Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Guess what he played in Mobile a few years ago...

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Sorry, haven't read the thread. Is this just a 2-CD set or is there a bigger CD box set like Basement Tapes, Cutting Edge, etc...

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen (to my forum-approved CD of John Wesley Harding)

3. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

3CD set, no larger or smaller version.

Lewisboogie and MikeP5877 like this.
  4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Thanks!

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I bought mine from Barnes and Noble and have experienced some of the same issues. It’s just a plain old crapshoot and crap plant (MPO) that pressed the records.

6. Tom Thumbs Booze

Tom Thumbs Booze Forum Resident

But you keep repeating the same mistake: buying from amazon.

I buy from a different retailer and never have your problems
    Amazon don't press records , they sell them !! Were all the faulty RSD BOTT Test Pressings bought via Amazon. NO. If Amazon are being deliberately supplied with faulty copies, then that's something we all need to be aware of.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Barnes and Noble. All right. You left out this detail before.

No one would dispute, under the circumstances, that MPO presses defective
    vinyl most of the time and that the Dylan organization and Sony should find
    another plant.

No one suggested, inferred, implied, indicated or otherwise stated that amazon
    was being deliberately supplied with faulty copies. You're the only one who has
    said that, and refuted it in the same breadth.

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Bought a 3rd LP set at a local shop tonight. Same distortion issues on LP1. That’s it for me guys, I give up. Shame.

HominyRhodes and moonshiner like this.
  9. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Anyone else order and get the german Rolling Stone with the free single? Mine just arrived :)

10. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

Mine arrived end of last week! Now I have to figure out how to pay them.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  11. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I emailed them to ask - if I get a reply Ill post it here

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. to the grave

to the grave Forum Resident

Despite wishing for an alternative method, I did end up emailing them my credit card information. I had been hoping to get someone from Germany to help me out, but I was anxious to get the order completed. I just did all of this a few days ago, so I do not yet have the issue/vinyl....hoping it arrives and that I don't start seeing crazy activity on my credit card!

13. Bobfan2

Bobfan2 Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been covered already;
    All Along the Watchtower – Take 3 (Alternate Version) - According to Michael Krogsgaard research the version on JWH is a splice of take 3 & 5, so is what we have here part of the released version?
    Country Pie – Take 2 (Alternate Version) - According to the session sheets 2 versions of Country Pie were recorded on 14th February, the second pulled (for release on NS?). Another self portrait had a version also from the 14th, listed as alternate version (which I assumed was take 1). We now have a take 2 (alternate version) on Travelin’ Thru. Could this version be from one of the sessions for NS that we have no information on?
    Earl Scruggs session - recording date is new, previously had been listed as December 1970.

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I can’t come up with a complaint. My vinyl’s very well pressed and the combination of Dylan and Cash is, as you say, a treasure. Johnny’s voice is more a treasure each year since his passing. Let’s face it, both these guys will be gone before too much longer.

How cool will this release be then? Don’t get me wrong, no rush.

15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I also love the jazzed up version of Folsom Prison Blues, with the wild accelerando at the end!!!!!!! Those boys were having some fun!

So how was THIS left off the original Self Portrait, or Another Self Portrait or Dylan or ... ... ...

It’s clear that the original SP would have needed at least 7 LPs to tell the whole story.

— David

16. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Volume 15 is my first Bootleg Series purchase since I bought Vol 1-3 as a gift for my father when it came out near 30 years ago. Obviously I'm at best a casual fan as I can count the number of Dylan albums I enjoy on two hands, JWH and NS among them. I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying this set. Loving the content and mastering of all three short discs!

17. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

If you like Bootleg Series #15 and Vol1-3, it's logical for you to get Bootleg Series #10, Another Self Portrait, which covers a very similar era (1969-1971). The 2CD version would be quite enough for you.

anth67, Lewisboogie, 905 and 2 others like this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Well worth the money too in my humble opinion.

19. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I just listened to the sampler of this set on Spotify, and I will definitely be sitting out on buying this one.

I just don’t understand this phase in Bob Dylan’s career. I really don’t enjoy Nashville Skyline or Self Portrait. The voice he was singing with at the time is just too distracting for me to get past. Like, I genuinely can’t understand what he was thinking around this time and just can’t find any enjoyment in these few years whatsoever.

I hope Bob can still pay the rent without my $40!

20. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip.

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I’ve listened carefully to the new alternate take 3. I hear a couple of cymbal crashes near the beginning plus one or two added and deleted words near the beginning and end of take 3.
    PLUS Charlie is trying some arpeggiated chords NOT on the original.
    Those seem to be different than the original JWH version.

So, based on this, I’ll say a splice of take 3 was NOT used in the official version??
    But I welcome anyone’s input here. (You know who you are.)

David

HominyRhodes and Bobfan2 like this.
  22. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Oh man, been a bit behind, but finally digging into the full release today. The first disc is crazy. I actually prefer a lot of these John Wesley Harding alternates to what he actually released on the album. How is Bob's career littered with moments like this? I'm a little wary of the Cash section though - looks like a bit of a slog - but should be worth it for the double-shot of Self-Portrait takes and Scruggs at the end!

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gone through this whole set already. CD # 1 is fantastic. The Cash material may not be for a Dylan newcomer but definitely worth its historical aspect. You hear much more Cash than Bob and I could understand why these two legends couldn't make an album together.

Dylan and Cash respected each other too much to hog the spotlight. Two gentleman with a respect for one another. It clearly shows on listening to these recordings.
    I agree this bootleg release is underwhelming I do wish there were more JWH, NS tracks.

Overall I like the price and this material is welcome in any Dylanologist library. Historical material that I will listen to more this weekend. I feel if you listen to it straight through you appreciate all the material on this latest Dylan bootleg release. Besides another outtake of All Along The Watchtower is a thing of beauty all unto itself.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  24. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

The recent Johnny Cash documentary, The Gift, has been released on YouTube.

A small section on Cash/Dylan starts around the 42 minute mark. It includes an excerpt of a performance by Cash of "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"

The while doc is worth a watch.

25. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Quite a beautiful lyric video. Pleased to wake up in the early hours and find an email link to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.