Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

A minor diversion for the next song, just to add some interest. I mean, if this goes on much longer I'm gonna walk right out and complain to that freak with the hand-held camera...

2. Percy Song

He needs to get back to the folk songs. He'll wise up in a minute, I'm sure:-

3. Percy Song

"I wish he'd do something from The Times They Are A-Changin'..."

:D:D:D

Sacr, The Bard, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.
  4. Percy Song

"Where's the piano player going? Well, at least Dylan's put down that electronic guitar. He's beginning to see sense, obviously."

5. Percy Song

"I'm definitely walking out after the next song."

"Come on, love, get yer coat. It's a long way home...."

Sacr, Themigou, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.
  6. Percy Song

See you in London next week...

Sacr, Themigou, Fred Dender and 5 others like this.
  7. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

"He's prostituting himself". What a marvellous quote :D

I assume before this his shows were free and he handed out albums to fans as he pleased.

Zerox, Nosferatuz, stepeanut and 4 others like this.
  8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I meant to say Newcastle 2000, not 1998 (although I was at both). Forgive my tired misremembering, which was made during a weary, trans-Lancastrian train journey last night. Anyway, the one where he played “Delia” and “Man of Peace”.

9. Percy Song

It was a terrific show, that one. The too-short harmonica solo towards the end of Tangled Up In Blue was also memorable. And Wicked Messenger.

Themigou and stepeanut like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Post 7220 reiterated:

Comments like that might be heard and result in most fans being cheated.
    "Curated" is only for 1-disc and 2-disc cut-downs for casual listeners and lightweights.
    Dylan fans want big comprehensive sets so we can do our own "curating."

I listen to complete concerts in chronological order. Regularly.
    I wallow in the acoustic sets. Beginning to end I revel in them one after another.
    My only complaint is that the acoustic sets aren't longer.
    Much, much longer.
    I can't wait to ride the roller coaster of the electric band so wildly out control
    it seems like its going to crash and burn yet always recovers to round one more
    curve and pick up more speed. Night after night the highs and lows and curves
    are in different places even though it's the same setlist.

I relish the evolution in the performances, the up and down and give and take
    in energy from song to song and from night to night, the endlessly inventive
    phrasing and inflection, the variation in emphasis and interaction of voice with
    guitar especially when the harmonica picks up where the voice left off to stretch
    the inspiration to infinity.

Curated sets. Give me a break. This is Bob Dylan we're talking about.

11. Percy Song

...and where infinity went up on trial.

Next Big Thing likes this.
  12. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The post you quote misses out those who simply do not have the time, or maybe OP considers them the lightweights? The 1 or 2 disc sets are ideal for some fans, most fans in fact. Just because some fans can't invest 36 discs of time to one artist makes them no less a fan.

SolitaryMan likes this.
  13. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

As did those who booed Dylan that year. ;)

Percy Song likes this.
  14. Percy Song

While we're waiting for that birthday cake, Françoise Hardy at the Seine's edge, and the Paris show tomorrow, let's remember one of the key components of the touring band. Mr. Mickey Jones... 1941 - 2018

Here he is in later life with a story from those weeks which has him front and centre. (Starting at 33 minutes in and running for ten minutes for those who don't want the full Mickey Jones story as told by Mickey Jones.) The $750 a week drummer who was retained on full salary for a year after the shows giving his take on the "Judas!" incident.

15. Percy Song

And here is the second edition of his 1966 World Tour Home Movies DVD. Scroll forward 8 minutes and then see how long you can stay awake...

You have to click the "watch on You Tube" link...

This is my first edition of the DVD, signed by Mickey in 2002:-

[​IMG]

And this is my second edition, the one with the interview with that other vital component of the tour, Mr. Richard Alderson - still alive at eighty-five!

[​IMG]

16. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Ha, I remember that DVD being released. It seemed like the Holy Grail - home movie footage from the 1966 tour, in colour no less. I forget where I found put about it but I ordered a copy from some Mickey Jones-endorsed website, which was the only place you could buy it I think, and mine too was signed in red pen like that.
    I didn't even have a DVD player at the time, let alone any DVDs, but I could watch it on my Macbook. OK, the DVD was padded out but I knew there would only be a few minutes of silent super 8mm footage, and it was clear when I ordered it, it was Mickey's personal home movies never intended for public use at the time, so I didn't mind. I was just amazed to see any clips of Dylan form the time.
    As I recall I got a follow up email from the website asking for my feedback, and I replied saying how I enjoyed it for what it was, and particularly liked the grainy quality and general scenes of UK towns etc in 1966 - it was all very familiar to me, looking a lot like my family's own home movies from the time. It seemed to really embed the Dylan tour in mid-60s Britain, for someone like me who was around at the time (although I was barely 3 years old in May 66!)
    To my surprise I got an email from Mickey Jones himself, thanking me for my comments and saying how thrilled he was to read them - he seemed like a nice guy, who was genuinely touched. (I expect some feedback from others may have been less complimentary!)
    And then he emailed saying they were repackaging the DVD slightly, like a second pressing (Not the same as the reissue seen above) and he would send me another copy of this version, for free, to say thanks. So I have two, the second one with slightly altered artwork on the rear, but signed 'to John - thanks - Mickey Jones 2004'

17. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Anyone know where the Thin Man at 41:08 comes from?

18. Percy Song

It isn't Bob. It's Joel Gilbert's covers band. Can't remember what they are called off the top of my head.

19. Percy Song

Paris. Tuesday, May 24 1966.

Fifty-six years ago today BD turned 25. Today, BD is 81 years old. Fifty-six years ago you would take a 2/1 ticket that he wouldn't reach 31 the way he was carrying on. Thank goodness he did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sacr, phillyal1, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  20. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Well… that was embarrassing. :laugh:

21. Percy Song

Well, it's not a terrible impersonation. The band was/is called Highway 61 Revisited, according to the liner notes on the DVD.

22. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Seems like a cool book on the 1966 tour. Which one is this?

SteveFff likes this.
  23. Percy Song

24. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

This video was recently put up by Otis Gibbs. It's technically about a 1965 show, but hey. Also some anecdotes about Bob in Austin, TX over the course of years.

I highly recommend Otis Gibbs youtube channel (and podcast) for very unique first hand accounts of backwater stories in the Americana/Texas/folk/rock/outlaw/country music veins. One look at his channel would likely grab your interest.

https://www.youtube.com/@otisgibbs/videos

Sacr, babyblue, SteveFff and 9 others like this.
  25. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more.

SteveFff and asdf35 like this.