Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Ok, I've got a new theory about BS17. It's most likely wrong of course, but if I'm right, I expect Steve Hoffman himself to remaster me.

So what if there's been a late change of mind regarding BS17? It was gonna be Time Out Of Mind, but due to the discovery of a 'holy grail' that's better than anyone ever expected (remember this has happened with The Bootleg Series before) they've shelved TOOM and are hastily preparing...... well you guess, it could be any one of those mysterious sets of demos (The Rundown Demos) or missing studio sets (er, I dunno, but something) that you/we've been speculating about forever. Or they've uncovered stuff that makes The Villager an absolute imperative.

Pure speculation of course, but it helps occupy the days as I wait for this blasted heatwave to pass!

You heard it here first :)

PS - apologies to anyone who's now got a notification about a genuine BS17 update!

HuntingBare likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My wife remastered me.

The result was totally flat response followed by absolute silence.

3. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

If they did delay a TOOM set in favour of a better than anticipated Villager set (or similar) I’d happily take it if it meant we get TOOM later and another set now, one that’s a great BS release like Another Self Portrait and not a massive letdown like Travelin Thru.

KCWhistle and Williamson like this.
  4. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Had Delia stuck in my head last night and watched a killer 2000 version on YouTube. That led me down the rabbit hole, and now I'm listening to DylanRadio this morning. The bug has bit me again.

The Bard likes this.
  5. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

I fully expect Bootleg Series 17 will be Time Out Of Mind. My guess is an October release with an announcement very, very soon. Trying hard to be patient and visiting this site daily for news. Can’t wait to see this tracklist. Hoping for the Supper Club covers (Delia, Jack -A-Roe, Weeping Willow, etc) plus some Bromberg tracks (Polly Vaughn). I would also love to see “My Blue Eyed Jane” from the Jimmy Rodgers tribute.
    As much as I love Tell Tale Signs, I think this one is gonna be amazing!

Williamson likes this.
  6. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

There hasn't been.... and they have.

7. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

while i'm as angry and anxious as the rest of you, i find it kinda absurd that, due to lack of an announcement, y'all are seriously considering that it won't be released until next year or that they've suddenly changed gears. i've been anxiously awaiting these every year since they started to roll out almost annually and i recall some announcements not coming until late August or even September. i was never convinced they were going to try to release it on TOOM anniversary anyway. really, what difference would it make? would it even sell one more copy just because it comes out on the same day the album did? my guess would be an announcement in the next month and a release in November.

jlf likes this.
  8. Spoilsport ! :)

Percy Song likes this.
  9. Have they uncovered new old stuff that makes The Villager even more of an imperative?

10. Another Self Portrait was the one I was thinking about..... wasn't that released because they accidentally stumbled across those sparser earlier mixes?

I didn't buy Travellin Thru, never convinced that I needed to hear the Dylan/Cash stuff. Heylin got that one right.

11. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

we can dream, but there will still be some who don't like it

12. zombie dai

i was reading a thread one time about a man releasing bootlegs and it starred gregory peck

CBackley and jamiesjamies like this.
  13. zombie dai

i fully expect once there is an announcement, a new thread will be created for people to speculate about all of the bs to follow 17...

14. Percy Song

I'm not angry or anxious. I'm as relaxed as the bread dough I kneaded and placed under a bowl this morning. Nearer the time, I'll probably be wondering whether I should fork out for the eye-wateringly expensive LP box as well as the wallet-emptying 5 CD deluxe set and the quite-reasonably-priced standard edition or spend all that money on heating the broom cupboard in Percy's Manor for twenty minutes this winter. Don't want the brooms getting iced up.

"You don't need it," said Mrs. Song, this morning.
    "Yes, I know," I replied, "but it is Time Out Of Mind. You know, "Standing in the Doorway", "Trying To Get To Heaven", "Cold Irons Bound", "Love Sick" and all that."
    "We'll be doing all of those things if you spend our winter fuel allowance on this stuff."
    "The government won't let it get to that, JoJo!"
    "Government? What Government?!"
    "Hmm. I take your point."

:)

15. Ha!
    It might actually get worse than that..... we might not be able to turn our record players on!

16. Percy Song

It depends how you define "new" and "old" and even, possibly, "imperative", given the many differing opinions that have been expressed on these threads. I'd hope, whenever you open your parcel, you may mutter, underneath your breath, something along the lines of, "What a marvellous delivery that was." :)

17. Very good :)

The Bard and Percy Song like this.
  18. Better him than all these kids in here trying to make a name for themselves.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Anxious and angry is now called "anxry"

as opposed to "anxient" (anxious and patient)

Justin Brooks likes this.
  20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

They are not late with an announcement, so there's little reason to think this is the case. A well trusted source has confirmed here multiple times (and recently) everything is on course. He did mention another release already in the works for next year so perhaps there is a surprise there.

I think we just get over anxious here sometimes and minds start to wander. I'm guilty of it too.

jlf likes this.
  21. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I'm a vinyl fan and buyer but unless there is exclusive music I have little interest in the 10LP version. That's a lot of flipping and breaking up of the sequence they usually do a great job crafting. I'm sure the books will be cool though.

22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Have we reached or passed an expected date of announcement?

23. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

no

asdf35 likes this.
  24. Percy Song

Neither...

jlf and asdf35 like this.
  25. zombie dai

officially nothing exists so any time frame will be, at this point, arbitrary, based on prior releases

asdf35 likes this.