Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection: 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pigalle, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I get that. It just frustrates someone who actually collects records to listen to them.
    It's like collecting dinner plates with pictures on them. I never understood that either. If you want art, but a painting. If you want a plate, buy one to eat off of.

2. aoxomoxoa

Back to the music. I just managed to get my hands on the download. I haven't heard this version of Hollis Brown. I guess it's from a Westinghouse radio show? There's a banjo on it. Neat.
    Also, the last two sides are from Carnegie Hall '63, is that the remainder of the tracks that were not released a few years ago on the "EP"?

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

5. aoxomoxoa

Let's hope Amazon comes through. Stranger things have happened.

Does anyone know how many were pressed? Any way of finding out?
    It seems Sony is keeping this thing hush hush. I hope we aren't being roped!

6. stepeanut

Word is that Sony pressed 400 copies, though I have nothing official to back up that number. Seems like a reasonable guess; there certainly appear to be more copies knocking about than there were for the 1962 set.

My copy is due to be delivered tomorrow.

7. aoxomoxoa

I'm sure it will look nice in your bookshelf. :)

Tommyboy and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ordered.

9. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

10. aoxomoxoa

Looks like an error. There's a pretty good chance that some, if not all of us will get cancellation notices soon anyway.

11. aoxomoxoa

One thing I find odd also is that I see two release dates on Amazon. On my amazon app it says release date is Dec 9th and on the regular web page it says Dec 10th.

12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Amazon has cancelled at least 2 of my preorders within the last month due to being "unable to obtain" items. I, too, doubt if they will send any of these out.

13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Oh well. I won't be upset if my Amazon order gets cancelled. There are other ways to get this.....

14. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I decided to give it a shot!!

15. The following was posted by rekkidman on the Expecting Rain Discussions board:

I own a small record store in North Carolina and after seeing the previous post about the set being available from Amazon here in the states, I checked my two wholesale distributors and both have it listed for Tuesday. Experience tells me that it will be at least a week behind that date. I can tell you that one of my distributors has 80 ordered. I have ordered 5 but I feel safe in saying that I will probably only get 1 or 2. Needless to say, one will be mine. I find this to be great news! Sony has apparently saw the light and decided to let out more copies. I am thrilled that I will have the chance to own a proper copy!

Bill

aoxomoxoa and IronWaffle like this.
  16. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

just bought this 6 lp set in a shop in my town in denmark today.... I'm in Little doubt to break the seal and keep this set. I mean i am a Dylan fan, got all his lps and the bootlegs series on vinyl.
    Could anyone shed a Little light on this record -

Does it bring anything new, which makes it essential?
    How is the sound quality?

i would rather not break the seal, if it's not an essential recording, i could do without (sooooo much Dylan stuff already) - maybe keep it Sealed and use it to trade for some desired vinyl.
    help please

17. just open it up and play it already sheesh.... wish I had a copy

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

Right. Play the damn thing. The mp3s sound good. Best available versions.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. stepeanut

Anyone else noticed the difference in the colouring of the outer box in various online photographs? Some (most?) are pure white, while others have a beige tint. At first, I thought it was just poor quality, pre-release images, but the following was posted today on eBay:

[​IMG]

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This is very disappointing, though I guess it should have been expected. Instead of (unnecessarily) covering all their bases by emptying the studio vault as they did in the 1962 set, they apparently limited this set to material that already circulates. I guess the idea being that if it the physical tape is locked in a vault than they don't need to worry about the copyright extension. This is essentially a Dylan version of the old Zappa series "Beat The Boots" - nothing new (to my quick glance anyway), just an "official" version of stuff perhaps taken right from boots (surely Sony doesn't have the master of the McKenzie Tape).

22. aoxomoxoa

Yes but they DO have the masters to the studio takes and Carnegie hall which are worth the price of the set IMO.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  23. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It seems to me a no win situation. If I have correctly understood , Sony Records protects his copyright on the material already in wide circulation in the gray market, but nonethless it "loses" the recording copyright on his masters locked in his vaults. These still "unreleased" recordings can't be any more commercially protected in Europe. This situation looks bizarre and a bit absurd, at least for me.

Woelfman likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I assume their feeling is that they don't NEED to copyright protect "vault" recordings that have never circulated. For whatever reason (panic? Not being able to identify what "Freewheelin'" cuts were on bootlegs?), they felt differently 12 months ago. Grey marketeers can't exploit what they will never touch.

EDIT: I assume that EMI is NOT acting to protect the outtakes that circulate from the "Please Please Me" sessions. Not to mention a truckload of BBC radio material that the 4 legit CDs don't touch.

25. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Legally all these tapes are private property and as such protected by law like whatever else objects, but in Europe the sound recordings on these tapes have zero commercial value for the owner. Elapsed the fifty years,the recording companies don't retain anymore the recording copyrights on the unreleased recordings. So they have only an historical/documental value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.