Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:biglaugh:

(You’re not wrong)

Sneezyachew likes this.
  2. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Some of my BN80s are quieter than some of my MMJs. I've never had to return a BN80 and I've had to ask MMJ for several replacements. I will admit that when the MMJs are good, they're the best. But everything comes at a cost and frankly, I welcome a cheaper, more readily available product that is also of high quality.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The problems seem to have dried up thankfully.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Me neither. What are we going to do in the interim?? :rant::shrug:

Sneezyachew likes this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

It's about time. After all 60-year tapes should be perfect and problem-free.

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

If you hate complaining why not say something positive?
    I for one am very excited about the series and will be filling quite a few holes.

7. Josquin des Prez

Lighten up. It was tongue-in-cheek (sort of).

But for what's it's worth I have spent plenty of time making positive contributions to such threads in the past.

I'm happy for the series. It's a great opportunity for those who missed out on the MMJ series, and it's pretty much an essential list of titles.

8. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Has there been any indication that the Tone Poet series is being extended?

9. brimuchmuze

Yes there were some interviews that said it could go on for years. They have already finished mastering for some 2021 releases.

riverrat likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Yes. It's confirmed for next year, and I think 2022 as well.

riverrat likes this.
  11. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Wow and flutter, etc. Tape Speed Issues - Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissue Series vinyl LP problems - part 7 page 49

astro70 likes this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Or is that part 49, page 7. :p

astro70 likes this.
  13. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

I, for one, am so glad for the 80th series, the tone poets, and the newly announced classic series. (I also own some Music Matters releases but they number in the single digits.)
    I am selling parts of my vinyl collection to keep up with these blue note releases because it’s all I listen to of late.

14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I played mine tonight too, it's bad. There's at least 7 in this series I want to upgrade from a 2008 Treasures of Blue Note or a 2014 BN75 pressing.

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I am excited about this reissue series too, but count me in with those who wish these could have nicer jackets too. These are such top titles they deserve the great packaging I would certainly be willing to pay more as well.

TheWarmth likes this.
  16. Mugrug12

Is that the one that came with a cd?

17. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Mugrug12 likes this.
  18. Mugrug12

I have an old copy of this but will be doubling up to have a mint one. His best album! And for this price...
    :righton:

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. brimuchmuze

This is great news.

Its good to see Blue Note re-claim their catalog in this way. Affordable and audiophile in a reasonable balance.

20. Josquin des Prez

I have the MMJ45. It's a Kevin Gray/Coherent remaster. The album is a gem of the BN catalog and KG did an ace job. I might get this one from the new series, as well as the Jimmy Smith and the Freddie Hubbard, just to have 33RPM versions. I generally prefer playing 33s, even if the 45s have the edge on SQ.

Otherwise, I have the old EMI/Pathe Marconi reissue of The Real McCoy, which I aquired when it came out. It's not terrible, but still a far cry from KG's version.

21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Even though i will buy probably all of these because i am new to jazz LP (been a cd guy forever but jazz on lp just makes sense and i finally have my setup going in our new house), im disappointed by the jacket choice.

i havent gotten any of the BN80, but have gotten about 8 Tone Poets recently and love the sound and presentation. I have a Freddie Hubbard bn80 coming tomorrow, but from what people say about the jacket ill probably be disappointed. I definitely think a tip ok jacket would be appropriate, doesnt have to be a gatefold like TP. The Gil Evans TP isnt a gatefold and is still wonderfunl.

but hey ill buy them all to have them since MMJ is out of price range.

mikemoon and MondoFanM like this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, BN uses cheap, thin jackets. The Stoughton tip-on jackets used by MMJ, TP, AP, etc. are expensive but I prefer them and am happy to pay a moderate premium for them, gatefold or not

tubesandvinyl, nosliw and miq2son like this.
  23. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I am so jealous of you getting to experience for the first time on vinyl. We moved to a “new” house 3 years ago but it just feels like a downgrade...and now we have two kids. Everyone is home because of Covid...little vinyl time. I have all the MMJ SRX and I just feel like a collector. Enjoy these!

24. brimuchmuze

I don't think the jackets are that bad really. The TPs take up a lot of shelf space.

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i will find out tomorrow when Hub-Tones arrives. And yes the gatefolds are chunky and truly unnecessary becaus they have just a couple extra pics. Id be perfectly happy with single pocket tip on jacket.

Jay Bob and Kimiimacman like this.