Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Why not store it along with your copies of these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nick100

Nick100 Well-Known Member

I don’t have an Atmos set up but my Blu Ray audio player can fold down Atmos audio to stereo.

listening to the SDE Time out of Mind remix is much easier on the ear this way, and sounds like it has preserved much more of dynamic range than the stereo tracks.

The ability to listen to surround tracks in stereo has rescued many an over compressed DVD or Blu Ray audio disc for me - several by Depeche Mode for example, which I would have binned if I hadn’t discovered the stereo fold down of a 5.1 mix.

Sacr, Percy Song, Nipper and 2 others like this.
  3. Forty links

Forty links Forum Resident

Doubt I’ll play any other version except Atmos …….sounds brilliant to my ageing ears

Percy Song and zobalob like this.
  4. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

It seems I need to upgrade from this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

I just need to find the right house. As luck would have it we received an offer we couldn't refuse for Percy's Manor on Friday so it shouldn't take too long to accomplish that. In the meantime, I'll try it out on the Blu-Ray player we have plugged into the TV. This may be pointless because I think the TV has only one speaker...

I agree, I probably should've gone for that five mile run instead of buying this thing. :)

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For those concerned about consuming fossil fuels in their music playback systems. this design for a water powered CD player, with diesel fuel backup power, may be just right.

You hardly ever need the diesel, which is good as the smell affects the listening experience.

[​IMG]

6. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

I was on the waiting list and ordered mine when notified. Apparently this set includes a stereo version of the Atmos mix. This would be a little bit pointless (as Michael Brauer said in his DylanFM interview), except for the fact that Atmos mastering tends to be much more dynamic than the usual stereo mastering. As I wrote on a previous post, there was recently an interview in the music magazine Sound on Sound with mastering engineer Ian Shepherd and he said that Amos mixes have not fallen prey yet to the loudness wars and they tend to be mastered much more dynamically. He said it was probably one of the things that people appreciated in Atmos mixes.

Ian Shepherd On Loudness & Dynamics

So I really bought this Blu Ray for the stereo mix, let's hope it does not disappoint, but your first impressions suggest it won't! (going online now to buy a Blu Ray drive with USB I can plug to my computer..)

7. Percy Song

Looking forward to reading your comments when you have it hooked up.

Sacr and HuntingBare like this.
  8. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

Mine has just arrived, before I open it, just to be clear, if my CD player does not play BluRays, I won’t hear anything?

Sacr likes this.
  9. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

Maybe some whirring?

10. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

The disc contains the 2022 Atmos mix and a hi-res (96/24) version of the 2022 stereo mix. I'm not sure what you mean by "...a stereo version of the Atmos mix..." certainly if selected the Atmos mix will produce a two channel stereo approximation of the multi channel mix which may well be more dynamic than the actual stereo mix and the placement of instrumentation in the mix may also be different.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your initial post :>)

Nick100 and TheAbsentMind like this.
  11. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

Indeed, you need a special drive.

Hi, yes, that's my idea. Michael Brauer talks about the headphone approximation version of the mix and Ian Shepherd talks about the "binaural version" of recent Taylor Swift multichannel mixes. I was a bit confused as to whether this would be the stereo mix included on this Blue Ray, but it does seem as though that may just be the regular one. The question will be whether I can rip the binaural approximation of the Atmos mix off the Blue Ray for listening to it on my music player...

zobalob likes this.
  12. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Thanks and yes the hi-res stereo mix included is the same as the one already issued on CD and vinyl...it could be that this iteration of the stereo mix already has a greater dynamic range than would be found on the CD for example. That would depend on the mastering I suppose. I'm not conversant with the technicalities of ripping Blu-Ray discs I'm afraid but I think it should be possible to rip the multi channel mix to Flac which would retain the hi-res integrity of the files.

There's this thread on the QuadQuad forum which might help... Ripping bluray audio discs

TheAbsentMind and Sacr like this.
  13. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

Thanks! Very useful... Have already ordered my external Blu Ray drive (which was surprisingly affordable), so will report back when I get the disk...

zobalob likes this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Received my Time Out Of Mind BD today. I am going to wait until my brother gets off work and comes over to listen to it. My brother isn't even a music listener but he said he was curious to hear it in surround since I played the album all the time when I lived with him.

Glenn coates and Sacr like this.
  15. CD Addict

CD Addict Bonus tracks? Yes, please.

Gonna give this a go in the Sony Betamax player this evening. Just hope the tracking + image stabilization is good.

[​IMG]

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

About 136. Well, either 136 or 142. :tiphat:

17. Percy Song

18. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Still....... always funny.

I’ve actually used that line over the years plenty of times.

19. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Hilarious.....

majorlance likes this.
  20. malcolm reynolds

I listened to the ATMOS downmixed to 5.1 and I really liked it. For those who were curious about that "glitch" at the beginning of "Love Sick" it is still there on the stereo version. I didn't notice it on the ATMOS at all.

21. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

To clarify: when you listened to the stereo mix from the blu ray, the glitch was still there (as we would expect); when you listened to the folded down atmos mix, you didn't notice the glitch, or it isn't there?

22. malcolm reynolds

Didn't notice it.

23. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

You didn’t order the ‘glitch mix’ then? Mystery solved.

timnor likes this.
  24. Percy Song

It's difficult to find time these days, what with the repeats of "Bargain Hunt" and "Homes Under The Hammer", and the endless reality show bunkum: "A Place In My Sunbed", "Escape To The Country Pub", "Cops On The Lash", "Kiss My Pixel Too", "Sling Yer Hook Or Have A Go" "Britain's Favourite Shirker", "From Worker To Shirker", "Is It Hoarse Or Is It Carthorse?", "Dancing In The Kitchen", "Celebrity Weed My Lawn", "Cross The Atlantic On A Dog Sled"....

However, I found a dusty old Blu-Ray player, located an HDMI cable (gold connectors, no less - I must've stolen it) and hooked it up to the TV. I was given two options, "Audio" and "Album", while a loop of "Dirt Road Blues" played in the background waiting for me to make up my mind.

I chose "Audio" and got this:-

[​IMG]

I pressed Enter and nothing happened, so I pressed the "Down" arrow and got this:-

[​IMG]

I pressed "Enter" and, again, nothing happened.

So I scrolled down to "Back" and a screen came up with the two options again: "Audio" and "Album"

Knowing that doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result is a sign of imbecility, I selected "Album", and got this:-

[​IMG]

"Love Sick" started playing. I think the glitch was there but I wasn't really concentrating that hard; I was just delighted that some sound came out from the TV. I guessed that if I remained passive the whole album would play but I didn't have time to wait that long because "The Bidding Room" was about to start, besides which it was a lovely day outside and the crocs needed feeding and the lawn needed weeding. I think I went down to "Main Menu" which brought me back to the options "Audio" and "Album"

I think what I'm saying is that over here in Percy's Manor it's not Atmos yet, but it's getting there. (Well, it isn't really getting there at all, but at least, by buying the disc, I've given myself the option of acquiring it.)

Small point: kinda funny peculiar that there is no mention on the screen that this is the Time Out Of Mind 2022 re-mix. Unless I've missed a step somewhere in the available options, which is certainly possible. It would've been far too much to ask for a menu of images of the Track Data Sheets, obviously....

enro99, Sacr, Themigou and 4 others like this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]listening now, ATMOS

Percy Song, Sacr, Forty links and 2 others like this.