Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by riverrat, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Patience is a virtue if you want to save 30%. :whistle:

E.Baba and Mazzy like this.
  2. Yeah I don't think by 5000 plus LPs will be lonely anytime soon....

3. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

I waited for MMJ to press Juju in 33 for so long that I ended up giving up on it and purchasing the 45 for a whopping 80 bucks last week. Not the best stock market strategy, but oh well :laugh:

I’m very excited about it and no matter how it sounds I know I won’t be disappointed because I love the music, but I’m genuinely curious about the bad reviews. I first heard this album when I was 15 and it has never occurred to me there could be anything particularly wrong with either the tapes or the recording! I imagine that what people have disliked of this pressing has more to do with the style of mastering that was chosen by MMJ for that specific title more than ten years ago than with anything else. However, I’ll admit I was glad to read your reassessment of it because I was getting a little worried! I’ll make sure to let you guys know what I think of it once it finally finds its way into my home.

And sorry to speak MMJ in this thread. To make up for it I’ll compare my original stereo pressing of a Swingin’ Affair to the BN80, but we’ll have to wait for the end of the pandemic because I’m currently stuck 2000km away from my record collection!

mackeyse likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ive got the MMJ juju. It’s not the best sounding but it’s far from terrible. Everything is hyperbole in these threads so take things with a grain of salt. I was hoping for a 33 too, and probably spin it less than Nightdreamer or Speak No Evil because of that but just due to 33s being more convenient.

UchidaT, scotti, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Pairing a critique of hyperbole with hyperbole. *Chef's Kiss*

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

:laugh:
    Touche

UchidaT and Levi's Tubs like this.
  7. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

I would say the mastering is a little “polite”. Lacking a little intensity and low end that some of the other MMJ 45s have, but it’s very far from bad and the music is just phenomenal! This would be one to crank for a little more impact. Wouldn’t want to be without this version of Juju!

funknik, Cervelo, UchidaT and 2 others like this.
  8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I wouldn't want to be without any Wayne Shorter album at the highest quality possible. Best jazz arranger ever imo. Juju is fantastic and the MMJ is well worth it!

funknik, IanL, kt66brooklyn and 10 others like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Polite is an excellent word choice to describe that particular MM cut. But come on guys, its freaking Juju, prime Wayne Shorter Blue Note in quartet form, and it rocks.

Aura, gr8trak and DeRosa like this.
  10. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Sweet mother of Jesus this Bobbi Humphrey is incredible. I’m instantly transported back to the 70s. Shag carpeting, wood wall paneling and the mysterious important stereo equipment we weren’t allowed to touch in our friends’ parents’ rec room. I wasn’t really familiar with the Mizell brothers, but realize this is the background music we were growing up to back in Lansing, Michigan. Great pick by Joe and Co.

rxcory, kt66brooklyn, Radio and 7 others like this.
  11. Tomjazzer

Tomjazzer Active Member

Great purchase! I have both Art Blakey's, Kenny Dorham, Pete La Roca and Andrew Hill. Lazy Afternoon on Basra is utterly outstanding, Henderson really shines on that cut. The 2 Art Blakey's have Lee and Wayne so you know they are gonna be outstanding. You will be delighted when they arrive.

12. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Great choices. If I had to just pick 6, I would definitely have included Indestructible, Una Mas, Basra, and In 'N Out. Groovin' at Smalls' Paradise is the most underrated BN80, that is an essential live date from that era of Blue Note. The AAA Blakey reissues from 2019-20 all have increble SQ, such a big clear horn sound and booming drums.

kt66brooklyn and Dignan2000 like this.
  13. Tomjazzer

Tomjazzer Active Member

Agreed on the Blakey sound quality. Those two are superb by one of my favorite artists, anything with Blakey on it, I ll buy. The BN80 is a great collection, much better than the BN75......

14. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Getting the weekend started with Lee Morgan and The Rumproller.

Ivand, Levi's Tubs, Aura and 3 others like this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

LoveandTheft, Peterr, scotti and 4 others like this.
  16. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Does anyone have the Classic Records and BN80 of A Swingin' Affair? I have the Classic and was curious if there's been an a/b session yet?

I was bummed to hear Larry Young's Into Somethin' was postponed until June. Totally understandable of course. Does anyone else try and get their mail orders in before the summer heat hits or is that classic vinyl geek paranoia? :laugh::crazy:

17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I did a short review here...

Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues...any news?

18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I thought I would add a BN 80th title that I was missing from my collection as I am only at 27 titles so far. My local shop had some how gotten another RSD copy of Grant Green's "Funk In France" and priced it (still new) at only $46, so I wanted to get it for my oldest son as that is his favorite Jazz artist. And was thinking what a great time for me to get something for myself as well, why the heck not I said.

So I started to order "A Swingin" Affair" like I have almost done a few times now and then all of a sudden I was like what about "Alone Together". So I sampled just a small bit again and thought this might turn out to be a pleasant surprise. And when the owner of my local shop told me it would only be $25 for a 2-LP set, Dexter had to hop in the backseat once again. Picking it up this Thursday...

wgb113, mktracy, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  19. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

I personally love A Swingin’ Affair. Dexter Gordon is one of my favorite tenor players and this album is horribly underrated, probably because it’s seen as a more boring, straight ahead session during this fertile period of his, but I don’t think that’s fair. It definitely gets more playtime than Go in my house (Our Man in Paris being my favorite), which was recorded two days earlier with the same band. Instead of straight ahead, I would say it’s a more cohesive session than Go, and it has some of Dexter Gordon’s most magnificent playing. I never sprung for the Music Matters because I have an original and, whenever I was about to order the MM, I always ended up thinking I would play a 45 less than my original, but I preordered the BN80th as soon as I could. As I mentioned before, due to the pandemic, I haven’t been able to play the reissue yet, but it’s a great sounding record so I don’t see how this pressing, given the quality they’ve been putting out, could do anything wrong. Anyway, I guess what I’m trying to say, Scotti, is... just order this one already! You’ll love it.

Yeah, what’s up with all the negative reviews? I had never heard Groovin’ at Smalls before this reissue but I think it’s great! I would kill for them to reissue Volume 2. From what I’ve read online, people seem to hate this one musically. Love that version of My Funny Valentine! Maybe I’m missing something? Maybe my ear is not atuned to something that is horribly wrong in this recording?

99khan, rxcory, wellers73 and 4 others like this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I like the record and will eventually get it. It's just that I have have been trying to focus on MMJ titles right now and keep looking at the MMJ version of this record and not sure what version I want. Will be asking about this later on the MMJ thread for more advice.

By the way, I'm glad I got "Groovin' At Smalls"!

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

A bit late asking this, but for those that got "Alone Together" are you happy with it? I'm kind of having cold feet, all though I already ordered it.

22. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I really dig it. I knew a bit of Konitz's work but all from the 1950s. Didn't know what to expect, but got a great-sounding, enjoyable, mellow live date. Some folks were turned off by the fades, but it doesn't bug me.

scotti likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, would not bug me either and I do recall reading about that. More concerned about the actual music/performance and sound. Plus for $25, I think I did pretty good, plus I was looking for something a bit laid back/mellow. Appreciate your response!

Sometimes I will just take a chance on something (Jazz only) and more than not I end up happy with what I got.

AnalogJ likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Really good. Even my wife, not a jazz lover per se, commented that she liked it. The fadeouts kind of give me a sort of coitus interruptus sort of thing, but the lovely performances override the fadeouts quibble.

Kimiimacman, Dignan2000 and scotti like this.
  25. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

I wouldn't have bought it but it was given to me as a Christmas present. I found it a bit unusual at first but warmed up to it. The music is definitely interesting but I must say that the fadeouts are frustrating.
    This only real issue I have with it is that my copy is noisy and it's quite annoying during the quiet passages. Unfortunately, there are quite a few of them.
    If your copy is quiet, I think you'll enjoy it.

scotti likes this.