Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ericscho

ericscho Forum Resident

I most certainly wouldn't mind a Temples in Flames box set :).

Or a GE Smith Era Live Box.

Edit: Which ofc would have Trail of the Buffalo from the Hague '89 on it :).

alchemy, Bonddm, jimbo3688 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

Hunted Like A Crocodile was one of my first Dylan boots I bought (together with Something Is Happening Here, the Brussels '96 gig which was the first of many Dylan concerts I attended ever since. Got Brussels and Grand Rex in Paris lined up for the Fall.)

ericscho, smoke and SteveFff like this.
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Is that the tour with the hot “Groom Still Waiting…” version (I have it from iTunes).

4. Jim Sheridan

Jim Sheridan Forum Resident

Where/ how did you get to interview Mick? Is the interview published?

Waymore Lonesome and jeremylr like this.
  5. Jim Sheridan

Jim Sheridan Forum Resident

I've gotten a bunch of the 1984 Dylan boots specifically to hear Mick Taylor wail.

Mick was on fire in the early 80s. The Mayall and Dylan tours feature some of his best playing.

He toured in 1981 as part of Alvin Lee's band also, but I've never found a boot with really good sound quality, alas.

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Definitely wound like some live material issued from the GE Smith era.

Waymore Lonesome and ericscho like this.
  7. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

No, "Groom's Still Waiting" is from San Francisco, November 15, 1981 with Michael Bloomfield.

8. My Echo My Shadow And Me

Mick Taylor's playing with Dylan was much more mature than his earlier work with the Rolling Stones. With the Rolling Stones he used the songs to show off his playing. With Dylan he used his playing to show off the songs.

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Waymore Lonesome and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Some of the most scintillating guitar playing I’ve ever heard.

Edit: oh hell. Just realized I mixed up Bloomfield and Taylor (the topic of discussion. :hide: Carry on.

RayS likes this.
  11. voice with restraint

voice with restraint Forum Resident

He was performing at the Bath Guitar Festival in the UK and I was working for the local paper, The Bath Chronicle. The interview was published in the paper but I don't have a copy of it now.

jeremylr likes this.
  12. voice with restraint

voice with restraint Forum Resident

No, Mick Taylor toured with Dylan in 1984, and that Groom performacn.e was from 1980, with Mike Bloomfield guesting on guitar

ted321 and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. and Santana and Jerry Garcia

14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

For anyone not familiar with it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  15. My Echo My Shadow And Me

Of course. Typo.

16. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Half of a dozen, six of another: it's all good.

vcpj and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  17. scottc

scottc Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there was ever a digital release of the bonus Blind Willie McTell from the Third Man Records 7”?

I have two copies of the record but currently no way of making a decent needle drop!

jeremylr, Lewisboogie and CBackley like this.
  18. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

No official digital release.

scottc likes this.
  19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Just a reminder to members not to publicly engage in sharing officially copyrighted content on this forum. Any member that does so will be immediately removed from the thread and very likely warned.

Our host is a music industry professional so please show some respect to him and his profession.

20. Arie

Arie Forum Resident

"ericscho"
    dit: Which ofc would have Trail of the Buffalo from the Hague '89 on it :)

That would be the only song from that concert worthy of inclusion anywhere.
    Probably discussed elsewhere, I'm not an avid reader of Dylan threads, but I was at that gig and distinctly remember being disappointed afterwards. Bob seemed not totally being there and somewhat going through the motions. Uninspired. Except for that one song, "Trail Of The Buffalo". I haven't heard any boots to confirm or deny this, but the memory is vivid to this day.

The Bard likes this.
  21. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

@Arie

Confirming your memory of that night and of this 1989 performance of "Trail Of The Buffalo". I'm not sure I can put a link up but it can easily be found on You Tube.

Arie likes this.
  22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Anyone notice that Borrowed Time from Springtime not just a truncated version of the below but a cut and splice job?

The singing that starts on Springtime corresponds to 1:10 in that video, but they either muted his vocal that immediately preceded or patched in a couple bar intro from elsewhere

They cut out the verse at 2:20 and but come back to the instrumental section where the guitar is mixed down and the organ up

Fade out starts around 6:00 but there's another minute and a half left on the tape which includes a final verse

Heart of Gold, subtr and warewolf95 like this.
  23. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Love this song. It might be my favorite on the whole set. I wish he would have finished writing it. To me, it sounds like the Basement Tapes. With the high-pitched swirling keyboards and such. Just so good.

24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I really wish this had the 3LP / 2CD treatment like previous instalments (no, the 4LP limited edition coloured vinyl release from gimmick central Third Man doesn’t count, particularly for those of us who had to add import fees on top). As it stands, the 2CD will have to do. I need to give the 5CD track listing another go but it didn’t work for me a year ago.

25. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

As much as I dislike using them for records, Amazon had the 2LP vinyl for $17 the other day. I had to jump on it. I had the Third Man set and the tracks from the 2LP release sounded much much better on my system. And the track selection is really good taking from the larger set.

j4yheindeo likes this.