Bob Dylan (A fool such as I)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kollektionist, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently forked out the big bucks for a copy of this album on CD. What immediately struck me was the fact that Dylan's name on the spine was in a regular print, rather than in bold print as on hundreds of other Dylan and CBS cd's I have. Also, it is in a slightly different font, distinguishable by the 'O' which looks more like '0' on all other cd's but 'O' on this particular cd.
    Other than that it looks to be the real deal but I can't help having my doubts about this bit.
    Anybody else have this baby on CD ? Any comments ?

2. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Forum Resident

I think this one is a bootleg sourced from a cassette of the 1973 'Dylan' album. It's never been officially released on CD and the original record isn't exactly an 'authorised' Dylan, despite being released by Columbia.

3. You sure about that, I am pretty positive there was a brief pressing of an authentic CD outside of the U.S. in the 80's. It sells for big bucks. There is a European bootleg currently being sold, sourced from a needledrop that has tacked on some bonus tracks that have little to do with the album.

4. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Forum Resident

Yeah, on further investigation looks like your right.

5. Not true.

Japanese release SRCS 6163.

Mine still has the OBI strip!:thumbsup:

6. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

Is this CD titled 'Dylan' like the original LP or 'a Fool Such as I' like the original posters?

Was the album originally released primarily to punish Dylan for leaving the label, to screw Geffen (create consumer confusion and cut into 'Planet Waves sales) , or for another reason?

7. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I have that european CD pressing that's been out of print for many years by now! Since it's never been one of Dylans most popular albums, its hard to find.

8. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

No, this was briefly released on CD here in the UK. I bought mine in a regular store for budget price. It still has a "Dylan Originals 30 Years On Columbia Nice Price" sticker on the front. Even the sticker has a code: 11-052458-40. I never knew it was rare until a few years ago.

My copy has CD32286 on disc and spine. Matrix 01-032286-10 11 A1. It also has a red tray.

It's really valuable then?

9. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Quite valuble. Here's an ebay auction that ended in August 2011.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bob-Dylan-Fool-such-us-c-1973-RARE-ORG-OOP-CD-/250872780807

10. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

It has been oficially released by CBS on CD - I am 100% sure. The shops were flooded with it in the late eighties here in Europe. It was sold in their NICE PRICE range, with the cheap-looking red spines.
    Never picked one up, if I had picked up some of them I'd be able to pay the rest of our mortgage -insane prices today!

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the cheap one.

But what I find interesting is, the LP I've had I wasn't all that....hyper to look for and I got it cheap then.

It's not a great record, but it's worth spinning.

12. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Ballad of Ira Hayes is a favorite and reason enough to buy this but it should be one of your last Dylan purchases I think. I found the LP very cheap.

13. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

I bought this CD at Schiphol Airport at a music store during a layover on my way to India in 1997. It was a legit pressing.

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I bought my copy in the import section at Hastings in Fayetteville in the mid-90's. Looks legit to me.

15. kollektionist

It's definitely a legit release (in Japan & Europe). The Expecting Rain website has some pix and info. The picture they have of the EU back insert is exactly the same as mine. But strangely enough, in spite of all the info that is there, they don't mention the print as described in my first post. Which just makes me wonder. I mean, I have hundreds and hundreds of European Columbia CD's but not one has the printing on the spine like this Dylan. What's up with that ?

I see several people also have this CD. Is the printing on your copies the same as mine ?

16. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

I can't imagine why any one would spend big bucks on this CD when it's so easy to find a vinyl copy for like three bucks. And, of course, it's often regarded as Dylan's worst-ever album (Columbia owned these scraps and left-overs, and released them as a final cash-grab after Dylan briefly left the label for Asylum).

17. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Jusy picked up a sealed LP copy for $10.00. It has it`s moments but I wouldn`t say it was worth any more.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That's the one I've got, circa 1989 or so, and I'm glad I've got it. I love some of the songs on that album.

20. kollektionist

I rate it much higher than for instance World gone wrong or Good as I been to you or Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. But that's just me. To each his own.
    Just like it is a personal choice to spend money on this cd. I like the music and it's an addition to my kollektion. At least it gets played which is more than I can say of hundreds of other cd's I have gathering dust...

Oops...that's the site I meant instead of Expecting Rain. But as you can see, it does not give any details on the unusual printing.

21. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

Can you scan and post it?

22. DagB

DagB Forum Resident

Details of my copy, purchased almost 20 years ago in Norway:

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      18.5 KB
      Views:
    • 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  23. SAPCOR1

SAPCOR1 Forum Resident

Available in the UK on CD for a short while as stated above.

It was (is?) also available on iTunes when the Dylan campaign was in full swing in the UK at least

24. kollektionist

My copy looks exactly the same as DagB's. Also note that the font of the album title is slightly bolder than on other cd's.

[​IMG]

25. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Thanks for the info! I just scored a European copy of this CD for $20 on the Amazon marketplace. I feared for a moment it was a boot but your link confirmed I had the real deal.

Cheers,
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.