Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Open Me, Homer ((I’ve heard it said before).

stepeanut likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If that is the door that both Dylan and Sinatra walked through when Frank asked Dylan to teach him Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, please grab it for me.

It is really too bad that Dylan would not shorten the song to 4 minutes as Frank requested. Frank also wanted to bring the tempo up a bit.

Frank lightened it up and got Bob to laugh, when Frank said to Bob, "You're just like a woman!"

That door may be worth quite a lot.

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Better late than never I recently bagged a new sealed "Best Of The Cutting Edge" 3LP / 2CD set for next to no money. What a beauty the large format booklet is!

It won't surprise regular visitors to the Bootleg Series threads to learn that I think there are a couple of bits of unique artwork in the LP booklet that do not appear in the inserts and booklets and books of the single CD sampler, the 2 CD set, the 6 CD set or Big Blue. At least, I can't find them in the other editions.

This photo,

[​IMG]

and this ad.

[​IMG]

One day I'll get around to logging it all - he said, lying through his teeth - but I think this means that there is some unique artwork in each of the five editions.

4. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I do love these "on piano pics" of this era.

JSKC, The Bard and Percy Song like this.
  5. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I've struggled to find who played on what recording, but one of my favorite guitar licks is found on Temporary Like Achilles.

In the bridge of the song where you can hear the electric blues licks pouring through your speakers with incredible tone...

On Wikipedia there are five guitarists listed on just that song. My guess is Robbie but just a guess.

Bob Dylan – vocals, rhythm guitar, harmonica
    Charlie McCoy – guitar
    Robbie Robertson – guitar
    Wayne Moss – guitar
    Joe South – guitar, bass guitar

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I always assumed it was Robbie as well. In fact, it's the only time I can really pick him out on the album.

Om, NumberEight and superstar19 like this.
  7. oh, yeah. Dylan's a terrific economical guitar solo guy. He's like Pops Staples.

8. Percy Song

Charlie played bass. @Daryl Sanders, in his book, indicates that Wayne Moss sat this one out and only Robertson and South played guitars, so it is bound to be Robbie you are hearing.

revolution_vanderbilt and Om like this.
  9. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I agree. You can hear his playing in this song more than anywhere else. It's a great example.

10. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I love it when new posts pop up on this thread. This is the one Dylan archive release that makes it all worth while.

11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Big Blue is the alpha and the omega.

JohnS, Percy Song, The Bard and 4 others like this.
  12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'm hoping for the Big Brown. Meaning a box-set of the complete
    studio sessions 1962 -1964, accompanied by a box-set of live concerts,
    partnered with The Villager collection of home tapes and club tapes.
    The Big Brown will be the Alpha. Then Big Blue will be the Omega.

13. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Yep. Could not agree more.
    This is the music that gets buried in the time capsule for future generations. It broke the mould and no-one has come close since.

14. NumberEight

The sheet music of Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? was, as far as I know, never included in any contemporary Dylan song album.

This particular copy of the rather elusive individual sheet music has just sold on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125314998053?ntype=bns&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11002.m43.l2648&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=6673ac8479174edaa1af996253ecb398&bu=43139529005&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20220521161051&segname=11002&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,nqt=nqt,nqc=nqc,mdbreftime=mdbreftime,es=es,ec=ec,eprlogid=eprlogid,exe=exe,ext=ext,exe=exe,ext=ext,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

Curiously, the arrangement appears not to be that of the official single, but that of the version accidentally released under the title Positively 4th Street (and covered by the Vacels).

Maybe that explains why it wasn’t included in any contemporary song album…

DeeThomaz, Percy Song and stepeanut like this.
  15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

It's "religion of little TIN women, isn't it?" The lyrics on the sheet music say "ten" women.

smoke, NumberEight and Bob M. like this.
  16. NumberEight

Yes, you're right. :)

Curiously (or maybe not so curiously, given the reference to "genocide fools"), that third verse was omitted from the Vacels version. So we have no idea what they would have made of it.

smoke likes this.
  17. Percy Song

Further to the images of tape boxes on the jewel case insert in the sampler, I just found this image on the Bob Dylan Center Archive page. It's probably been there for yonks...

[​IMG]

J92478: 13 January 1965, the first day of sessions for "Bringing It All Back Home". The job number can be found on the page in Big Blue housing Disc #5

Bob Dylan Center Archive

mickdoby, jdw, The Bard and 2 others like this.
  18. Percy Song

I realise this mystery (to me) was answered by @lukpac in another thread. "Stereo Work Reel"

I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

This a hilarious. Seems Mike may have taken the comment a bit too seriously (?), of course I wasn't there to see the 'delivery' lol.
    Seems more like a humorous 'jab', classic Dylan.

BigSur32 likes this.
  20. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

CBackley likes this.
  21. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Will probably never happen, but I wish they released the whole set on Blu-ray. If they want to max out the resolution, it can even be a three Blu-ray disc set, with one disc for more or less each group of album sessions, but they could fit the entire contents of 18 CD's on to one Blu-ray disc and still have enough room to bump up the resolution. I'm not sure how much lower the price would be since the sheer number of tracks will still keep the price up, but it's a hell of a lot easier to explore this set when you have it all in one place rather than shuffling through a large number of individual discs.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If they did that and added a book and a souvenir pressed leaf from Dylan's Malibu property, that would probably go for about $479, or $550 after tax and shipping to USA. In Europe, it would be $750

24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I have two copies of the 18 CD box. The day Percy Song
    posted his photo of two box-sets I knew I had to get the
    slightly used copy my local record shop had been trying
    to sell for a couple of years. $700, but I had a lot of trade
    credit. I'm thinking of selling it for top dollar now.

Discogs has one for L1,325.00 BP > $1,638.00. Ebay
    has one for $2,399.00. I want more. Much more.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
    Percy Song likes this.
  25. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

How long do you expect to wait on that? Asking for a friend