Blue Note SHM SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound_mind, Sep 8, 2017.

1. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Blue Note SHM SACDs to be released on the 22nd of November by Universal Music Japan

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else · UCGQ-9007
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' · UCGQ-9008
    Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage · UCGQ-9009
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin' · UCGQ-9010
    Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard · UCGQ-9011
    Lee Morgan - Sidewinder · UCGQ-9012
    Bud Powell - The Scene Changes · UCGQ-9013
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue · UCGQ-9014
    Hank Mobley - Dippin' · UCGQ-9015
    Lee Morgan - Candy · UCGQ-9016
    Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child · UCGQ-9017
    Horace Silver Quintet - Song for My Father · UCGQ-9018
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil · UCGQ-9019
    Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch · UCGQ-9020
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Night In Tunisia · UCGQ-9021
    Hank Mobley - Soul Station · UCGQ-9022

ジャズ | ユニバーサルミュージック - ジャズ | JAZZ - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN

dee, ispace, MagicAlex and 2 others like this.
  2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Oh no!

¥4,644 each.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Great to see that Blue Note/Universal Japan is releasing these on SACD. The only downside is that many of these titles were already released by APO and I most seriously doubt those will ever be topped in terms of sound quality. On the other hand, APO only did 50 titles and then they gave up, so here's hoping Universal Japan continues releasing these and we get a good diversity of titles.

art, grbl, Turmatic and 3 others like this.
  4. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Here we go again.....ca-ching ca-ching!

David Cunningham likes this.
  5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I'm sorry, but the first thought that popped into my head when I looked at that tired list of titles was :hurlleft:

fastskillfulinjured, DrJ and cds23 like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree, let's try new titles. But. . .the label/super label is thinking "what sells." And most of these titles habitually have.

The two that would tempt me are Speak Like a Child and the Sonny Rollins. To be honest I think these may sound amazing. I love the sound of the 75th anniversary SHM-CDs, in fact I prefer their sound to the basic sound of the Analogue Productions SACDs. (I may be the only one!) So I'm tempted. I bought all the mono Platinum SHM-CDs because they were mono and boy were they well done. . . . I'm less "flush" right now so I may not get any of these or just one or two.

sound_mind and dennis the menace like this.
  7. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

Interested in Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch.
    Has this ever been released in Hi-Rez?

8. rxcory

Yes.

I'm hoping for a better-sounding Song For My Father than the HDtracks.

9. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Isn't there some sort of problem with the master tape on that one?

dee likes this.
  10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

This is getting more and more ridiculous...I seriously begin to hate all things Blue Note, because big companies have accomplished to reduce an entire genre to just that: "Somethin' Else" and "Blue Train".

dee, DrJ and MagicAlex like this.
  11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Totally agree with you. A lot of those titles (including the Rollins) were released on Platinum SHM-CD last year, were not cheap but sounded great. Speak Like a Child is very tempting though...

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Are these SACDs sourced from the same Bernie Grundman high rez digital transfers that were utilized for the Japanese SHM CD series a few years ago?

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Single layer SACD or hybrid?

14. rxcory

Blue Note performed the massive undertaking of making 192/24 archival transfers of its entire catalogue several years ago. These transfers have since been used as the "master" source for everything from the Blue Note 75th Anniversary vinyl reissues, the XRCD24s, all of the hi-res versions found on HDtracks, ProStudioMasters and other outlets, and all of the Japanese reissue CDs from 2009 on, including the massive 5-series "The BN Masterworks" SHM-CDs and "Blue Note The Finest 1100" series. Yoshida or Grundman are credited with mastering some of these US releases for CD, hi-res, and vinyl, but the Japanese masterings are unique and quite different from those done by Yoshida, Grundman, Gray, and Hoffman.

The only projects I know of since 2009 that use the actual master tapes are the APO SACDs and vinyl, the Music Matters vinyl reissues and the Japanese Disk Union mono reissue LPs. I'm therefore wondering if these will be PCM 192/24 archival "masters" --> DSD. I have never read that Blue Note made DSD archive transfers at the same time it was doing the 192/24, but it would have been smart to do so.

Edit: nice avatar BTW!

mikeyt, doak, ispace and 3 others like this.
  15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

16. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

SHM-SACD are always single layer.

17. sound_mind

sound_mind Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I wonder if they'll have the same gatefold cardboard packaging as the 2010 SHM SACD releases.
    Some of them have bonus tracks.. similar to the 2013 Masterworks series
    It's a shame that the Mono versions were released on Platinum SHM rather than SACD
    Yes the same releases .. although not "Blue Train" ,, Maybe there will be a second series that includes that one LOL ;)
    The Masterworks "Blue Train" SHM-CD included a bonus track —Blue Train (Alt. Take 1)— that had never been released.
    (I'm not sure if the 2015 "High Fidelity Pure Audio" blu-ray included it as well)
    On the Masterworks "Cool Strutin'" SHM-CD there was a typo with "Royal Flash" rather than "Royal Flush" , hopefully they fix that.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Would it be so much to ask for mono/stereo packaged together? Best of both worlds.

ispace, DrJ, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  19. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Alas, you are correct. I just tried the code and it did not apply. I have pre-ordered with discount in the past though. Wishful thinking...

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not sure about Acoustic Sounds. But I preordered all of the upcoming Dire Straits MOFI SACDs from Music Direct awhile back and received a 20% sale discount. So if Acoustic Sounds doesn't allow preorder discounts try ordering them from Music Direct or Elusive Disc.

22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Along with Speak No Evil, those are the two that most interest me as well, and I'm optimistic on the sound upgrade too. If good source material exists for SNE, it could be "the" pick of the batch as it's the album I credit with igniting my obsession with Blue Note records. Anyway, I've preordered these three along with The Scene Changes from cdjapan, and if they're as good as I hope I'll be ordering a few more. Let's hope this batch has legs and the bulk of the catalog is released this way. Wish it would have happened 20 years ago.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've ended up pre-ordering from cdjapan Speak Like a Child, Live at the Village Vanguard, Out to Lunch and Speak No Evil. Here's hoping these sound great.

GregM likes this.
  24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Save some money for the mono SHM-SACDs as well...

25. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I already have a bunch of the Analogue Productions reissues....I wonder if these will use a different mastering.