Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s a shame. I have a few of the records you mentioned and they are fine. But I purchased them a while ago, so I am sure you have different presses. Agree that it might be attributable to the pandemic and pressing plant operating at full capacity

Eamon likes this.
  2. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Soul Station and Moanin arrived Thursday from Bullmoose. Cleaned and spun both a couple times. They look and sound great all around. No issues here.

3. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Yes it is very unfortunate. Hopefully my luck gets better;)

NorthNY Mark, MikeJedi and Swann36 like this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Soul Station sounds really great. In fact I actually said "wow" on that first tenor note.

Two little pops on side one, but overall quite well pressed.

Dignan2000 and MikeJedi like this.
  5. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

In a lot of my own direct A/B comparisons of some of the Tone Poets I get the same conclusion. Wider soundstage, but sometimes (only sometimes) no improvement in tone or clarity or anything substantial.
    Wonder why the sound stage would be so squished on the CDs? Must be a conscious decision, not a limitation of the format right?

6. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I think that's what compression does... it squishes everything.... I've got CDs that have a big wide soundstage.... others not so much.... Definitely not the format at all...

uzn007 likes this.
  7. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

dang. just about done with a first spin of soul station and wouldn't ya know it: non-fill right at the end of side b.

should also note that the disc was rife with small hairlines and even finger prints. i wasn't too concerned about those. finger prints cleaned off in the initial wash.

geeze, what is the deal with optimal lately?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    TheSidewinder likes this.
  8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Just listening on my Macbook internal speaker, so take that for what it's worth--but I think I prefer sample one. I'm not so sure which I prefer before the horns come in, but when they do, they sound much richer and more distinct (that is, you feel that there are two very different instruments playing at the same time) than in sample two, where the trumpet dominates more and sounds less real to me.

timzigs and Tim1954 like this.
  9. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I'll be disappointed if I come to the same conclusions when mine arrives. The sense of space or clarity is not where I hope for an improvement; it's the more subtle details like harmonics and decay, and the intangible thing that keeps bringing you back to a recording, that seems to belong to vinyl more often than CD (in my experience, on my system, with my ears, etc) that I'm hoping for with this particular recording.

Briskit and NorthNY Mark like this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It's just how RVG did most of his remasters. Nothing at all to do with format.

11. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Received both Moanin’ and Soul Station today. Visually tons of micro-abrasions under light, more on side two than side one for each LP. Playing soon... uhhhh

12. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

And maybe it will for you. My circumstances is that I have limited space for more physical media and I have to make judgments about what I buy and what I keep. I already have the title on CD and the CD sounds really good. I love the album, though, and that's why I double-dipped. However, I don't find that the is much of an upgrade.

Nevertheless, I'm not advocating that vinyl-leaning people buy the CD instead, or saying that KG didn't do a good job with this one.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Dai and Coltrane811 like this.
  13. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

If the CD in question is an "RVG Edition," I believe Rudy is known to have purposely narrowed the soundstage on those. I don't recall his specific explanation (if he ever gave one), but I suspect it has something to do with his originally setting up the stereo spread as he did in order to make it easiest to fold down to a great mono mix, and the CD remastering gave him the opportunity to tweak the stereo to something closer to what he might have had in mind had stereo playback been his main concern at the time of recording.

For whatever reason, I've never enjoyed the sound of those remasterings--he gave everything a kind of distinctively metallic tonality that I find somewhat irritating, and the more narrow imaging doesn't help matters.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have the same, but it is in the trail off area. Is that what you mean or is it in the musical part of the record?

I only own one CD of the Blue Note Classic releases so far. It is a 1983 Japan CD of Somethin' Else. I compared it to the Blue Note Classic and it really wasn't close to my ears. Of course, the issue may be that the vinyl set up I was using probably costs 10X the cost of my CD player, so who knows. I think a lot of A/B results are system/equipment dependent, particularly when it comes to comparing CD to vinyl.

SoNineties and NorthNY Mark like this.
  15. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

My "Moanin'" is great - no issues.

My "Soul Station" sounds really great...
    until Side 2 / end of "Soul Station" and throughout "...Lose You"...non-fill.
    Bummer...just ordered replacement (Amazon...not due until 4/20...oh well)

First issue I've had with any BNTP, BN80, or BNC out of a few dozen titles...

16. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Moanin’ arrived this afternoon. It is flat and I cannot see any of the scratches others have on theirs, however it is a touch noisy which should disappear with a good cleaning. Other than that it sounds quite good and I am pleased. Looking forward to Soul Station being delivered on Tuesday.

17. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Moanin and soul station arrived two days ago. Soul station sounds really great, awesome to have this favorite in this version. Moanin Sounds good but not great imo

18. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I was just commenting on CDs in general... Yeah those RVG CDs....are not very good.... except for a few exceptions....

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Some are equating distortion with non-fill. Distortion can be caused by defects and wear. And can be the fault of misalignment etc.

Non-fill is very specific and is 100% a defect. It has a specific look to it. Some say a "strand of pearls". It has a distinct sound to it also. Which is a "zzzzzzip" kind of tearing or ripping noise.

Here is a pic of non-fill. If you are not seeing this to some degree under a light, then it isnt non-fill.

Wanna see some non-fill? - Bry - Vinyl Asylum

Reason Im yammering on about the difference is Ive noticed here lately some folks are interchanging the two terms. Now, yes non-fill can be a *type*of distortion but the reasons for describing distortion are usually not non-fill. They are due to mic overload on the recording, misalignment of the cart, IGD.

If one is hearing distortion that sounds like a zzzzziping noise then check the lp for the non-fill look. Sometimes its a very small section and has to be held at an angle under light to see. Sometimes its obvious.

If it aint there, then it may be distorted/defective sounding for another reason. Could be your cart alignment or stylus wear.

Just something to consider.

djwkyoto, Aegir, NorthNY Mark and 4 others like this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if non-fill is being used to describe any noisy pressing or distortion.

NorthNY Mark and mpayan like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I agree. Once you hear non-fill its very distinctive in sound and visually. It really sounds like nothing else as far as a lp goes.

NorthNY Mark and GentleSenator like this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Almost everyone who bought a Dylan Blood on the Tracks test pressing will know, though!

23. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

My copy of Soul Station arrived today and like others it is scuffed and dirty. I vacuum cleaned it before play and fortunately it plays perfectly and sounds great! The scuffing does not inspire confidence for future purchases, but at least these two new releases play well for me.

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's absolutely during the music. classic string of pearls and zipper sound. a pity because side A is perfect and the sound of this one is excellent to me.

mpayan likes this.
  25. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Received a replacement Moanin today. No woooshing sound so thats a win. Album sounds fantastic, really enjoying it. Its covered with micro scratches that dont seem to effect play. Its gotta be from these particular poly lined inners, no? They are all over the entire disc from edge thru the runout.