Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

MoFi did not correct the speed on various tracks. That was a missed opportunity, in my opinion.

Regarding your vague memory of issues with the half-speed process on the CBS Half-Speed Master of Blood on the Tracks, I'm not aware of any issues on this album. Depending on how vague your memory might be, may I suggest there was an issue with the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here CBS Half-Speed Master. It was identified, corrected and subsequently reissued. I'm not aware of any problems with the CBS Half-Speed Master on Blood on the Tracks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    James_S888 likes this.
  2. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think so too, real missed opportunity. and the best opportunity to correct it missed. IMO. This was not some "artistic decision", as I understand it, it was a mistake, pure and simple at the original mix or mastering stage.
    So it's a mistake, so fix it. Like was done with Kind of Blue.

I would have to look back at the half speed. But there is something funky with the sound on that one.

3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

IMO this reissue is apprpriately true to the original release.

DavidD and James Bennett like this.
  4. BTBaboon

BTBaboon Active Member

This finally arrived last week from my Amazon pre-order (never going with them again for a One-Step, even if they go back to listing them at the actual MSRP). Took nearly a full month post-release for it to arrive despite plenty of copies still in stock. Anyways, enough about that...

Oh my word this thing sounds nice! This is the best iteration of the album, to my ears; that includes having also previously had the standard 1LP MoFi, a Columbia Half-Speed, and an original 2A/2AA. It is hands down my favorite Bob Dylan album, so I know it very well. Spinning it for the first time wasn't exactly "like hearing it for the first time" type of an experience, but it really wasn't far off. It's far more clear than the previously MFSL version, and has immaculate separation.

This is my second UD1S (the first being Simon/Garfunkel BoTW), and I've been really impressed with each. Definitely worth grabbing if you love the album and have the cash to spare. These are definitely pricey, and I do wish they'd return the price point to $100, but they've done a very nice job with these and they're among the best sounding titles in my collection.

DavidD, TDurden, ted321 and 2 others like this.
  5. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I can agree with this assessment. I have exactly the same three copies to compare to the Ultra-Disc. The 45rpm does what it's supposed to, the SRX/SuperVinyl does what it's supposed to, and the mastering job is very good. "Not exactly like hearing it for the first time" is a perfect way to put it. The organ is beautifully rendered, as is Dylan's voice, and the bass shines incredible on the SRX/SuperVinyl records that I've heard. Spatially it's just on a whole other level than previous editions; it's bigger, meatier, and altogether a more engaging listen than the other three. BUT, there is something about the cohesive sound of the MOFI 33, original 2A/2AA, and the Columbia half-speed that will have me going back to them from time to time.

A worthy purchase, but bummed about the packaging and the condition of my records: one had a baked-in piece of white on one disc, and the other disc has a not-so-slight warp. Waiting for replacements while we speak...and I am not someone who returns vinyl but once a year. As people have said over and over: for $125 that just can't happen!

6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

[​IMG]

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Perhaps... Vinyl production will always be a bit of a crapshoot. Still, the issue with the sleeves took too long to correct.

As an aside, I wonder about the error rate of the ERC records that retail for $350 per record, and cut at 33?

8. Echoes Myron

Classic said BOTW not BOTT. :)

Beauty pic though.

apple-richard likes this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

:biglaugh:

10. apple-richard

I know. I was showing the Bob with the new vinyl. As opposed to the S&G old vinyl. Guess I should have been as clear as the vinyl I posted. :winkgrin:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Got it!

And definitely agree the S&G would have been even more awesome with the SRX vinyl. I think the new formula definitely has a lower noise floor, which helps with the 45 RPM format.

MisterBritt and apple-richard like this.
  12. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

A quick note on the inner jackets...I received my copy of Monk’s Dream today and they have changed the texture of the inner jackets from that shiny, somewhat slippery finish to a matte black finish, very much like the outer box. Mine were pristine upon arrival. Hopefully that will put the rubbing marks problem to bed going forward on future releases...hopefully :)

Dmann201, AnalogJ and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. Alf Panek

Alf Panek Forum Resident

so why does this look blue? I think I missed something.

14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Looks like it got tangled up!

Apologies :)

Geordiepete, Pancat, jlf and 3 others like this.
  15. apple-richard

Virgin vinyl I suppose. When I was cleaning it I noticed I could see my fingers through the record. I held it up to the light and that's what showed up. Reminds me of those Quiex II A&M albums from the 80s.

MisterBritt and TDurden like this.
  16. TDurden

TDurden Forum Resident

It has to do with the type of light. If I hold mine up in front of a fluorescent or other high temp light it looks blue, if I hold up in front of a lower temp light it looks more brown/gray. It is definitely translucent, as the Super Vinyl description states. Kind of cool, I think. Reminds me of the old JVC Virgin Vinyl MoFi pressings from back in the 70’s and early 80’s :righton:

Alf Panek and MisterBritt like this.
  17. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I got mine today from Amazon. #5910. Unfortunately, both inner sleeves are split on the bottom and there are several seconds of loud popping on track two. Otherwise, the pressing sounds great. I'll request a replacement copy and return this one to Amazon.

18. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

I recently received my copy and wanted to post my thoughts on this release.

I have owned the MoFI 33 RPM version for ages & always thought the mastering team did an excellent job given the slightly longer than usual playing sides for the 33 RPM format. IMO, the 45 RPM is nicer still - I noticed improved transparency and slightly better definition of instruments within the soundstage. At times, the 45 RPM mastering appeared a bit too 'upfront' as compared to the more 'relaxed' presentation of the 33 RPM release - not sure if that's a result of the different speeds, the one-step process, the mastering approach, or a combination thereof.

I wouldn't say the 45 blows the 33 out of the water, and I'd be wary of anyone purporting such statements, but I think it does offer some nice improvements on what was already an excellent release. Unfortunately, my copy arrived with split seams like the post above. Probably not worth returning in my case (given I'm not in the US), but it is disappointing.

Anyway, here are a couple of 24/96 needle drops of the first track with the following lineage: Goldring 1042>Pioneer PLX-1000>Primare R32>Apogee Duet. Remember, these needle drops are only a broad facsimile of what the records sound like on my system.

33 RPM
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8ka61b8d5jwwgn/Tangled Up in Blue MoFI 33.flac?dl=0

45 RPM
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/usmmzlpyjs19z3g/Tangled Up in Blue MoFI 45.flac?dl=0

[​IMG]

jgrillo, dylan1974 and DavidD like this.
  19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Thanks, Yoda.

iloveguitars likes this.
  20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

This is the email response I received from MoFi CS. Unparalleled service!

"We do apologize for any frustration. As much as we would like to, we are simply too small of a company to handle all Mobile Fidelity returns and exchanges from all of our worldwide vendors. This is a standard policy for many retail industries and one that we do believe is fair. In the future if you were to purchase all of your Mobile Fidelity products direct from Mobile Fidelity or our sister company Music Direct, we can be much more helpful with any problems you run into."

It should be noted that I did not ask for a return or an exchange. I simply asked if there were replacement sleeves available. It would be one thing if this was a dinged corner on a sloppy Amazon shipment, but these seam splits are clearly from original MoFi packing. What a crock.

21. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Similar to what I received earlier this year.

But even overseas customers buying direct are left frustrated by the "more helpful" approach.

And I'll say again, at these price points there should be a policy that does cover these defects for ALL customers.

But I care less as I no longer buy records from MoFi ( or anything else for that matter), if I have / had any expectation it was to be treated fairly as a customer.

bloodlemons likes this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’m gonna stick with my mofi 33. The 45 rpm frequency of flips gets old. I often decide against the 45 rpms that I own so I can listen to full “sides” instead so they go un listened to

23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Except, some audiophiles are seeking Sound Perfection - and not necessarily Music Fulfillment...

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My favorite Dylan album...but no. For me to spend that much, it would have to be an album where I never skip a single track, ever. I've never liked the official version of "If You See Her Say Hello".
    Sound quality isn't really the point with Dylan anyway.

25. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Just one opinion here, the One Step 45 I hear as clearly superior to the mofi 33, but..... it’s really hard to “unhear” the speed corrected CBS half speed version which truly sounds like the actual human being Bob Dylan not to mention all the 2% sped up sounding guitars, bass and drums always sounding weird to me.... not faulting mofi at all they did a terrific job with both releases but I’m glad there’s at least one pretty well done vinyl release of the recording at its original speed

jgrillo and Fractured like this.