Bob Dylan Album-by-Album/Song-by-Song 1963-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Komakino___, Apr 27, 2023.

1. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Down The Highway is a decent filler song but is far overshadowed by the other brilliant songs on this album. 2.5/5

2. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

Love Masters of War. Live acoustic version at Hiroshima in 1994 is really good.

DmitriKaramazov and Komakino___ like this.
  3. Komakino___

Komakino___ It's tiring, roaming these halls... Thread Starter

I'll check that one out, I am being careful so far with discussing some of the later live versions of a couple of these tracks as that is a rabbit hole of which I may never emerge with so many stellar performances throughout his career.

4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Down the Highway - Always felt unfinished to me. Any of the four rare tracks would have been a good replacement for this.

5. Komakino___

Today's Song:

Bob Dylan's Blues

"Bob Dylan's Blues" is a song written and performed by the American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, that was first released as the fifth track on his 1963 album, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

Three takes were laid down however ultimately the first was chosen. A demo for the Witmark publishing company was also laid down.

Willie McTell and Library Eye like this.
  6. Komakino___

Bob Dylan's Blues

I am not a massive fan of this track, I like the little intro monologue and the lyric is vaguely amusing however I find the song to be a little too uh..."Woody Guthrie" if you get what I am saying and as we have already seen he has moved far passed these pale imitations of his musical hero, I find it interesting he never did this one live at the time as it would have fit his repetoire.

2.5/5

7. Komakino___

Here is the witmark publishing demo, I have not posted them for any songs as of yet as they are not vastly different from the released versions much like the alt takes from this era, however this one is somewhat interesting in its delivery:

Willie McTell and Library Eye like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He never did it live because he knew it wasn't that good or that interesting a song. He had better.

Komakino___ likes this.
  9. Komakino___

Maybe so, I was/am perfectly prepared to get a slating for rating this song so low as I always thought this one was looked upon well.

10. Wildest cat from montana

'Freewheelin' Bob Dylan ' was originally going to be titled 'Bob Dylan's Blues' which would have made this mediocre song the title track.
    Glad that didn't happen.

11. Komakino___

Yes, I had read that while browsing Expectingrain and was rather baffled that was even in consideration for a title track.

12. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

The guitar on this is so out of tune I find it hard to listen to.

13. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

A lot of his then current live act represented here I think. Some of these "weaker" tunes might have worked there. Some great tunes, indications of things to come, but I don't remember the last time I played the whole album. Other than (to me) obvious classics, the album's value is historical.

14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Freewheelin' and "folk" Dylan are my favorite Dylan. The lyrics are deep, beautiful, and straight-forward, which is something I miss in later Dylan.

1. Blowin' in the Wind - 5 (Probably still the greatest song he ever wrote)
    2. Girl From The North Country - 5 (My favorite song on the album - beautiful. Favorite line: See for me if her hair's hanging down. It curls and falls all down her breast. See for me that her hair's hanging down. That's the way I remember her best)
    3. Masters of War - 4 (Powerful)
    4. Down the Highway - 2
    5. Bob Dylan's Blues - 2 (I would have included some of the outtakes instead of some chosen tracks - blasphemy I know)

15. Komakino___

It is always nice to have different perspectives as folk is my least favourite Dylan era, I imagine my three favourite eras (first two mostly) of Dylan are not the most universally loved though I am sure it'll make for interesting conversation when we get to them as it goes for me:

1. Christian Era

2. Country Era

3. 60s trilogy (a distant third)

16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

That's interesting. I tend to prefer his more "imagery-laden" (bad word, but you know what I mean) later 60s work, which to me also benefits greatly with a full band behind him. Personal preference of course, All good, All Dylan.

17. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Fascinating to me of course, loving the thread Komaminko.

"3. 60s trilogy (a distant third)" Wow. Above all others for me. Just out of curiosity, were you "there" mid-60s ?

Library Eye likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

There are many outtakes for this album to be sure but I don't find them overly better than what was released really.
    Maybe there could have been a couple of substitutions.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Luke The Drifter likes this.
  19. Komakino___

If you are asking my age then no I wasn't around back then (my father was still two years away from being born then to give some perspective) I am only about the age Dylan was when he wrote this album currently.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Willie McTell, highway and Amnion like this.
  20. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I was asking.. LOL. I'm 71. It is fascinating to me, and I love talking to younger Dylan fans. Better get back OT, but again this thread should be a great one. :tiphat:

DmitriKaramazov and Komakino___ like this.
  21. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

This one's fun; the opening jab at professional songwriters is the most amusing lyric, doesn't really come off as particularly mean-spirited. I like the energy of the performance, and a line or two mebbe presage his more imaginative or surreal steps ahead; Watch out so you don’t step on me

Come to think of it, I just took a walk around the block.
    I don’t have no sports car
    And I don’t even care to have one

3.999/5

Komakino___ likes this.
  22. Komakino___

Ha, it might also surprise you to know from that list I am not Religious nor do I like Country music.

Amnion likes this.
  23. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's Blues

I get that this is considered an all-time classic album, but I'm simply much more inclined to his work that transcends straight folk. I don't know what to make of "BDB", it's silly and shallow, and not something I'd ever seek out. 2/5

24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I might not be so savage.. LOL, but yes. I mentioned before the veneration (for me) is mostly historical.

25. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Bob Dylan's Blues - I guess I see this as comic relief presented as a contrast to the heavier themes on this album. I remember enjoying it the first few times I heard it but it grows old quickly. The album could certainly do without it but it doesn't ruin it. Two 2.5s/5 in a row for me but that will change dramatically on the next song.