Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (Mofi Ultradisc One-Step 45rpm 2LP vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DotKom11, May 15, 2019.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'll bet you a BOTT one-step they don't. ;)

Johan1880 likes this.
  2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I wonder why they would remaster this one being as though they just recently remastered it in the normal MFSL format. I really wish MFSL would start remastering some more modern records. Something like Radiohead's OK Computer would be amazing on a one-step record.

A6mzero and Tejas Mehta like this.
  3. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It really wouldn't. It's far from a sonic wonder with how it was recorded (I say that as a huge fan - saw them twice in Toronto last year, incredible!!).

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Isn't it the job of remastering there to correct that problem?

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Remastering can't fix a poorly recorded album. You have to have something to work with.

6. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I just checked my Music Direct account to confirm that I pre-ordered my copy waaaaaay back in December 2017. It was still $99 back then.

Firehead and CBackley like this.
  7. AAAudio1996

AAAudio1996 Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm if this is AAA? I’ve never owned a mfsl before and I don’t understand how they remaster there records one bit.

I have many other records by audiophile labels, ones I know that do AAA audiophile reissues such as analogue productions, speakers corner, intervention records & music matters etc... but I understand how these guys remaster their records, they stay true to whats on the original tape and ensure a high quality AAA release.

I feel that mfsl tweek and change the recording slightly even remix, is this true? I’d appreciate if someone could explain their remastering process? And how does their one steps compare to AP’s UHQR jimi?

Alex

8. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Does the CBS half-speed come close to the MoFi 33?

9. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

I said no, but I have since preordered. I don’t even like Dylan, but these one steps sound so good, I may grow to love it. Hi, I’m Jemspeed and I have a problem.

Echoes Myron and SoundDoctor like this.
  10. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

As much as I love the songs on here, I far prefer the NY test pressing version of BOTT along with More Blood, More Tracks. The released album with the Sound 80 sessions is a very compressed mix, and I don't think it's worth $125. Since I have the NY test pressing version and MBMT, I think I'm set for now. Also, Sony is releasing a $20 BOTT released version this summer, from digital obviously. I hope it's cut at SST and pressed at MPO. I'd be more than happy to settle for that and buy some Music Matters LPs instead of $125 for the BOTT UD1S.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

All analog

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

<sigh>

Changed my vote to “Yes”.

mpayan likes this.
  13. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Pre-ordered.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I much prefer the CBS Half-Speed Mastered to the MoFi 33. Indeed, I sold my MoFi 33 when I realized that (for me) the CBS was a much better presentation.

We don't know. Several months ago, encourage by others on this forum, I sent a correspondence to MoFi in hopes they would forward it to the engineers beseeching them maintain the original speed but it's all quien sabe at this point. A few months back there was some discussion about it on the omnibus MoFi One Step thread. Opinions as to preference were split. I don't profess to speak for anyone but myself, but to my memory, no one who had heard the "correct" (CBS half-speed mastered) version preferred the speeded-up version.

I don't doubt there's a maverick out there who prefers the speeded up version. Sometimes you feel like a nut .... Hee haw. They often present their arguments with language like, "what the artist intended" or "what the artist" approved. Well, after the infamous Miles Davis Kind of Blue tape speed issues, I take that with a grain of salt. I applaud MoFi (and others) for recognizing that issue and correcting it. Blood on the Tracks is so much better at the speed, pitch, etc. at which it was recorded.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Fractured, dminches and Richard--W like this.
  15. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Well, thanks for trying to contact them.

I agree Blood on the Tracks is so much better at the speed at which it was recorded.

The Columbia Half-Speed Mastered is the definitive edition. It's perfect. Beyond criticism.

jgrillo and MisterBritt like this.
  16. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

What’s the catalog number for the CBS Half-Speed?

17. Richard--W

Columbia ‎– HC 43235

CBackley likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The combination of the MFSL, the More Blood, More Tracks box and LP, and the RSD Test Pressing on top of the original LP and the Columbia SACD and miscellaneous outtakes being in heavy rotation for decades has put me right on the edge of burn-out on these songs. That's not a statement about my love for this album, but nothing, not even a unprecedentedly deeper and truer hi-fi rendition, is going to make this music fresh and new to my currently BOTT-oversaturated brain.

So, no.

James Bennett likes this.
  19. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

No. Quite pleased with my original US Columbia pressing, and will happily save the funds for future One-Steps or other high quality reissues.

20. Richard--W

Yes. I'm buying it. It will probably improve on the Columbia Half-Speed.

FashionBoy likes this.
  21. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

No. I recently purchased a sealed copy of the MFSL 33. Whilst it has a couple of small scratches it does sound terrific! I’m sure the new One Step will sound better but it’s going to be well over $200NZD here, that’s just too pricy for me to justify. I’m happy with my near flawless EU RSD test pressing copy and intend to pick up the More Blood on vinyl in the near future. I pretty sure I’ll have all the Blood I need without this release. I was tempted tho’!

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re both partially right.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This - or some variable of it - has to be the most repeated non-Beatle question/wish on the forum. MFSL would do “more modern” stuff if they could at a profitable price point. They’re either unobtainium, too expensive or won’t sell.

And by “more modern”, don’t you really mean “not as old” when you’re talking about an album released before today’s college kids were even born? Or about as old now as Blood On The Tracks was then.

24. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

They do offer Pixies which is fairly modern in my book.
    I'd love for MOFI to release Nirvana's studio albums. But I have read ORGM releases are pretty awesome for Nevermind and incestiside.

25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I don't think there's much more to uncover from those than what already has been. Many more albums are in much more desperate need of the MFSL love.