Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 12 "The Cutting Edge" - Pricing Complaints*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Socrates, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't want to interrupt the love-fest over on the other thread. And I'm not serving any Kool-Aid on this thread either. I would just like to say that the price is outrageous, for the 18 CD set. Let it be known that the price is too much. It's insulting to fans who have paid up plenty over the years.

2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

How much is it?

3. Socrates

Don't all rush to post at once... This thread would've been better suited, had I started it two days ago. I'm getting kind of tired of complaining now myself....

Let it be known that I have complained, here on this thread. This is my officially issued complaint on the matter... right here, on the complaint thread....

Buddhahat, Jimmy B. and Erik B. like this.
  4. Socrates

$600.00 for 18 CDs of snippets.

mooseman likes this.
  5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

It's too cheap. It should be at least $800.

6. Socrates

:rolleyes: Don't give them any ideas for the next volume.

Imagine70 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

It averages over $3O a cd? The consumer gers roped in with the supersize book, bells that don't chime and whitsles that don't alert. These kinds of release are too much about the package imo. Perhaps down the road there will be something akin to an old Naxos label like budget box release lol with 18 cd's in slim line cases and a few pieces of paper of track notes folded into a square for half the price ;)

8. Socrates

Thank you, dee.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

Hah. :)

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It would be one thing if the 18 CDs contained 30 or 40 "new" songs and at least a few CDs worth of live material. It would still be high on a price "per-disc" basis, but perhaps justifiable as a whole package. But as it's mostly snippets, the fact that I can't afford this box even if I wanted it, is easier to swallow.

Socrates likes this.
  11. Socrates

That's a good point, Joe. I could deal with paying for the vinyl set and CD #18, plus some other songs scattered throughout the collector's edition.

12. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

As much as I like Dylan you would have to pay me $600 to listen to 18 CDs of outtakes.

timnor, milankey, ody530 and 18 others like this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

14. Baby boomer acts charge a premium for concert tickets because a lot of their audience is affluent enough to pay it.The business has been trying to work out how to Make this premium pricing work in released music.The Dylan and the Dead boxes are examples of how they will do this.I would complain if there weren't smaller versions reasonably priced.However I still think the 6 disc Dylan set is $50 more than I would pay for a 6 disc set.

Erik B. likes this.
  15. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Waaaaay too expensive. I can't afford it. I'd probably only listen to it once.

I thought it'd be 300, 400 tops.

I bought it without hesitation.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lordy..:rolleyes:

17. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

Before the announcement, I thought the price would be in the $300 to $400 range. Not cheap, but not $600 either. Hopefully, when considering future multi-disc sets, Sony will price them more reasonably. The Grateful Dead 30 Trips box is $700, but contains 80 discs.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

Interesting. I can see a few GD fans talking together and even pitching in a few hundred each to share portions of such an extensive set. "Okay, yeah I'm going to take the next month listening to cd-s 1-20 while my friend is listening to discs 20-40" etc.."

Olompali likes this.
  19. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Choo goddit mane

dee and Erik B. like this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

They should probably sell it for much less and just take a loss. Lord knows that there are masses lining up to hear every little snort and fart that Bob makes over 18 ceedees. Why worry about taking a hit on unsold product? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  21. Socrates

I think they could have sold 10,000 of the collector's sets at $300.00 a piece. But anyway, complaints are usually good for like two days on the internet. I'm about out of complaining energy. I don't even want most of the snippets. There's just some choice stuff I'd like to hear from the collector's set. So yeah, I'm slipping into complaint mod again. I thought I was all done....

22. Socrates

Cancel this thread....

notesfrom likes this.
  23. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I really want this, but, money, yeah, so I am going to wait until Sony Classic ALbums release the 18 discs in a paperboard box for $29.95. :)

24. Socrates

You have a point there. But all I'm saying is let's give Bob credit for making his own business decisions.

People are acting like he has alzheimer's or something. Really, he can put together his own deals. He's not being dictated to by Sony and his manager.

Imagine70 likes this.
  25. Socrates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.