Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Napoleon_In_Rags

Napoleon_In_Rags Well-Known Member

I hope MoFi are allowed to one day get their hands on Bootleg Vol:4 - Live 1966

2. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

I just splurged on audiophileusa. I suspect they have several squirreled away... luckily a perfect pressing.
    :cool:

jgrillo and Napoleon_In_Rags like this.
  3. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Coulda grabbed my Classic Records Quiex! Had it up but just sold yesterday on Discogs.

4. Sneezyachew

Still looking for Philharmonic, Witmark, and Tell Tale... I expect I’ll be satisfied after that... :rolleyes:

Tell Tale, I assume, is most likely for a repress but I could just have no idea what I’m even on about. :blah:

5. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I think they are doing an in house release of those earlier bootleg releases. They just re-released the Rolling Thunder Review in 2019 after the original pressing had been going for a couple hundred dollars so i don't see why they'd stop at just that one.

Spencer R and Napoleon_In_Rags like this.
  6. Sneezyachew

I don’t either but that was reissued in time for the “documentary” so who knows. Was there a time 1 - 3 was nowhere to be found?

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s a good point. I wish Sony would also reissue the Witmark Demos and Tell Tale Signs vinyl boxes.

Sneezyachew likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

On vinyl, decades.

BrettyD, Sneezyachew and Spencer R like this.
  9. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Outside of a 1991 European pressing of Volumes 1-3, which was likely pressed in limited numbers, Volumes 1-3 was nowhere to be found on vinyl until the reissue a few years back.

Volume 5 saw a reissue in conjunction with the recent Rolling Thunder “documentary”. To the best of my knowledge, none of the other volumes have seen a repress.

I need volumes 4, 6, and 7 on vinyl to have the complete series on vinyl so I would love represses of these. The prices for these on the secondary market are more than I want to pay so I’ll keep my fingers crossed for represses even if I’m not super optimistic about that happening.

Spencer R likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agreed. I want Tell Tale Signs on vinyl, but not badly enough to pay $300 or $400 for it.

Sneezyachew and DavidJ like this.
  11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You have to buy this stuff when released, I had no idea the 4 LP box was going for so much. Glad I bough the vinyl and cd when released. :pleased:

12. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I agree. I’m not sure if there is general agreement on when the “vinyl revival” began, but Volume 8 (Tell Tale Signs) was issued back in 2008. I think that may pre-date when the revival was in full swing. Obviously all prior bootleg series volumes were issued earlier. I realize some of these titles were in print for a decent period of time, but given what these go for on the secondary market there are obviously interested buyers that missed out.

I read some speculation that the reissue of the Tom Petty Live Anthology boxset (which is great) was driven in part by the high prices for the original issue on the resale market. Maybe Bob Inc. takes notice and does something similar here. One (with holes in their collection) can hope.

Spencer R likes this.
  13. Sneezyachew

Always going to be a next gen of buyers tho....

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I know. I can’t afford to buy everything when it is released. I have to pick and choose.

15. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I have the same problem, but Dylan has always gotten preferential attention. :agree:

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The MoFi Dylan releases have gotten my attention, and I’m closing in on getting all of the ones I want. I can live without Before the Flood and one or two others.

17. Sneezyachew

I forgot they did Before the Flood...

... why?

Still debating Planet Waves tho.
    :yawn:

18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Eh don’t bother. Reportedly pressed from 16bit files.

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Had the stereo Bringing it all Back Home SACD arrive today and just extract the DSD now. My Dylan MOFI collection is rapidly growing. I’ve now got Blonde on Blonde, Bringing it all back home (stereo), before the flood and The Basement Tapes.

Been able to grab a copy of Desire off Discogs which I’m pleased about as it seems very difficult to get hold of

Ive got more on order from MOFI but they are taking forever to ship. Is it usual for them to take weeks to ship in stock items? I ordered on 28th December.

Spencer R likes this.
  20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I don’t care. I still want it on vinyl.

I do have the Cutting Edge, Another Self Portrait, and Live 1975 Bootleg Series on vinyl and am very happy with how they sound.

Even if Tell Tale Signs is a straight dump from the CD files to vinyl, I still want it.

21. Tell Tale is really good on vinyl.

22. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Finally picked up Mofi Planet Waves on vinyl which brings me current except for Before the Flood and Nashville Skyline. I have near Mint OG Nashville Skyline so I’m cool there.
    Yeah , I’m kicking myself for not picking up Bootleg Vol 4 on vinyl when prices were more reasonable. I did buy The Real Royal Albert Hall 1966 on vinyl but as much as I can rationalize it being close to bootleg vol 4 , it’s just not .....for me Bootleg Vol 4 is the definitive Bob Dylan with The Cutting Edge 1965-1966 being ever so close.

Spencer R likes this.
  23. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Could you find an OG US/Canadian copy that wasn't muddy? I've had 2 and they both were very muddy instrument wise. I did own an original UK copy at one point and that sounded MUCH improved but it had some condition issues so I passed it on. The MFSL Nashville Skyline at 27minutes is just way too short for the double disc treatment for me but I'm on the lookout for a single disc. Might have to go with the UK issue again or maybe the Kevin Gray cut but unsure how that sounds.

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I could only have one Bob Dylan album, it would be Bootleg Vol. 6, the Halloween 1964 concert. That’s the definitive Dylan album to me.

Gdgray likes this.
  25. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Vol 6 is one of the few I don't have.

I just looked it up now and see that Audio Fidelity reissued it as an SACD in 2016, mastered by our own SH.

Anyone have it? I'm tempted to get one.

Have any of the other Bootleg Series been done as SACDs by Steve?

Plan9 likes this.