Blue Öyster Cult- Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I will certainly poke my head in and have a look, but the only BOC song I know is Don't Fear The Reaper

2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Did not know about this release. I enjoy BÖC and have all their albums on vinyl and CD and heard they are working on a new album.
    Like that you are doing this thread and I’m looking forward to see what you and other members have to say. With that said carry on.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  3. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Everything from the debut to Fire of Unknown Origin is really strong work. Haven't heard anything after those albums, though. In a more just world they would be at least as successful as your Deep Purples and Black Sabbaths.

4. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I had no idea that this is the way B.O.C. began! Great stuff and I appreciate your hard work.

5. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

Huge BOC fan but never bought anything prior to their S/T. It appears their earliest recordings were either very limited or bootleg releases. There seems to be a decent number of BOC fans on this site. Maybe discussion will pick up when it is moved on to the better known material. I do appreciate the info on their early years, some of which I did not know. Still can’t figure out how to add the umlaut on Apple IPhone. Perhaps someone out there might know?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. Trace

Trace Senior Member

GoodKitty likes this.
  7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Agreed !!!
    the other day I asked a gort to put one in the thread title -- I see it's there now. :righton:
    Up the umlauts, everybody !! :pineapple:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  8. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

The BOC symbol is not a hook and cross symbol of Cronus, it’s an upside down question mark hanging on a cross.

Doggiedogma and GoodKitty like this.
  9. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Agreed

10. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

no youtube links so we can hear it ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I have this but haven't listened to it enough to give a detailed review. It is a very enjoyable set, a bit psychedelic and definitely feels like a precursor to the debut. A must have for any BOC fan, IMO.

12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Excellent idea.

Rockford & Roll and GoodKitty like this.
  13. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I've never heard this pre-B.O.C. album. Should I ever stumble upon a copy I'll certainly pick it up as I do like the band a lot.

Doggiedogma and vinyl diehard like this.
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Blue Öyster Cult - S/T
    Original issue

Classic first LP :edthumbs:

KankRat, DrZhivago, squittolo and 4 others like this.
  15. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

The first half dozen albums are so deeply burned into my brain that I actually find myself listening to St. Cecilia more than the main catalog.

GoodKitty likes this.
  16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I especially like his guitar solo on Arthur Comics.

Oyster Boy and vinyl diehard like this.
  17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I pull St. Cecilia out once in awhile. When I get into a BOC marathon.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I've never heard it, but there are four Soft White Underbelly tracks in the Columbia Box set:
    "Donovan's Monkey" – 3:49 instead of 3:44
    "What Is Quicksand? (demo) - 3:40, not mono"
    "A Fact About Sneakers (Demo)" 2:51
    "Betty Lou's Got a New Pair of Shoes" 2:33 - that one doesn't seem to be on St. Cecelia

19. Python

Python Forum Resident

Sorry just chiming in now, I've got #1,364 of this little gem...my favorites are probably "Donovan's Monkey" and "Arthur Comics" (which I'd managed to get a hold of on cassette many years prior on some Elektra compilation, I was such a BÖC fan at the time in high school that I spent what was a heck a lot of money at the time just for whatever multi-disc set that was just for the pre-ÖC song!)

Admit the lyrics are a bit more, shall we say, "esoteric," than subsequent BÖC lyrics, which could be pretty esoteric themselves! But I love it, would rather hear "I'm ever wondering: After I'm married, will I have to put up with a dope?" or "But with a shoeshine girl in a shoe-shining kit, get shoe shined, hey, hey, man, while you're watching some tit" over some trite radio love-song pablum.

Note that these songs are not "metallic" at all, much more jammy-Grateful Dead like (think "Then Came The Last Days Of May" or "She's As Beautiful As A Foot" rather than "Stairway To The Stars" or "Cities On Flame..."), but it's amazing how great Buck's solos sound even then, for such a young...(pardon me)...buck!

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm so sad that this thread is happening right now, I would really like to take part but I am super busy from early morning to late evenig every day this week, hope the thread moves slowly.

I love the St Cecilia album, I have the Rhino Handmade (not at home so can't check the number) and I also have the Radioactive "boot" (maybe it was semi-legal, not sure), would like to comment more in detail on it, but won't have time right now.

If it helps anyone, here it is on Spotify: St. Cecilia: The Elektra Recordings

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thank you thread! I did not know about St. Cecilia.

Doggiedogma, tinnox and vinyl diehard like this.
  22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm kind of shocked to hear that, Mark!

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I never got around to buying any of their albums, and in oz Reaper was all that got any airplay to the best of my knowledge... and to be honest I thought it was ok, but didn't really love it, so I just never went there.

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Get on a streamer and listen .

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Been getting into another big BOC kick right now, kicked off by having "Joan Crawford" come up on shuffle the other night. Love, love this band. I finally got the Bad Channels OST, "excited" to dig into that one further.

Despite all that, I still have never heard Heaven Forbid or Curse of the Hidden Mirror. Have never come across used copies in the wild and I'm certainly not paying $60+ for 'em online.