Bob Dylan “Not Dark Yet” 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Oct 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am thankful to myself for buying a ticket to Bob’s show on 10/12 in Santa Barbara. (I know there’s a thread on the tour already). And despite the show being a top to bottom masterpiece, I cannot get his new arrangement out of my head. It’s disturbing me how much this song (one that I liked okay but was never a favorite) has penetrated my soul.
    This post is for those who haven’t heard the new version or those who have and would like to comment. This, unfortunately, isn’t the version that I saw but it’s pretty close to the greatness that I witnessed.
    Long Live Bob.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Yeah. I relate.

I333I likes this.
  3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

was great tonight in Chicago.

4. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Majestic.

Nick Brook, The MEZ and I333I like this.
  5. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Ooh, I like this new arrangement.

The MEZ and I333I like this.
  6. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Saw this opening night in Irvine and it was the highlight of the show for me.

I played the performance to my wife (who appreciates Dylan but isn’t a fan) and she said it sounded really special. She also said it reminded her of a smashing pumpkins song.

DeeThomaz and I333I like this.
  7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

It sounds great, but reveals to me more than ever that the lyrics aren't necessarily his best--in spirit yes, but not always in execution.

SteveM likes this.
  8. I333I

the video that I posted was from the Irvine show. I feel like the inflection on the next night was superior, but this version is just as amazing. I really like how intense he gets on the final verse. His voice sounds better than I’ve heard it in decades.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Richard--W and jumpinjulian like this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

There has been a lot of positive buzz about this tour so far, and I am getting excited to hear for myself next week in Michigan!

The MEZ and I333I like this.
  10. Stunning. Simply stunning.

Thank you for posting.

Best Wishes,
    David

11. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Been to six or seven of his tours, and tied with 2002 this one has been the most fascinating, captivating to me. The music just glows.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This has always been a top 10 Dylan song for me. Yes... I think it’s that good.

CCrider92 and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  13. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Just a brilliant performance. Thanks for posting!

Elliottmarx and I333I like this.
  14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Miss Mary Jane has a house in ....BALTIMORE....and Bob will check in tonight...i 'Can't Wait' to see him!

As for Not Dark Yet, its one of Bob's top 20 or so songs ever, a complete masterpiece. The new arrangement sounds amazing too!

WaterLemon likes this.
  15. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Was lucky enough to be at Irvine for the stunning debut and Santa Barbara. Irvine remains the best rendition I've heard of the new arrangement but they've all been great.

Thoroughly enjoyed the SB show too - great venue with perfect sound and Bob was in terrific form.

I333I and WaterLemon like this.
  16. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Well, thanks to you lot on this particular thread, finally clueing in to how great Bob and the band are performing right now, I lined up tix to one of next week’s shows at the Beacon. Very much looking forward to seeing him again!! It’s been maybe 10 years since I last saw him... we’re lucky to still have Dylan performing in a venue nearby.

I333I and enro99 like this.
  17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Wow. Haven't seen old Bob in, I'm gonna say, 8 years. I think it's time to get back. Thanks for posting that. Very special. That's the magic I been missing...

Elliottmarx, SuddenSam and I333I like this.
  18. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Wow that is a stark rearrangement. Thanks for sharing.

I333I likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I saw the Bob Dylan / Paul Simon Tour when they played the Jiffy Lube Theater in Manassas, VA (a horrible place),

Anyway it is an outdoor theater, the sun was setting while Bob played NOT DARK YET, it was a memorable performance and sun setting made the performance very moving.

20. I333I

Was it this arrangement? I assumed this was a new version but I guess I had no basis for that thought.

21. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

This is a new version.

22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

The concert I saw was

JULY 16, 1999
    Bob Dylan - Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, VA,

As I said, the song NOT DARK YET, being played outdoors while the sun was setting, was a very moving experience. It brought to me a focus to the meaning of the song to me that I somehow had not felt.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

The Jiffy Lube Theater? Really? Good God , what a terrible name !

24. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Jiffy Lube Live (originally known as the Nissan Pavilion) in Bristow, Virginia, is an outdoor amphitheater in suburban Prince William County, about 35 miles west of Washington, D.C. Owned and operated by Live Nation, the amphitheater can seat 25,262: 10,444 in reserved seats and 14,818 on the lawn.

This a pain to get to and leaving is even worse. And sound is meh. Never a very good concert 3xperience.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Ithaca tonight had an echo added to his voice to great effect. It’s the best I’ve heard it yet

WaterLemon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.