to throw my money away on.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

As I have the AP and the MMJ SRX. I suppose the only new Blue Train reissue I would be remotely interested in is a stereo 33. If that emerged as a future Tone Poet cut by Kevin Gray I'd be all over it, but I'm not holding my breath.

14. YEX 750-1

I'm with you there- a stereo 33 would be nice but I don't actually expect it. It's also probably the last thing I need. Plenty of new titles our there to discover.

15. Josquin des Prez

Yes, I agree. I really don't desire another Blue Train. There are too many other things I want.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Not AP or MMJ, but I have a 2000 stereo 33 on Classic Records.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I have not played or bought any Blue Note reissue for a good few weeks but today I have Live At Club Mozambique waiting at home for when I finish work. Only ever heard it via stream sites so it should be good. Does anyone know any details on if it’s digital or AAA.

18. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

It's AAA. I think the only ones that aren't AAA are the newer ones that can't possibly be (recorded in the 90s or whatnot)

Tuck1977 likes this.
  19. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

What does SRX mean, please?

20. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

From Music Matters' website in their own words:

SRX stands for “Silent Running Xperience.” SRX is our own proprietary formula, conceived and developed by Rick Hashimoto of Record Technology and manufactured by TPC Plastics. Its noise floor is fathoms lower than any other vinyl we know of out there past or present. Records pressed with it look like normal black discs until you hold them up to the light and see that they are translucent and smoky, silvery gray in color. The near-perfect silence of SRX Vinyl virtually frees the music from groove noise and draws you further into the listening space, setting it in relief so distinct, full and spacious it’s nearly sculptural. You hear more of what’s on the original tapes, not only of the notes played on the instruments but the experience of the event itself. That's why we call it Silent Running Xperience.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  21. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

^ Thank you "keylime_5"! :righton:

keylime_5 likes this.
  22. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Awesome I love this it’s going sound like silky gold.

23. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

The new Lonnie Smith will be at my door tomorrow, yay! Think! has been one of my favorite discoveries in the BN80 releases, stone cold funky stuff. Mozambique was an instant pre-order after spinning that one.

Crazysteve likes this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

My Lonnie Smith arrived today from Amazon all beat up. Getting a replacement. I also received the reissue of ECM's first album, Mal Waldron's Free At Last. Sadly it has a pressing defect (some paper pressed into the vinyl). Now I have to wait for replacements coming Sunday/Monday.

25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Damn Lonnie at Club Mozambique is sounding lovely. I am hearing these live recording for the first time almost. Very happy indeed.
    They seemed to have reverted back to the annoying inner sleeves.

scotti and Greenalishi like this.