Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Disc 2 is picking up steam compared to disc 1. I can only imagine disc 3 to be even better (edit. it is, it takes off here. Easy and slow is fantastic) Rehearsals do pay off; there's a "primitive" "If you see her say hello" here with an almost complete different lyric, 13 minutes of Wheels/Hurricane/Watchtower. Good stuff, not brilliant, but getting there. (edit. Yes, disc 3 is where it's happening)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    AGimS, oldjollymon and DeeThomaz like this.
  2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Not only is that a great trailer for the film, but I love seeing all those cars, buildings, signs, clothes and hairstyles from the pre-Disco Seventies. :cool:

DeeThomaz and RayS like this.
  3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

That trailer just left me speechless. I remember going to the London premier of No Direction Home and the feeling I had seeing all that previously unseen footage. It was mesmerising, and here we are again with what looks like an incredible film full of treasures. Wow.

4. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I want to tell you something............yea, Bob that's when I try to put on bs filter.
    I'm drooling for this thing, I may watch it multiple times over that weekend, just looking for minute zhit.

No one else will do that, I'm sure.:winkgrin:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

In the preview trailer, where is the clip @0:23 from? Looks like Bob is playing piano, and singing very aggressively.

mark ab likes this.
  7. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

It seems like he’s playing at that ladies Mahjong hall you see after that moment of Bob on the piano judging from the amount of women you see in the makeshift audience.

asdf35 and mark ab like this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Mahjong, please. :)

9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Will there be listening parties for this set while playing Mahjong? :winkgrin:

10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

I am not familiar with the bootlegs, but to my ears Bob swamps Bobby Neuwirth here.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. RayS

In honor of the Mahjong Parlor inclusion on the box, I am playing the only song I know that mentions mahjong over and over - Alan Sherman's "****cks and Stones". ("Oh the Catskill ladies sing this song, Sitting on the front porch playing mahjong.")

12. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

The trailer makes me wish I could see the documentary on the big screen. However, I'll watch it in any format!

notesfrom likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Fortunately, the audience tape is pretty good (and the performance itself is transcendent). I’d love an upgrade but I’m glad it’s represented at all.

14. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Trailer looks amazing. The crystal clear clarity of the concert footage! Bob looks a little, err, wired, during Heaven's Door. Nice to see some natural looking footage of Mod Bob too (unlike that Superbowl Ad, or the Music Cares event) . 'Joan and I could sing in our sleep'. Well, in my nightmares at least. Still, she did look fantastic in '75, '76. Oh, I forgot....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    PADYBU, CBackley, SPARTACUS and 2 others like this.
  15. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Roger McGuinn looks a little wired, too!

supermd, AugustWest22, R4lco and 3 others like this.
  16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Nowadays he just acts weird.

EDIT: I clearly misread that. Ah well, I’ll leave it.

mark ab likes this.
  17. RayS

Apparently the forum software blocks profanity and also what it perceives to be misspelled profanities. It also doesn't understand Yiddish. :)

18. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

My imagination went into some very disturbing places wondering what the name of that tune could possibly be.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats one beautiful little box.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Never seen the footage so clear. Spooky stuff! Amazing looking. I really hope they give us at least a handful of great quality complete concert footage songs.

21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Trailer looks really great.

Bob actually being interviewed is going to add a lot of needed 'perspective' (maybe too much ******* perspective). :) Good to hear someone thought ahead and taped Ginsberg's pov on the proceedings.

22. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I've seen the film. Don't worry... they do.

23. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Just finished re-reading Ratso’s incredible book on the RTR tour. I really hope we get to see some of the scenes he describes as being shot for the film that would become Renaldo and Clara that did not make it into the movie. Can only imagine how much material Scorsese had to work with. This should be a 3 or 4 part miniseries! I hope Scorsese used Ratso’s book as an outline for his doc. June 7th and 12th can’t arrive soon enough!

HominyRhodes and WildHoneyPie like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well yee-hah! Thats awesome news :thumbsup:

PADYBU likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Life isnt about finding yourself, or finding anything. Life is about creating yourself."- Bob Dylan