Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection: 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pigalle, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Is there a comprehensive list of officially released Dylan material in chronological order of recording?

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I disagree. 50+ year old recordings of some guy we never heard of have "zero commercial value". Public domain Elvis Presley material issued in Europe seems to have quite a bit of commercial value.

Sony decides to protect Dylan material from meeting the "grey market" fate (after missing the boat on protecting 1961 and earlier material). Apple/EMI apparently made a half-hearted attempt to protect SOME 1963 Beatles material (hence "On The Air"), but next month I guess we can expect grey market discs with "Please Please Me"/"With the Beatles" outtakes.

3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

These're tapes deprived of the recording copyrights. Their immaterial value is gone, at least in Europe.The real value of the copyright is the exclusivity of the right of the owner against everyone.

4. These will become highly desired items on the collectors' market due to their limited nature and official status. I expect to see a fairly brisk trade on them from the usual suspects.

5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Sony's issuing of the 1962 collection last year and the 1963 collection this year does not seem to have slowed down the grey market people.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know I am jumping ahead, but what the hell... If Sony continues down this path on a yearly basis, will they have enough material for a 1964 set? Dylan only recorded one LP and I don't think there are many outtakes from the Another Side sessions. Any live shows other than what was issued for the Bootleg Series in the vaults? I know there is Newport '64 and possibly a show from Festival Hall?

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sure, there's more stuff. But it raises the question of whether they will "protect" poor quality audience tapes (like Philadelphia).

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are these "official" releases in optimal sound quality. ie: Can they release them as a sound upgrade sometime in the future?

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There are precious few outtakes from Another Side, and of course the important ones were already released. Which leaves us wit Denise, which is Bob trying different lyrics to the Black Crow Blues music, and two takes of I Shall Be Free #10. The first one is a disaster, and the second is a brief insert used to fix part of the album take. It is 8 minutes of totally innocuous outtakes. Can't they just skip ahead to '65? Lotta material there!

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. I think the recent changes to EU copyright law make future releases of this type unnecessary. Sony can thank the heavy lifting done by EMI and the Beatles.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Anyone get a shipping notice from Amazon?

12. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

The recent changes to EU copyright law don't apply to the unreleased, unpublished recordings.

13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I don't think anyone has -- have you? Mine still states "pre-ordered" with "Delivery estimate We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

14. aoxomoxoa

Same here.

15. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Does anyone here own a copy of last years volume one?

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I really don't expect to ever receive a shipping notice from Amazon but stranger things have happened, I suppose.

17. aoxomoxoa

I have a "copy" :)

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

No, unreleased material will still fall into the public domain. Only released material is now protected for longer (70 years).

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

1964 will make for a most underwhelming release, but '65 should be interesting. There are the entire sessions for Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited, plus the NYC sessions for Blonde On Blonde.

20. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

This is no longer available from Amazon in the US, but Amazon in Canada still has it available for pre-order for a total of $ 144.28 with shipping to the US. Amazon in Germany also has it available with an estimated delivery date to the US of December 21-28, but the total cost is about $228.

21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ordered!

22. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

23. aoxomoxoa

Thanks for posting. The Canadian price is much better. I will keep my orders open for both US & Canada just in case.

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The fact that amazon.ca has it listed as "available on december 10" seems a bit more promising to me, however keeping them both open is probably a good idea.

25. aoxomoxoa

Amazon in USA said that too, before they stopped taking preorders. If by some strange miracle I get two, I can always sell one here!

Mr. H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.