Bob Dylan mono at 45rpm from MoFi on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James_S888, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

Well I got 3 today. John Wesley Harding, Highway 61, and Times.
    Only comparing the JWH Mofi 45 to the Sony mono box version, the 45 from Mofi is much better. The bass guitar is much more thumpy and energetic. The vocals are also more elevated and present. I don't care which is more accurate to the originals or to the master tape, the Mofi sounds better to me.
    The Sony box that Marino did sounds great until it gets compared back to back with this.

IanL likes this.
  2. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I have Times (sounds great) and just ordered JWH. Will be getting the first three albums as they're released.

3. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Has anyone heard anything about the release of Freewheeling and Another Side Of mono from this series?

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Not a word. I'm not sure what the problem is.

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

About to pull the trigger on the Mono MFSL 45 RPMs of BIABH, H61R, and JWH. It seems based on the threads on this subject (like the one linked below) that these are the best versions of these albums out there and since they're limited to 3,000 I'm afraid of missing out if I hesitate.

MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

I just want to see if people can comment before I click "order" as to whether any other alternatives are equal/better (e.g. Sundazed? Stereo MFSL 45rpm?). If there are alternatives that compete with these MFSL Mono's it may not be necessary to pull the trigger just yet. I've been spending more than I should lately. However, I also figure these would be a good investment if nothing else (hence another reason I'm trying to figure out if these are going to end up being the definitive versions in people's eyes (ears?).

I've never been a really huge Dylan fan but I have a feeling that great sounding versions of these albums would be revelatory from the way people are describing them. I'm getting older (okay not that old, just 35, but I feel really old) and I can see myself sitting down after a long day and spinning these while drinking a good bourbon or whiskey.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why don't you buy one to test the waters instead. JWH is excellent.

chacha likes this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

If you read my post, you'd know.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I read your post!

I highly doubt these will sell out anytime soon. I buy music to listen to and not for its investment value. Good luck.

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I think you read what you wanted to read from my post because I was clearly asking for advice on various issues of these albums for sound quality. If these limited pressings are the best I may pull the trigger due to being limited. If not, I'll wait. It's very simple.

If you don't want to help that's fine. Hopefully someone else has some useful input.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What did I just tell you about John Wesley Harding?? It sounds excellent! Better than the Sundazed.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You said it sounds great, which didn't answer my question.

This helps, finally. Letting me know it's better than the Sundazed is a great step in the right direction. Thank you.

12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For my money, literally, since I've bought them all, the 45s, mono and stereo are the best sounding issues of all these except my mono first pressing of H61. that to me has a closeness the mofis don't quite match. despite the much quieter vinyl

musictoad likes this.
  13. i agree; enough is enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.