BOB DYLAN 50th Anniversary Collection 1970 3cd set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I would love to find a way to hear this. 1967-1973 is in my top 3 Dylan periods. Another Self Portrait is one of my most played CDs by him, definitely my second most played compilation of his.

Mrsharko, csnfan and Sean like this.
  2. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

Nope. I know that they ask for copies of the sales receipts. Again, potential evidence of ‘reasonable communication’.

Big Blue likes this.
  3. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

I bought two - from Badlands and a shop in France - I never believed I would get one in my hands and left both orders in place to cover myself incase one didn't get fulfilled. I was not trying to deprive someone else, and have never unsold for profit like others have on Discogs and eBay.

I am just a Dylan fan.

Dan33185, Man at C&A, cpatton and 4 others like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have always loved this period of Dylan studio recordings and am looking forward to having Alligator Man (which was at one time a potential track on Dylan the 73 album). Lots of stuff I am looking forward to hearing. Yep lots of issues with these type of releases. Me I'd have done a deluxe Dylan ( an expanded 73 album) as a normal limited edition.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

So that somebody else has a chance at getting one. It would never enter my mind to order more than one.

Daveymoore and Big Blue like this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Interesting... so simply having sold any copies at all is not sufficient? It needs to be sold to at least a certain number of people? :confused:

I’m not even all that interested in this particular set (though some of the track listing does look like things I wouldn’t mind hearing), but I have always been fascinated by this whole concept.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ve certainly done that, even with things that aren’t so limited. I’ve been screwed out of orders being fulfilled before, and if I really want something, I’ll hedge my bets and order from two places.

Even if you had purposely bought two, as a collector, with the intention of being able to trade one away, I don’t see a problem with that. For that matter, I don’t see a problem with anybody flipping one for a profit, either. That’s part of the world of collecting and limited editions.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Talk about the record company catering to the bootleg market!!!

primoridal_ooze and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

The keyword is “Reasonable”.

Although this particular law hasn’t been tested, there’s lots of cases that establish the idea of what’s ‘reasonable’ within law in lots of different circumstances.

Would it be ‘reasonable’ to just make this available to one person? I’d say if the requirement is to provide ‘reasonable communication’, then no, since mass media communication methods exist, and are not cost-prohibitive and there would be little to no obstacle to providing a wider communication that would appear, to the average person, to be more reasonable.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Given all the boots out there with studio-quality stuff, nothing is completely safe.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, and I actually could see it being a pretty easy workaround to arrange for one buyer to purchase all copies and then destroy them, so I guess selling to multiple buyers avoids suspicion of that sort of thing...

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Isn't that the truth. There was seller on Ebay that sold tons of the 50th anniversary collection 1969 boots. I heard that the quality was excellent too.

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

That was just cruel.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Man -- didn't get the email from Badlands at all. One of my favorite eras!

LeeGriffin likes this.
  15. Richard--W

I signed up at badlands and bought from them before.
    I receive their emails.
    Last email I received was three days ago Friday RSD.
    But I didn't receive this one.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I enjoy it very much as well.
    But it makes me sad too to realize what an incredible album ' Self Portrait ' could have been and should have been in 1970.
    It was the follow-up to ' Nashville Skyline ' and Dylan was heading in an interesting direction. ' Self Portrait ' had the potential to be amongst his finest albums.
    I never bought into that rap that Dylan released ' Self Portrait ' purposely as a slip-shod effort to drive away fans. Poppycock.

Next Year's Man likes this.
  17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I've been to that bootleg market. You're lucky to get a hotdog and a coffee!

JManPro likes this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the email from Badlands only went out to UK addresses this year. Did anyone outside UK get an email?

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I got last years but didn’t get an email from Badlands which is disappointing

LeeGriffin likes this.
  20. You know the reason they do these dumps so they can eventually release this stuff officially. Just not now for everyone. It all comes out eventually from the Dylan camp.

Sean and Big Blue like this.
  21. Richard--W

NO it does NOT all come out eventually.
    And "eventually" may not be in my lifetime, or yours'.

Somebody in the Dylan camp is a real jerk.

22. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

63 and 64 are not real - I am sure you know that.

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Nope. I lucked out last year and scored a copy of the 1969 Dylan dump, but didn't get an email from Badlands this time around.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

The problem is that these releases take the excitement out of a lot of the 'official' archive releases for some people on this forum.

I have never attempted to buy these copyright collection releases so have always been hopeful of a release of some of this material.

For example, I and others have speculated what could be released as part of the proposed Villager set which could include some of the material from the 1963 set. However several people have responded "yeah but they've already been released so I am not interested" despite the fact that the majority of people have not had an opportunity to hear these recordings.

This thinking has then created a perception in the Dylan camp that there isn't such a big appetite for a Villager release - The Source has specifically said this.

So although you would hope that they are extending the copyright for a future release, if they don't think there is a market for it based on the lukewarm reaction of fans then they may not bother.

25. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

This one is a must have for me, with the BD-GH material, and so much more.
    Love this period, and would enjoy hearing ''Father of Night''rehearsal a whole bunch.
    This one seems to have tons of unheard songs, and variations, etc..
    I have a few possible routes.. we'll see what happens.
    Good luck to all my fellow Bob cats. :righton:

Percy Song and stepeanut like this.