Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Personally, I would hardly call a minor speed variation on a bootleg a "version". If you have the ears to notice a 1% change you are a better listener than I.

3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

He did Simple Twist Of Fate for the John Hammond tribute with would be more than a year later. I think he used a capo on his Martin 00-21 (NY?) for that show but probably wasn't open tuned to do Oh Sister and Hurricane. With editing....who knows? He might have re-tuned in between songs. I don't know if he did more than those 3 songs.

I wonder what acoustic guitar(s) Dylan was using for BOTT era? It sounds like a smaller body but I'd have to listen closer to pick out if it's rosewood or mahogany or other. The Martin 00-21 which maybe is really a 00-21 NY due to the enlarged pick guard that looks to be an add on, larger in size than a normal 00-21 pg. IIRC, NY's may have come without any pg from the factory. That's the guitar you see a bunch on Desire/Rolling
    Thunder era on stage, studio,Kerouacs grave with Ginsberg,etc.. He used a bunch of guitars on the Rolling Thunder though Martin D-41 and D-28,Gibson LG,and others I can't recall. Anyway,my romantic vision of
    what he used on BOTT would be the Martin 00-21 just because it's got that troubadour vibe that you get from the Kerouac grave picks where Bob has it slung up over his shoulder as he walks along.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    superstar19 likes this.
  4. Angel Flying Too Close

Angel Flying Too Close Member

is this the most recent version, and is it accurate after all the recent listening?
    Thanks!

5. Fender Relic

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Regular tuning, and played in Ab on that version (G shape with capo on the 1st fret).

7. Fender Relic

8. dylan1974

dylan1974 Forum Resident

Does anyone know which take of YGMMLWYG was slated as a possible inclusion to a fourth disc on the bootleg vol 1-3?

9. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

Yes! That makes me believe that the test pressing was cut at normal speed and unintentionally slowed down on the CD by the bootlegger.

JohnKale and voles like this.
  10. Arkady

Arkady Forum Resident

So I've spent a lot of time listening to the big box, and even more time thinking about it. It's a thing of wonder. Having listened to it through twice, I then isolated each song and listened to all the complete takes of it in order, making notes as I went. I then compiled different playlists that make sense to me. Give them a whirl and see what you think:

‘Acoustic’

This is a collection of more stripped-back takes. Lots of first takes here. Shelter ends up being one of the bouncier songs, which I quite like.

Tangled up in Blue - Take 2 Remake
    Simple Twist of Fate - Take 1
    You’re a Big Girl Now - Take 1
    Idiot Wind - Take 4 Remake (no organ overdub)
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome You Go Take 1 Remake
    Meet Me in the Morning - Take 1 Remake (single disk)
    Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts - Take 2 (single disk)
    If You See Her, Say Hello - Take 1 (single disk)
    Shelter from the Storm - Take 1
    Buckets of Rain - Take 1 Remake 2

‘Heartbreak’

These are also stripped back, but they focus on the 'weary' vocal that Dylan tests out on the second takes of songs on the 16th, and occasionally thereafter - Buckets of Rain Take 2 Remake being the ultimate example (it's so crepuscular that it could be a Good As I Been To You outtake). This is for late night listening, alone, with a glass of bourbon.

Tangled up in Blue - Take 1
    Simple Twist of Fate - Take 2
    You’re a Big Girl Now - Take 2 (single disk)
    Idiot Wind - Take 6
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome You Go - Take 1 Remake 2 (single disk)
    Meet Me in the Morning - Take 1 Remake 2
    If You See Her, Say Hello - Take 2
    Shelter from the Storm - Take 2 (single disk)
    Buckets of Rain - Take 2 Remake (single disk)

Alternate

This is a more radical shake-up, presenting alternative songs and arrangements of songs that are most different relative to the released album, where possible. It has the full-band versions of Simple Twist and You're Gonna Make me Lonesome, and replaces Meet Me in the Morning and Shelter from the Storm with Call Letter Blues and Up to Me. It also avoids replicating songs in the other playlists as much as possible.

Tangled up in Blue - Take 3 Remake 3 (single disk)
    Simple Twist of Fate - Take 1 A
    You’re a Big Girl Now - Take 1 Remake
    Idiot Wind - Take 3
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome You Go - Take 5
    Call Letter Blues - Take 1
    If You See Her, Say Hello Take 1
    Up to Me Take 2 Remake (single disk)
    Buckets of Rain - Take 1

Ultimate

And this, at the moment, is my ultimate Blood on the Tracks playlist. Subject to change minute by minute! Note that Tangled is the only track from Minnesota that I consider superior to its New York alternatives. I think Meet Me in the Morning is best on the released album, without the relatively weak added verse, and with a superior guitar overdub. And I just can't shake the feeling that the best Shelter from the Storm is Take 1 without the eccentric piano and plodding bass, as found on the Jerry Maguire soundtrack.

Tangled up in Blue - Minnesota (BOTT)
    Simple Twist of Fate - Take 1
    Call Letter Blues - Take 2
    Up to Me Take 2 Remake 3
    You’re a Big Girl Now - Take 2
    Idiot Wind - Take 4 Remake
    You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome You Go - Take 1 Remake
    Meet Me in the Morning - Take 1 (BOTT edit/overdub)
    Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts Take 2 (single disk)
    If You See Her, Say Hello - Take 1
    Shelter from the Storm - Take 1 (Jerry Maguire mix)
    Buckets of Rain - Take 4 Remake 2 (BOTT)

tl;dr - More Blood, More Tracks is amazing. With a few exceptions the best takes didn't make it onto the album. Which is quite something when it's the best album by the greatest artist of all time.

Mr. D, Chris M, frightwigwam and 17 others like this.
  11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sarah Lowndes his wife was a Playboy Bunny was she not?

12. All Down The Line

Yes.

The Bard likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Not that I know.

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm just going to go out on a limb here, as while I have a LOT of Dylan in my collection, I'm nowhere near the crazy fanatics most of you are around here.

Let me start by saying that if I had to "throw it all away" (yes, that was a Dylan reference), I would keep "Nashville Skyline", "Blood On The Tracks" and "Highway 61 Revisited" and I could be pretty happy. With that said, I listened this morning to the single CD of "More Blood, More Tracks" and I've got to say that it will easily jump in with those prior three and I may actually be willing to depart with "Blood On The Tracks" in favor of these early recordings, they are THAT damn good, in my opinion! With exception of Bob's vest buttons getting in the way of his stellar guitar playing on this, I just can't believe how much MORE I love these original, almost acoustic versions of these classic songs. You want to talk about Dylan and his greatness, just lay a copy of this into the hands of someone who doesn't already know his music and I guarantee that they will quickly "get it!"

Stone Turntable likes this.
  16. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

[​IMG]

JohnKale and All Down The Line like this.
  17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I' m with you on all counts.
    I must say that my 2 favorite cuts from the era would be: You're A Big Girl Now from Biograph and Idiot Wind from Bootleg 1-3. The former, in particular, may be my favorite Dylan track.

Chris C likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

Bingo!
    A Hefner Supper Club perchance?

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

So she was a glamorous nymph after all.

20. All Down The Line

Are you talking the download or the physical cd track selection?

21. All Down The Line

In a Calico dress?

22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

TP was likely sped up before MN. why would bootlegger speed it up?
    the first thing you notice when listening to the NYC sessions is that maybe little speeding up would be in order. lets be honest, it drags. i suspect the idea dawned way before the request.

23. fredhammersmith

... and by the way, which version/take/remake/mix/alt/var of You're A Big Girl Now is on Side Tracks???

24. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

No. Futile Horn. As per the notebook reproduced in the deluxe edition:-

[​IMG]

It's been a debatable subject for years, even though it appears as "futile" on the official lyrics. Here is a piece from a few years ago by a well-respected writer, Richard Williams. Once he wrote exclusively for the music rags over here but branched out to do other things. He's written a couple of pretty good books about Formula One, for example:-

A feudal horn

#

streetlegal and Stone Turntable like this.
  25. fredhammersmith

CD. What, another version/variation???