Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeap, I think so!

2. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Hmm... I sent a mail to Mofi regarding Another Side being the remix or not and they ensured me it's made from the original master tape. Don't know what to believe.

Just ordered the SACD anyway. Was very pleased with Freewheelin' and can't wait for BIABH and BoB!

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

One of my local record stores has had higher than list prices on their MoFi for a at least a few years now. I asked the owner why the price differential and they told me that they don't buy enough copies to get a price break which may or may not be true. It might be where they think they need to be from a profit standpoint which could be their own financial world or a little greed. Without being on the inside I have no way to confirm so it's only guess work on my part. All I know is that with rare exception I don't buy MoFi from them. Prices on some of their other new vinyl tends to run a bit higher too like the mono Dylan lps from Sundazed. I don't know if any of this relates to Newbury's issues but why pay over full retail for these titles when they are available elsewhere? I don't feel a need to get the absolute rock bottom price on my music but paying more than list for a current title makes no sense to me.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

But what is the original stereo mix? Did this album every really sound like stereo?

Hasn't this album always had a more "mono" feel to even the stereo mix?

(It has been a long time since I listened to anything but the Sony SACD or the now the new MOFI LP).

5. MikeT

I only reported what was printed in the credits on the LP. It specifically names the same people responsible for mixing and producing the Sony SACD. It is quite possible that they copied what copy and print they were given by Sony (and used a different tape)? The LP does have all the same pictures that are found in the SACD booklet and jacket - pictures that aren't on any other version of the album.

But the two songs I compared, definitely had the same tonality, similar sound and instrument placement as the Sony SACD.

Does the remix actually sound that much different from the original mix? I guess I could listen to the original CD, which has the original mix to compare, since I only compared one song from that CD to the LP - and it was clear that the sound quality on the original CD suffered in comparison.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I wonder what source will be used for Blonde on Blonde. Does anyone know?

7. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Just recieved a follow up from Mofi:

"I have received word of your interest in the source for our mastering of this title.
    As the credit states, we used the master tapes mixed in 2003 by Mr. Brauer and Mr. Berkowitz.
    Let me state for the record that those tapes are analogue.
    Hope this helps put any wondering at its ease.

Best,
    Rob LoVerde"

Too bad...

8. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Interesting - will need to watch carefully what gets used for BIABH and BOB since these were not vintage mixes on the Sony SACD's, and I won't be rebuying those either if they use 2003 masters..

9. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

I asked about that in my response.

Will post the answer here as soon as I get it.

10. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

Mixed in 2003? Hay folks, that session was recorded with only 2 tracks on a 3 track recorder with tracks 1 & 3 being identical. What is there to mix? So apparently they did not get their hands on the first generation 3 track master tape to make this release. If true this is sad.

11. MikeT

That is why I asked earlier in the thread can the remix be THAT much different from the original mix.

The differences I hear, after listening to a few tracks from the original CD, and the one track on the Gold AF in comparison - is that the remix sort of "widens" the soundstage - so that even if it sounds very narrow, there is more of a stereo spread than the original mix.

In addition, it appears they re-eq'ed the mix so that it has a bit more "presence", yet the changes accentuate and bring out harshness in the vocals (while trying to bring more clarity to the guitar and harmonica).

I have to hand it to Mofi though, for being upfront and forthright in telling in the truth regarding what source they used. They could have been "silent" on the issue, leaving us to all wonder.

12. MikeT

I don't suppose to know, but based on Sony's track record in that once they create a new mix, they seem to license that version out for re-master (i.e., MOFI releases).

I would bet (a lot - yet I hope I'm wrong), that any remixes done for the SACD will be the mixes that MOFI was given to use for their releases - even if they are given an analogue tape.

We will see - as I said, let's hope I'm wrong.

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I like the 2003 mix. It's not THAT different. :shrug: What do I know, I even like the Street Legal remix. :)

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

"Too bad..." -- why do you say that?

He says right there in his response that the mastering was all analogue, which is really the key. The fact that the original stereo mix wasn't used is not such a big deal, if you want the definitive mix you need to get the mono box anyway.

SergioRZ likes this.
  15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Aren't the remixes made from the original multi-tracks, whereas if they used the original mixes they would have to come from tape dubs because the original stereo masters are lost? Or am I wrong?

16. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

I just think it's a bummer they couldn't get hold of the original tapes. I don't mind the 2003 mix at all, but it just isn't the ultimate solution.

17. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

Too bad, because it is one generation away from the master tape. Our leaders prime directive (if I am reading him correctly) is that the best sound comes from the master tape. In this case it would be that 3 track analog tape, not the 2 track analog remix. And there was not a original milti-track master, just a 2 track master on a 3 track reel.

So that begs the question, what tape did our leader use on the new gold disk?

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

From Post #1 here, Steve says: Adventures In Mastering: "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" 360 Stereo Gold CD from AF..

vonwegen likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Our leader"??? SH hosts this site, he's not our "leader".

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Are you saying that the original stereo release of this album used the raw "2 track master on a 3 track reel", without creating a stereo mix from these tapes, and MoFi should have done the same?

Certainly not clear from this thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=287341

22. RFeirstein

RFeirstein Member

If the master tape was recorded on a 3 track analog recorder with track 1 & 3 being the same then there were only two tracks from which to make a mono master. The 3 track reel could be considered the earliest stereo recording but not necessarly the earliest surviving recording. I don't know if that 3 track tape still exists or if only a first generation stereo dub of that still exists, or if the earliest surviving recording is a later dub from that first generation stereo dub. Perhaps Mr. Hoffman knows?

23. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

Hi to all. I've just got my copy of Freewheelin' on 45rpm double vinyl and I am completely blown away by it. I have once again fallen in love with this album. It has always been my favourite and this version has brought me even closer to it. It is as though my headphones are directly attached to Dylan's vocal chords. Amazing!!!

However, I just need to check if anyone has a similar issue to me. During Girl From the North Country on the lines: "Well, if you go when the snowflakes storm, When the rivers freeze and summer ends" there is a huge amount of sibilance on the S's to the point of distortion which is quite distracting. Does anyone else have this issue? The reason I ask is that if this is the price I have to pay to own this otherwise phenomenal pressing then so be it, but if its possibly an individual pressing error and I could exchange my copy for one without this problem, then I would be even happier.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Welcome abroad. :wave:
    The vinyl is amazing. I concur.
    As for the sibilance you pointed, I found nothing serious on my copy.

25. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Double cleaning did the trick & other than a few ticks & pops, now sounds great. Quality control sure dropped the ball on my copy.